1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Names Top 15 Coaches in League History

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DreamR, Feb 8, 2022.

1. what

what Member

Hubie Brown has forgot more about basketball than Kerr, Rivers or Erick will ever know.

plutoblue11 and B-Bob like this.
  2. what

what Member

Also other than Gregg popovich who is clearly the goat, the current NBA coach that I think might be deserving of that list would be Tom thibodeau to be honest.

3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I'd rank KC Jones, Pat Riley and Phil ahead of Pop. Those guys not only had to manage super personalities and coach them, the league was practically a UFC match every game during their tenures (with the exception of Riley's Heat time...and maybe Phil's Laker time). Pop and the later coaches were in a much more physically-controlled NBA.

I'm with @B-Bob, Cunningham deserves to be in the conversation.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thanks! I was thinking about it, and he actually outcoached Nellie on the regular and held his own with KC and Riley. But just not enough body of work I guess.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What an absolute crock of s***. Whoever created that abomination of a list can go **** themselves.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Where are Kevin McHale and JB Bickerstaff?

B-Bob and Nook like this.
  7. Salvy

Salvy Member

What number is Silas? If he is not on the list I wont even bother to see it...

8. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Doc Rivers! I guess this list makes him "Overrated" again.

If he didn't get carried by KG and Company, what did he contribute to the game?

Nelson, D'Antoni, Sloan, Adelman, and even SVG never won titles as coaches, but their schemes have a lasting impact on the league to this day, and maximized whatever talent they had. You put any of those coaches on the 08' Celtics and they win that title, and likely win in '10 too.

But what systemic legacy does Rivers leave behind? What style of offense/defense was his making? Closest I can think of is ICE, but crediting that to Doc instead of Thibs is like crediting MDA for Bizdelik's 5-man switching defense.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That Celtics team's dominance was all about their defense, and it seems to me that the lion-share of the coaching credit for that should go to Thibodeau.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

B-Bob, Nook and Salvy like this.
  11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Tomjonovich is the only coach to win multiple titles and not be on this list, isn't he?

It is strange how little credit he gets for those championship teams.

Killatron 2000 and BigM like this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Evaluation of coaches is extremely subjective. Unlike players, they don't have statistical data to rate them other than wins and championships. But it can easily be argued that wins and championships are more about the players than the coaches.

Also, different styles of coaching are good for different situations. There are very few, if any, coaches who are good for all situations. Is a coach who makes mediocre talents a good team better than a coach who wins a championship with a stacked team? The annual COY award seems to go that route, namely, a coach who bring surprising results with a not so talented team. But if that's the case, those who won a lot of championships (Auerback, Jackson, etc.) may not even deserve to be on the list. But they are normally viewed as historically great coaches because of the chips they won.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Didn’t they also make a couple rule changes off of his coaching style? The backing it in with Dream and Barkley and then something iso wise with Francis? Can’t remember exactly. He literally changed the game lol. Either way, he’s ridiculously underrated.

14. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Sloan was mostly good at calling for his team to run PNR again, showing them ways to take more cheap shots and yelling the F-word at them. Doesn't belong on this list.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

My brain supports the former and my heart the 2nd... but Rick the Ruler won nearly 2x as many games as Rudy T over his career.
    His old Blazer teams were pretty amazing, as were his Sac teams, and he obviously over-achieved with our gang in Houston. Strange that his peers wouldn't support him.

At one time, 91.8% of CF thought he should wear a monocle though. (@SamFisher)

SamFisher, heypartner and Easy like this.
  16. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Bill Russell won 2 as player-coach.

B-Bob and durvasa like this.
  17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's amazingly coincidental how most of these coaches had multiple HOF players on their teams for most of their careers

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  18. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Without those coaches to develop them ... </sarcasm>

19. lnchan

Supporting Member

Well Adelman did make Petrovic the most overqualified 3rd string point guard until Nash sat behind Kevin Johnson, Jason Kidd, and Sam Cassell. Petro sat behind Porter and... Danny Young?!?

20. lnchan

Supporting Member

Don Chaney is offended.

SamFisher and Easy like this.