1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA minor league?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by The Cat, Jun 12, 2000.

1. The Cat

The Cat Member

Stern's statements
    Minor league planned; Hill might miss Sydney
    Posted: Monday June 12, 2000 04:32 PM
    http://www.cnnsi.com/basketball/nba/news/2000/06/12/stern_comments/

INDIANAPOLIS (Reuters) -- The NBA plans to create a minor league of its own modeled after its women's subsidiary, the WNBA, and the new league could turn out to be “infinitely growable,” commissioner David Stern said on Monday.

In his annual “state of basketball” news conference, Stern and deputy commissioner Russ Granik also addressed injuries to two U.S. Olympic team members and NBA attendance, television ratings and rules changes.

Granik said the National Basketball Development League will open in November 2001 and that announcement of specific cities, names and other details will begin this autumn.

Stern said the NBDL would be helpful in raising international interest with exhibition games and would help “grass roots marketing basketball in small cities where we're going to continue to grow this game on a national basis.”

And he said the league would help the NBA develop “coaches, assistant coaches, marketing, public relations, a real human resources pool... And, of course, we will be developing basketball players as well in our own particular way.”

He added, “We talked to all of the minor leagues about possibilities of cooperation, but for us, the ownership and direction of our own development league is critical.”

Success with the WNBA encouraged the decision to wholly own the new minor league, Stern said. “I think the WNBA is a model that we like, and I think that the development league is something that, if it works, is infinitely growable.”

Would it make money? “Marginal, but profitable nevertheless in a broader sense,” Stern said, just as the WNBA “showcases the greatness of this game to fans that might or might not otherwise be interested, at a price point that's terrific. We see that as very good for the overall game of basketball.

“The D League, as I think it'll come to be known, is going to be focusing on the game in smaller markets.”

Granik said players would have to be 20 by Nov. 1 of the year in which they would compete in the NBDL, but younger players drafted and then cut by NBA teams could also play.

Do you guys think this is a good idea? I like it. It could really help us knowing how our guys like Venson Hamilton, Tyrone Washington, etc. are doing and it all would keep them from the expense of moving to Europe.

------------------
    Cheaters never win. Unless you play for LA that is.

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited June 12, 2000).]

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

Thats a pretty good idea. My suggestion would be to make the Clippers and Jazz a minor league team. Jazz because no superstar in their right mind would want to play in Utah. Clippers because, well they are the clippers. while they are at it, they should just hand Lamar Odom to the Rockets and take the rest of their sh!tty ass players to the minors.

------------------
    MANGO - Get in my BELLAY!

3. The Cat

The Cat Member

How about we keep the NBA teams the way they are and have the minor league champion play the Clippers? That would make for an interesting matchup...

------------------
    Cheaters never win. Unless you play for LA that is.

4. themugg

themugg Member

I think that's a good idea myself, the minor league would give guy's the chance to develope their game, plus it would give the players a second chance should they get cut from the NBA.

The Clippers vs The champion would still be a joke!!! The Clips wouldn't even be a 500 team in the minors!! Sorry Clips but thats just reality!!!!!

------------------
    TheMugg

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

When the Rockets move to Louisville, maybe we'll be first in line to get one of the original devlopment league teams! I'm sure they'll be in no position to complain about the Summit.

------------------
    http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/