1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA moving 2017 All-star game from Charlotte due to anti LGBT bill

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by James Hardashian, Jul 21, 2016.

?

Do you like this move by the NBA?

Poll closed Jul 26, 2016.
  1. Yes

39 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    35.9%
  3. Who cares

15 vote(s)
    19.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Exactly. The LGBT community in Charlotte got robbed as well because there are a lot of things happening in the city during all star week. Nobody ever really wins this.

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

At an absolute minimum, I'd say the city that gets the ASG wins.

3. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I think the NBA doing this is the right thing to do, and to be honest I wouldn't be mad at the NFL for pulling the Super Bowl from Houston it would just mean less traffic that week and thats a plus for those who commute to work daily.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I guarantee you if that were to happen Clutchfans would be s****ing bricks for weeks.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good for the NBA. They took a stand for the right thing to do. Sadly the folks in Charlotte and elsewhere enacted some pisspoor legislation. They made their bed, and luckily the NBA and others are facing them to lie in it.

1 person likes this.
  6. dharocks

Pretty ignorant of you to hold HB2 against "the folks in Charlotte"

7. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

Exactly, Charlotte did the right thing in putting in anti-descriminatory protections. The NC General Assembly is who made a mess of this.

8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The NC general assembly is directly voted in by citizens. Either, they don't represent the constituency, or the public has an archaic, backward opinion. Either way, any explanation for the behavior of NC intimately falls on the citizens of NC.

I have yet to hear a good defense for the bill. I'm curious, is there one?

9. dharocks

I think you're misunderstanding.

The NC General Assembly and the Charlotte City Council are two different things. That's why I'm not holding this against the people of Charlotte.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, but they are part of the state. I'm sure Charlotte didn't support it as much as some other parts of the state.

11. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

In other news, Ivanka trump is blazing hot.

12. thejav

thejav Member

Stupid reason to move and deny a city a great economic boost..how many of those weirdos actually watch sports anyways..

1 person likes this.
  13. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

huh? :confused:

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Check back in 5 years after San Francisco has won 5 straight.

15. MistaK

MistaK Member

LOL really? I know plenty of 'those weirdos' you are talking about, many of which watch, AND you aren't gonna believe this one, actually play sports themselves!!!

Weird how people seem to think that 'those weirdos', just because they are 'weirdos' can't enjoy or play sports simply because it involves handling a ball...if you really think about it for just a second, they of all people, have plenty of experience handling balls...

1 person likes this.
  16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The Charlotte Coty council is also elected, by none other that the people of Charlotte. Not only this, but they are elected by an at large vote, meaning district grand meandering is irrelevant. If anything, the council is even more representative of the people of Charlotte than any other governing body they possess.

At what point do we stop making excuses? this isn't some random act of God. This isn't an economic crisis. This event, and its consequences, were completely predictable.

17. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

The city of Charlotte was widely behind the bill that the City Council passed. So much so that the City Council nominees that ran on passing the anti-discrimination bill won handily. This was part of every platform that won and a lack of support is what showed at least one incumbent the door.

Following the passage of the City ordinance, the NC General Assembly, which has Charlotte to thank for over 30% of NC's GDP, created and ran through a bill in less than one day that allowed for no dissent, no discussion that not only removed Charlotte's right to create protections for LGBTQ, it also made it illegal for any City to have greater protections than the State. That impacted Durham, Raleigh, Greensboro, and Chapel Hill as well IIRC.

There are half a dozen lawsuits against HB2 (what the State voted in). There is a massive list of corporations that came out against HB2 in May and now there is an amicus brief, signed by 68 companies, that aims to have the bill struck down as unconstitutional.

So not sure what you are saying about completely predictable - except the one about Charlotte passing greater anti-discrimination protections which is what council nominees ran on (and were elected on) last year.

18. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

The Charlotte City Council is elected by the people of Charlotte, you are correct. And the City Council voted FOR a pro-LGBT local ordinance back in February which dis-allowed for businesses to discriminate based on gay/lesbian/trans. The more controversial part of the bill was one which allowed for transgender people to use the bathroom they identify with, rather than the one they were biologically assigned. Conservatives feared this meant men would all of a sudden start identifying as women and sneak into girls' bathrooms, but again this law was only in effect in Charlotte, where folks were mostly liberal.

The North Carolina General Assembly, which is voted upon by the entire state (consisting of largely conservative rural towns and proportionally smaller liberal cities) of has had some history with local cities passing more progressive laws that the state has dragged its feet on. They called in an emergency session, and overturned what Charlotte had previously approved. The law they voted in, not only overturns Charlotte’s ban: It also prevented any local governments from passing their own non-discrimination ordinances, mandates that students in the state’s schools use bathrooms corresponding to the gender on their birth certificate, and prevents cities from enacting minimum wages higher than the state’s.

So basically, a liberal city in an overall conservative state was trying to do the right thing, got punished once by the conservatives and now again by the NBA. I'm not sure why you think anyone is making an excuse for Charlotte.

It sounds like had they simply NOT voted on passing the local ordinance to begin with, no attention would have been drawn at all and the NBA all-star weekend would have taken place in Charlotte, resuming business as usual.

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

If all bathrooms were non-gender we'd have less farting in there. Just kidding, we'd all get over it in 5 or 10 years and start sharing our gaseous blessings more equally. Then people will start farting everywhere, not just the bathroom. Then we'll be more healthy because we're not holding in poisonous gas in our bellies. I think it will work. And it will probably piss off ISIS as well and that's probably a good thing. ISIS sucks. NC is pro-ISIS. I think I just figured out what my vote is going to be on this poll.

20. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Well, this guy (http://www.nba.com/warriors/staff/rick-welts/), Jason Collins and Bill Kennedy have all come out as gay. So it's not even so much about the fans this may be a move to protect their employees. Or their employees urging the NBA to take a stand on the issue.

I guess it's not as weird as you think.