1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA League Pass for chord cutters?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JMAD21, Oct 7, 2017.

1. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I have Playstation Vue, so for the past couple of seasons I have split the cost of LP with my dad and just watched online. Now he is also cutting the chord. Can I get LP without a cable/dish provider? I know PS Vue doesn't offer it...

2. what

what Member

You can. It's confusing though. You need the nba app. Just called nba. You then would either need a smart tv or fire stick or chromecast to watch it on your tv.

I hoped I answered your question, which I think is if you don't have cable how do you watch league pass on your tv and can you, right?

3. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Does it support Roku?

4. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Yes thats the question. Also, we live in East Tx, he lives in Henderson, I live in Nacogdoches, will it be blacked out?

Thanks for the help.

#4 JMAD21, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  5. what

what Member

I'm not sure completely if it will or not. I am not completely sure if you can use a VPN when you are streaming to your tv. I would suspect that you can't. As far as east tx, I am not sure either if it would be blacked out.

You could, in theory, hook you computer up to your tv video the video card and then you could use a vpn, but that is kinda inconvenient.

6. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Im good simply watching on my laptop if thats all I can do. Thats all I did last year. But that was when he lived in Lubbock so I don't know if the blackout rules will be different with the new address...

7. what

what Member

Yes. I was going to say that also, but I forgot the name. lol But it definitely does.

jchu14 likes this.
  8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

You don't have Apple TV?

That's how I watch mine.

Bought an Apple TV, the NBA app is already pre-loading, I log on, and then I'm watching it perfectly on my tv.

9. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

But you have to log on with your cable/dish provider?

10. Exiled

Exiled Member

Opera VPN is free to bypass blackouts NBA pass

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

There is league pass for tv

And league pass broadband for mobile devices.

I don't think they work together, I've never seen a tv account log in for the apps

I beleive the computer, Xbox, iPad, Apple TV work with the former. However it also only works if you are out of market and if it is not a nationally televised game. I live in Colorado, so I get all the non nationally televised games via the app since I cannot get them on tv. If you can get them via your cable package, you likely cannot watch the games via league pass broadband

12. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

No idea if it's a different set up in the US sorry.

I just buy it straight from the store, plug it into my normal tv (no cable connection) and log in with my League Pass details and i'm away.

13. what

what Member

He would be using an online subscription and using Roku to get to the app from the tv. That is why I said it was confusing. Roku and other sticks allow you to stream apps to the tv.

14. what

what Member

No, he is using the app to connect with an ONLINE subscription. The reason you can use an online subscription with a tv is by using an app on the tv. In fact, I believe that the nba app allows you to buy league pass right from the app now. So all you have to do is get the tv to be able to use that app, via, Roku, chromcast, firestick, etc.

Apple tv is basically the same thing as fire stick, Roku, etc.

15. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

How can I get league pass for the rockets if I live in Spring?

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Get a firestick, youtube how to download KODI 14.7 (i could send you the best tutorial video), Google how to install sports app/NBA pass onto KODI, everything and every game free in HD.

17. NateNate

NateNate Member

Are the NBA options better than baseball? Watching the Astros game on Kodi wasn’t the best this year.

18. what

what Member

Or he could just google reddit rockets stream and save himself the hassle.

19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

The streams are hit or miss. Today after the Red Sox went ahead all YouTube streams were blocked. It took me 10 minutes to find an ok stream there and it was in sd. Didn't care as I'm just listening to it while in the pool. The streams I got via kodi last year for NBA were pretty great.

20. what

what Member

The thing that bothers me about league pass is that they STILL broadcast in 780p so it is barley better than you can find on reddit or youtube while you are paying a premium price.