1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

NBA Live 2003 Update

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bacteria10, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

1st Post? EA Marketing Rep perhaps?

2. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

lol...naw...bacteria is my gay ass roommate...shhh...don't tell him...

i'm just trying to help out the n00bs man! give him some support in his struggles as an untouchable.

3. cujo

cujo Member

I read on a game si te post that Calvin Murphy was a good commentator in the game? Is he in the game?

:confused:

4. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

what is this? was the thread-starter paid by EA or something?

Live doesn't even compare to the 2k series, graphically, gameplay, options,ect...

#24 UTweezer, Oct 8, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2002
  5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Better graphics? Is it just me, or does anybody else think the 2k players always looked like pumped up WWE wrestlers rather than NBA ballers? The players look more like real humans in Live as opposed to large shouldered hulks in 2k. You also can't overlook the music of NBA Live. They have songs from Snoop Dog, Busta Rhymes, Brandy with Fat Joe, and Monica with Jermaine Dupree. There's one song called "Blao" by some guy named Hot Karl where he sings "when I throw another Dream it's gonna fall of course, I'm wearing the goggles that Kurt Rambis used to sport." That has to be the best lyric of any song from a video game period. I don't think anything will be able to touch the freestyle control either. How in 2k3 will you be able to actually choose the exact move you execute?

6. ScreamingRocketJet

Played them all and, very surprisingly, NBA inside Drive is the best by a mile.

That is if, like me, you want a 'sim' type game.

I played the Clippers and got dunked on about 10 times. Next game was Utah and not a single dunk on me until Stevenson came on at the end. Utah were MUCH slower in the game than the Clips...

Great trade model, draft, real play sets...and the best graphics. Best of all, the actual arena's.

I am surprised it gets less cred, but I guess that's their own fault for making it an x-box only game...less people can play it.

I have played them all for a decade...it's the best sim I have come across. Really looking forward to the 2003 version.

Before that, NBA 2K1 blew me away.

Live has always dissapointed. Same arena's...same playing styles...boring.

7. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I read that someone rented it and he was NOT in the game. He wasn't on the Rockets or the free agent roster.

As for the graphics of the two, I've seen those close ups on the NBA2k3 thread comparing the 3. IMO, NBA2K3 looked better than NBA Live. However, they were not that great looking before. The music doesn't really impress me. Music doesn't make a video game, unless its one of those dancing games. As for the dribbling, I've heard NBA2K3 had added more moves to dribbling. I think a double crossover is the most notable. Post up moves are better as well, and I read you can alter a shot by pressing some button, like on a layup. NBA Live sounds likes it improved, though. I'll just check them both out.

BTW, if Inside Drive is truly the best, that sucks. I have no X-Box. :(

8. bacteria10

bacteria10 Member

Yo UTweezer,

I am definitely not an EA rep or anything. I just felt like sharing my experiences, since I do live at austin, and I got to play an early version of it. Just wanted to let you all know how the game is, that's all. I'm also a 2k3 fan. At the end, I'll probably buy both. But my experience definitely gave me something to talk about. I argue with Hoopgod13, my roommate who brought me into this forum. So there's nothing more than that.

RC Cola, you know... I've been trying to contact an EA rep, to ask them about Yao Ming. And now, I doubt he's on there. But I'll know 100% by today, my game has arrived. Gotta go downstairs and get it now. I'll let you know all the details by tonight gang.

bacteria

9. bacteria10

bacteria10 Member

Hey guys, I got my copy. Some of the questions that I must answer are these:

1. Yao Ming isn't on the Rockets Roster.
    2. Rockets' classic jersey, as well as other classic teams, are there... And you can choose what team jersey you want to play during games.
    3. Right analog isn't as simple as I thought. I like to interpret it as a street fighter kind of idea here. By tapping the right analog stick, it doesn't mean you can crossover jsut like how older titles have it with the special button. But it's "how well" you tap it. In the same sense, you have to execute a quarter turn + punch button to execute a fireball at the right time and moment, just like how you would tap left and right at the right time to execute a killer crossover from Francis. Sorta like that. Also how fast you tap it also changes the dribbling speed. So the freestyle is up to the user now, user finger maneuver is now considered a heavy, if not the heaviest factor in the game to determine who's better and whos not.
    4. Steve Francis is awesome in this game.

more to come...

bacteria

10. RC Cola

Have you checked to see if there's a Free agent section? He might be there. Or maybe not.

11. bacteria10

bacteria10 Member

RC Cola,

Man I'm sorry to say. But Yao Ming isn't in the free agent center either. But I've already created him. lol

bacteria

12. RC Cola

Oh well. I created him on the last one anyway. Just hope they have some stuff for him. I had to make him white in the last one. :D

13. ThaFranchise33

Sup bacteria10

Let me know if darius is on the clippers or the cavs. Peace

14. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

I'm considering checking out NBA Live for the first time ever. I have gone with the 2K series for a while now. Although I am satisfied with it and the graphics and gameplay are good, I'm left hanging in a few areas. I keep wondering why designers don't include the little things that players want. I'm kind of hoping that Live will include some of these improvements.

Anywho, in NBA 2K2, I really don't like the manueverability of the menu. It's very akward. I've always been disappointed with the player create mode. first of all, you can not put the created player in the dynasty mode, or in its draft. What's the point, right? I've also been frowning on the player create options. There's hardly any different facial features, you can't customize body fat, or weight, and how can I say this without sounding discriminatory, but there isn't any realistic white-guy hair styles.

I'm most disappointed with the dynasty mode. It lacks a lot of user details. This includes a very poor scouting of college players section. It doesn't give any details on their height, strengths and weknesses, who should be a top pick, or where they went to school. It should be more like the Madden football games, where you scout college players, it tells you their strengths, and it shows you their projected round. I also don't like the fact that you can not trade plaers for draft picks or vice versa. All of this makes it hard to carry on for multiple seasons because you start to not know who any of th players are. Oh yeah, and the player ratings fluctuate too much in the dynasty mode. Steve Francis might be a 98 one year, and the next, he'll come back ranked 85. I don't like the fact that there is no coach options. You can't resign coaches, or find new jobs, etc. There needs to be a practice mode, in the dynasty, where you can take players to work on their games. The better you do in each area of the practice with the player, the better your overall rating and rating in that area will become in the games. There also needs to be the option for players to gain height and weight through each progressive season.

These are just some of the things that are missing from the NBA 2K series. With the addition of some or all of them, it would turn a good game great. Hopefully Live will incorporate some of these. Sorry this is so long. This isn't even a big subject with me. I just like being creative in this subject.

15. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

I got my copy of NBA 2K3 yesterday....here are some observations:

1. This game ROCKS.
    2. Yao Ming isn't on it, but I am sure he will be available via online updates (which I am not sure if Live has, but I know that 2K3 has).

3. The new ESPN layout is really cool, and you don't even have to listen to a bunch of lame Stewart Scott soundbites. If this is the format inwhich the NBA will be broadcast on ESPN, I am definitely looking forward to it.

4. The Rockets' roster seems to be pretty realistically rated, although I think that it's time for Francis to be rated in the 90's. I still can't believe that Yao isn't on the roster. Neither are Tito, Oscar or Tierre.

5. The gameplay is probably the best part. If you are a fan of realism (well, as realistic as a video game can be) and sim-like sports games, this one's for you. The AI is very solid, and the controls seem to be pretty responsive.

6. The graphics seem as though they might have taken a slight step back from last year. Don't get me wrong, the graphics are VERY nice, but the player models look a little stiff and they don't resemble their real-life counterparts as much as in years past. You can, however, actually see the sweat on the players but while this is a nice touch, I don't really think it's THAT necessary.

All in all, after playing both 2K3 and Live 2003, I defintely think that even though Live has made some improvements, 2K3 is still the best Basketball game on any platform.

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

ign has their reviews up for both games now.

the x-box scores were

nba2k3 - 8.9
    nba live 2003 - 8.4

pretty close, both are recommended with 2k3 as the hardcore sim and live as the arcade-type. hard choice, i've gone with 2k the last 3 years but i'll have to rent them before i buy this time.

one thing i didn't know was that calvin murphy was the color guy on nba live. the reviewer gave him props too. hmm, playing with the rockets would never be more real.

17. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

The guy who wrote that review is a mo-ron. Calvin Murphy is not in the game.

18. RC Cola

Is it that same guy from Live 2002? I know he kind of sounds like Calvin. I was really suprised to hear he was in it. It would make sense that he isn't in it, though.

19. ThaFranchise33

yo bacteria10

is darius on cavs or clippers? let me know when you get a chance.

20. bacteria10

bacteria10 Member

Darius is definitely on the cavs already.

bacteria