1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Live 2003 Update

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bacteria10, Oct 6, 2002.

1. bacteria10

bacteria10 Member

Guys, I've just played a copy of EA Sports's new-released NBA Live 2003. And I tell ya, there's a lot of good things going on for that game. Right now, I cannot say it's 100% better than NBA2k3, since I haven't played the game personally. But I can say this, it will be real real real hard for them to beat NBA live this year. Gameplay is tremendous. No longer will we have to face what I call angle-stoppage-time (where a change of possession would turn camera 180 degrees). The game is instant. Instead of playing a 5 minute game with these unnecessary delays, NBA live provides true, real-time 5 minutes of gameplay. Fun factor, without a doubt, is upped to an arcade feel where the player feels like he's playing for his money. Sound, graphics, are "instantly" performed. Cut scenes aren't as annoying as some. In-game menus, popup stats are as smooth as tv broadcasts, if not better. Moves, everything, is much improved to where players have unique moves. I was playing my opponent, and I personally saw Francis did his double pumped while he was alone on a rockets fast break. Dunks, for the first time, looks strong and powerful. Despite all of these, shots were easy to make. Perhaps it was the fact that I was playing on starter level. But fun factor, still outwrites the ease to score.

So it all comes down to this: Should you spend the only 50 bucks in your pocket to invest in Live03 or 2k3? By no means, I'm sure 2k3 will be a great game. But if you want to experience what I just experienced, then without a shadow of a doubt, NBA Live 2003. At least, I ran home and already placed my 50 bucks to reserve my copy online.

If you want to know more about the game, feel free to post and maybe I can tell you more goods and bads of it.

Btw, I beat the other guy so bad, the score was 68-21 in 6 total minutes of gameplay.

bacteria

2. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

bacteria...good first post.

i remember back in the day when i whooped ass on LIVE 95...then the rest sucked. good to know at least EA is being competitive this year then being apathetic towards bball.

Sega Sports is great...i love 2k2 after hating it at first. I love whooping up on my roommate with that shieet. I'll def rent Live 03 befo' making a decision. tks

3. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Don't really have too many questions about Live, but I go ahead and ask a few, I guess.

Is Yao Ming in it? I've heard rumors about him being "Rockets Center" to him being a free agent.

Have you tried the franchise and if so how is it?

How do you like the new freestyle thing for dribbling?

Uh... have you tried create-a-player and if so how is it?

Eh...just a bunch of dumb questions. :D BTW, I'm leaning towards 2K3, but I'll rent both and check to see which is better.

4. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

That never happens on either game if you just use the side camera.

I played NBA Live up until PS2, when it started sucking real bad, mostly because of sluggish control. I'm open to giving Live another shot, but based on the reviews and previews so far it seems like 2K will once again be the superior game.

3 questions for you:

What EXACTLY is this "freestyle control?" What makes it superior to what 2K3 has, where jab steps, triple crossovers, and spin moves are available?

Can you change your shot in mid-air?

Can you do double-drop steps? If it doesn't have this, I'm not going to bother. I need my Dream Shake.:D

5. bacteria10

bacteria10 Member

Yeah, I share the same feelings toward 2k2. I, myself, is a 2k2 lover. I also get the chance to beat up my roommate with that shieet.

bacteria

6. bacteria10

bacteria10 Member

Nah man, they're not dumb questions. Unfortunately, when I played with the Rockets, Yao Ming wasn't the center. However, I do believe that ea might put it out on its final release. If not, his character should be inside the Free Agent List, and all you have to do is sign him. I can get you a fo-sho answer if you give me some time. And too bad, the version that I played on doesn't have the franchise mode(one of the early beta versions), so I can't answer you there.

Now, the freestyle business. I love it. I've always wished that some sports title was gonna maneuver this freestyle idea on its basketball title. Even tho I still like the fact that we can spin, crossover, and etc... but I sort of liked the fact that they're no longer just a random move on a "Special move" button. The right analog gave me free control on whether I want a spin, or behind the back, or crossover. So, it gives you more of a feel like you're actually playing on the court, doing your own moves. Now, I can see both sides on this issue. Some ppl don't care as long as that special button is there, but I myself, like it more this way with the freestyle business. I have to say tho, that the opponent I played with today didn't get used to the freestyling thing. There was one moment, where I was dribbling outside on the 3pt line, and he was defending me... And all of a sudden, he went turbo-ing at me trying to steal the ball away. So, with him running towards me, I simply tapped the right analog and did a behind the back dribble to the other side. He looked like a bull trying to catch the red flag. It looked real cool on the screen, and everyone was doing the oooaaaahs while watching it. I was embarassed by him on other plays as well, but I won't mention too much about those. Also, I used it heavily on defense. All I gotta do is hold up, and you would hold your hands up against an opponent, and sometimes you can draw charges. Now, this is definitely the first time allows a user to specifically allow the user to move into the lane and draw a charge using this motion. I thought that was pretty tight. But yea, to conclude, I love it.

I've never got the chance to toy with the create-a-player function, but I did see several cut scenes of it. They look nice, but I didn't catch anything seriously unique.

It's good that you're leaning on 2k3... I was once the same way, but playing the game today definitely solidify my decision. NBA live 2003 will win the most improve award. Nevertheless, I would love to see your reply in 2 days, when you rent both titles and tell me which one is better. I have huge confidence that you might say the same as I'm right now. Anyways, thanks for the reply. Your questions are fine!

7. bacteria10

bacteria10 Member

Yo Drexlerfan22,

There's no doubt that you're right, you could change the camera angles, but I rarely see anyone use but that particular angle, instead of the side view. So, why not improve it? Nba live 2003 does it. And yes, you're also right about all the reviews and previews leaning toward 2k3. I mean, I've also been real anxious about the "next best basketball title," but which one? So I spent much time reading reviews, but no one in particular gave me a reason to not like nbalive2003. All of them had the same reason: NBAlive 2003 sucked since it went on the ps2. Hell, these ppl are right! But it still didn't give me a confident reason to not like its next title. So I finally used the ultimate criterion -- Actually playing the game. And after, I wasn't disappointed. I like the fast style game play. I like the coaches getting anooyed. But most of all I like the freestyle. So, I have chosen to give up my 50 bucks on this title, regardless on how good 2k3 can be. NBA live2003 already satisfies all my basketball needs, at least for this upcoming year.

Now, in terms of changing your shot in mid-air. The answer is yes, but I don't think it's part of the right analog joystick control. At moments, I can see Jason Kidd put up the ball in the air shooting, but pumps it back down and up again to avoid getting a block from Shaq. But seriously, im not sure, I can tell you on tues when I receive the title. Now, in terms of the Dream Shake... It's there, it's just whether or not you can execute it.

Thanks for the sweet reply dude.

bacteria

8. RC Cola

Oh, I won't be able to get it by Tuesday, more than likely. Chances are that my video game rental places won't let me rent them until maybe Friday or around then. But I'll reply when I have my answer to what's better imo. Thanks for the answers. Sucks that you didn't get a franchise version...wait, you're a beta tester, that doesn't suck. :D

Hmm...now if only a NBA2K3 beta tester will show up. :D

9. mfclark

mfclark Member

NBA Live 2003 now lets you take advantage of those game controllers with two joysticks/game pads, allowing you full control over all offensive and defensive movements with the hands and feet.

You've always been able to use a spin move on Live...and you can crossover three times if you want. The new control system allows you to perform a lot of realistic moves and, in effect, make the whole game more realistic.

If it looks like it will be a very big game enhancement, I'll probably buy a new controller...I've needed one since I broke the joystick off of the directional pad of my Gravis Pro controller.

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

this freestyle thing with the 2 joysticks sounds interesting ... I've never liked the special move button.

do you have to press buttons as well as using the two joysticks at the same time? I don't think my fingers can do that. :)

Maybe I'll end up renting both now, just to see what they're like, not sure I'll buy either though.

There are aspects of NBA Live that I like better than 2k, and if Live can do something truly innovative with the gameplay then I might lean their way.

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

NBA Live must make sure they include defense in the 2003 version. In 2002, you suck if you can't shoot 90% from the field.

12. RC Cola

Hehe...yeah, I remember that. I was playing against my friend the other day. Even though I had played it more than him, we both had high FG%. I know the 1on1's usually ended up 11-9 or something like that.

BTW, I forgot to ask how is the new rebounding system? It really sucked last year, imo. I heard they were changing it. Is it a lot better?

13. bacteria10

bacteria10 Member

Hey kidrock8, yeah man, I completely agree. Now, like I said in my first thread, making shots in the game was real easy when I played. However, I was playing in starter mode. I ended up shooting 12-14 in 2nd quarter alone. But here's the interesting part, I only kept my opponent to about 10 points. Defense, in this game, is incorporated into the freestyle (right analog stick) control as well. the stealing, by tapping left would steal left on an opponent dribbling left, tapping right would steal rightly on the opponent dribbling right. Blocking is improved completely -- instead of just making the ball drop straight to the ground whenever the blocker "touched" the ball on the shot, they made it into complete swats. In a way, it gave me a little NBA Jam feel, but it's not as ridiculous as NBA JAM where everyone blocks the ball to mid court. But it's more realistic swats. The highlight of my day, actually came from one of those, where I came from the weak side and swatted the ball out of bounds. It was awesome. Defense is another perspective NBA live moved up on. Now, defense is at another level.

Mfclark, the enhancement is big. Definite on this one.

RC Cola, yeah man. Make sure you let me know on how you liked either. It would be cool to see someone to share the same feels out there as I am, since I seem to be the only one at this point to said anything somewhat positive about NBA live. I can't wait tho, to test NBA 2k3 as well myself. In terms of rebounding, it's improved, cause you know what I hate most? I hate it when NBA players jumped too early/late, and the ball just drop in front of them. If not, there are standing-do-nothing players that just let the ball drop to the ground before they pick it up. I hate those. But when I played the game today, I didn't experience that at all. I cannot exactly say that everytime you go up for a rebound, you would get it, but at least, when you miss the rebound, some other player that you don't control would go and get it. Which means, the ball would never drop the ground. It's kinda hard to explain, or I'm just bad at explaining this, but I hope you understand somewhat. But to conclude, rebounding factor also went up into a more realistic, smashing fun approach.

Btw, guys... I want you guys to check this movie out. Notice the announcers, swat, defense, moving up the court, switching camera angles, and finally, dunk. I thought this video was truly representational. Check it out, and let me hear what you got to say on it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://mediaviewer.ign.com/ignMedia...rl=http://ps2.ign.com/objects/480/480714.html

bacteria

#13 bacteria10, Oct 6, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2002
  14. cujo

cujo Member

The game looks pretty sweet. Did you play ps2 or xbox version? How was the graphics compared to last year?

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

there is a pc version, wright???? i thought there would be, and if there will be one, when wil it come out? and the game play will be a lot different, wright?

16. bacteria10

bacteria10 Member

I got to play the ps2 version of it. The graphics is at a completely different level. Last year sucked, like what everyone else thinks. But this year, it is at another level. It gave me a feel similar to what the Movie Matrix and what it sets as standard for the movie industry -- never seen before. I no longer care for the graphics alone, but I care for gameplay + graphics together.

Arno_ed,

There's definitely a PC version. I'm not sure the difference for this one, but the difference from PC to Console versions in previous nba live titles exist on its gameplay. But I'm sure you already know that. The PCtitle will be released 11/12/02 (according to ebgames). I'm not sure if it would make a difference for PC version, since it doesn't particularly include a joystick. So all the freestyle control maneuver might be a little different. Hope that helps you out a bit.

bacteria

17. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

thanks bacteria10.
    i didn't know the release date. i'm looking forward to it, i hope the game will be more dificult.
    does anybody know if Ming will be in the pc version? i know i can download the new rosters,but it is more fun if he is already in the game

18. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Hey bacteria 10.

Are the Rockets home white jerseys from the 1994 and 1995 in the game?

19. ThaFranchise33

Yo bacteria, whenever you get a chance, let me know if bostjan nachbar is in it.

20. bacteria10

bacteria10 Member

You know, I didn't get to see that one. But I would have to lean on the fact that they have it. There was some controversy on this issue, and I heard that NBA live is including classic jerseys. So it's most likely there.

Yo ThaFranchise33,

Bokie is definitely on it. His 3pt shooting is crazy, I saw this guy used him and pulled up 2 threes in a row with a man in his face. So, no worries there...

bacteria