1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA on ABC] Is the NBA Really Only 4 Teams?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sabesque, Apr 4, 2010.

1. sabesque

sabesque Member

I've always looked forward to hunkering down and watching some hoops on Sunday. I like getting a chance to see some teams other than the Rockets, and supporting the NBA on national, broadcast TV.

I've noticed this year, more than I ever remembered, there's been a complete lack of interesting games on ABC. I turn on the TV and its Boston or Cleveland or LA or Orlando. So i looked into it. Out of 15 ABC games its dominated by those 4 teams:
    - Out of 30 possible teams playing, 22 are those four teams.
    - Boston and LA plays 6 times each
    - Orlando and Cleveland play 5 times
    - There are only two games that DON'T involve one of the four teams above (SA vs Denver, SA vs Phoenix)

And, its essentially those teams playing each other:
    - Out of their 6 games, Boston plays Orlando twice and Cleveland twice
    - Out of their 5 games, Orlando plays Boston twice and Cleveland twice
    - Out of their 5 games, Cleveland plays Boston twice and Orlando twice

So my questions:
    - Does the NBA suffer from a complete lack of storylines?
    - Are these the only teams/players the NBA thinks we want to watch? or wants us to watch?
    - Is the NBA only as interesting as its top teams/top stars?
    - Wouldn't the NBA be in better shape as a whole if it were to showcase more of their teams?

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

MLB baseball just consists of two team: yankees and redsox so at least we have 4 in the nba.

3. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

I think they just want to take the suspense out of it, crown the lakers champs and bask in how good they are for an entire season before they win it. With the mainstream media it never feels like a competition amongst 30 teams.

4. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

The Cardinals, Cubs, Phillies, Dodgers, Braves, Mets and Angels get plenty of love in Baseball.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, MLB does a decent job of focusing on different teams. This is mostly because the divisions actually mean something in baseball.

The White Sox and Giants also get a lot of attention.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I read somewhere, or maybe on the Bird/Magic doc on HBO, that during the 80s it was Boston in game 1 and LA in game 2 and during the 90's I remember it was Jordan or NY EVERY Sunday so this is nothing new. I just don't like the presentation of the product, much rather go back to the NBC days.

7. sabesque

sabesque Member

I'd love to see a little more diversity in there... It doesn't bother me that it's always one of those four teams as much as it bothers me that its those teams playing each other.

Let's see LA v OKC, or Cleveland v Atlanta.

8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Oh yea, don't disagree, just the way it has been since Bird/Magic. I hope Durant takes off because I LOVE the way they play and would love see that squad get some more national TV time. Atlanta and Milwaukee are two other teams that should get WAY more time then what they do.

9. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

NBA is all about BOS/CLE and LA/ORL, all about the matchups that would be gotten hyped up. :rolleyes:

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I used to watch the NBA on Sundays religiously.

I find myself watching infomercials or COPS these days.

I get tired of seeing the Cavs, Celtics, Lakers, Magic playing.

I'd like to see more teams get some run such as Denver, Dallas :rolleyes: , San Antonio :rolleyes: , Atlanta, Portland, and New Jersey because we all want to see Yi.

11. 523744

523744 Member

Thats why the NFL is dominating American sports right now, their national tv schedule is the best, showcasing almost every team.

Anyone remember the triple and quadruple headers on Sunday on NBC back in the mid to late 90s? Those were the days..

12. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Yes.. i notice this every week. All they do is play the top teams which makes sense but is still unfair

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

14. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

They put on what people want to see. Numbers don't lie.

Blame the audience.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is why I have NBALPBB. Today is one of the few times I've watched an ABC game. Don't watch TNT very often either. NBALPBB has allowed me to completely disconnect with network coverage and not be held hostage to their narrow choice of teams.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I dont mind watching the same top teams play, if I wanted to see a bad team,bad coaches, overrated players, soft players,fat/bad trainers, I would just watch The Houston Rockets. :grin:

18. acefan18

acefan18 Member

This^

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

NFL benefits from not having many games to begin with. You can build anticipation to watch the only game for the week your team is going to play, even for the lesser teams.

Then some NFL teams dont play each other for YEARS. You cant show a manufactured Texans/Cowboys matchup multiple times a year, can only go by their limited section of opponents. If Cowboys play the Lions next and its the 4th/5th best game on the league's schedule, its what they gotta show.

Basketball they can create more matchups cuz they have more games. So I guess cuz they CAN, they do.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Youre telling me the nfl isn't always playing the cowboys and brett favre down our throats.