1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA LOCKOUT??

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RAYRAY, Jun 16, 2005.

1. RAYRAY

RAYRAY Member

After the Dallas-Rockets series i haven't been keeping up with the NBA as much. I don't know if this thread has ever been posted and if so you can lock it. Lately I have heard of rumors that there might be an NBA lockout and I don't know if its true...can anyone explain why there may be one and why?

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Should be in NBA Dish, but I'll make it quick.

With the way things are going, we are most likely headed for a lockout. I believe the old CBA is going to expire on June 30th and they haven't been close on reaching terms on a new one.

Reports said that we are going to have a lockout, but they weren't sure if it will last long enough to effect regular season games. But I don't think teams are allowed to hold training camps if there is a lockout IIRC.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The Collective Bargining Agreement between the players and the owners is about to expire which means the two groups must either extend it or agree to new terms. The main points are always money with the secondary points used as bargaining chips. The main money issues are the percentage of revenue that will go to the players (currently 57% I believe) and the maximum lenght of veteran contracts (the owners want to shorten it to decrease the dead money still owed players who can no longer perform IE. Matt Maloney). The side issues are a minimum age for NBA players (Stern wants it to be 20 but will accept 19) and the drug testing and enforcment policy.

Both side are claiming these negotiations could end the game but the truth is The NBA is too much of a cash cow for them not to reach an agreement. It is just a standard contract negotiating technique to claim an impass and blame the other side right up to (or even a little after) the self imposed deadline.
    Unlike Hockey, the owners in basketball are making money or at least the resale value of the teams is increasing enough that teams are still a good investment. The players in the NBA absolutely will not want to see their income stream stopped for very long. After all they have families to feed.

Fear not chicken little, the sky is not really falling. We will play the NBA in 06.

My prediction: about a six week lockout, then they will agree to extend the current contract while they negotiate for next summer.

#3 Dubious, Jun 16, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I think they are going to reach an agreement before the lockout. It's all posturing until crunch time.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think there will be no '05-'06 season.

6. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

I think you're even more delusional then the owners/players.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think that's not possible. Actually, Stern's the only delusional one...let's hope the power mad ass is gone soon. He's about to single-handedly ruin the NBA.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm getting the sense that it won't happen. They nearly had a deal before, the owners have made a pretty fair concession (increasing min. guaranteed player cut of revenue, increasing avg salary by a mill, etc) for their reduced demands (19 yo age limit, 1 yr reduction in max contract length, 6 percent raises in contracts).

The gap between the two sides is miniscual. In fact, if I were your average player, I'd be filing up Hunter's voicemail screaming at him to take the deal. A lockout just isn't worth the incredible pain it brings to all sides. The last CBA was a powerful jolt to the system. This one is a minor tweaking of the nipples.

Evan

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

...and if Ric Bucher is right (and he usually is), sounds like this should be a wrap! Hooray!