1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[NBA Gossip] Donald Sterling Hates the Blacks, Including Magic

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by percicles, Apr 26, 2014.

1. i3artow i3aller

LOS ANGELES — When the Los Angeles Clippers are old and gray and the time comes to tell their children about the time their basketball world was turned upside down, no two stories will be the same. Each has his own vantage point. Each has his own emotions. Each has his own response.

But the story about J.J. Redick and his surreal first season with the Clippers captures the Donald Sterling experience as well as anyone’s. At 29 years old and having made the calculated choice as a free agent last summer to come play for coach Doc Rivers and this talented team, Redick was exposed to the Sterling dysfunction from the start when his sign-and-trade deal to come to Los Angeles nearly fell apart after his four-year, $27-million deal had been agreed upon.

One of the alleged reasons? Sterling, the man whose racist comments sparked this whole furor, was believed to have had concerns about paying a white player that kind of money. He had once given white center Chris Kaman a five-year, $52 million deal, and how that contract panned out (or didn’t, as Kaman played 195 games in the next four years of that deal and was traded to New Orleans with a year and a half left) appeared to be coloring Sterling’s judgment on this deal. In a way, it was a mirror-image of the issue that would be front and center 10 months later.

“I’ve been told both ways: one, that he didn’t want to pay me because I was white, and that he didn’t want to pay me because I was a bench player,” Redick said. “I didn’t know (the deal almost fell apart) until after the fact. I just got a weird phone call from Doc on July 4, and I got off the phone and said to my wife, ‘Something’s going on.’ He’s like, ‘You better play for me (expletive).’ And I was like, ‘Yeah, that’s the plan. We figured this out two days ago, right?’ “And then he just rambled a bit. … but he never really got into the nuts and bolts of what was happening. And then I got a call about 48 hours later from my agent, and he said, ‘We wanted to keep you out of it, but here’s what happened.’”

~ First of all, have to love JJ Redick trying to be a victim of racism here too. White boy who went to Duke just trying to fit in with his teammates. See guys! I know what it’s like, I was totally judged by my race. Whatever JJ, you’re a millionaire white dude, literally no one in this world feels bad for you.

Second, and the most important part of this story. I can’t tell if this hurts or helps Donald Sterling’s case. On one hand he’s probably the most confused racist of all time. Has a half black half mexican girlfriend, hates black people. Doesn’t want his girlfriend going to games with black guys but is cool with her ****ing a black guy with AIDS. Can’t stand minorities, owns an NBA team. It’s nuts. And this is just more of it. You would think Donald Sterling would want more JJ Redicks on his team. Basically trot out Wisconsin’s starting 5. But no, he ****ing hates white basketball players too. So really this whole story helps Donald Sterling more than anything, because you can’t be racist if you are prejudiced towards everyone equally. That’s just common sense. If you treat everyone like **** based on the color of their skin that makes you an ******* not a bigot. Some people judge others on loyalty or intelligence, Donald Sterling goes 100% off race, that’s not racism, that’s just being consistent. Give him his NBA team back please.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Donald Sterling is just a weirdo.

Like Fran Blinebury.

3. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

If you're putting people in you're perceived roles based on race, that is showing intentional racial bias.

4. torocan

torocan Member

That's bad logic.

You can be racist and STILL stereotype your own race.

For example, you can be a misogynist but believe that women make better cooks than men and worse engineers than men. You can also be a racist and still believe that black people are better athletes than white people.

Part of why racists are racists is because they stereotype the various races. Whether that's viewing blacks as intellectually inferior, asians as passive, or whites having smaller junk than blacks.

And there's nothing to say that someone can NOT be an a****** AND a racist. They do not have to be mutually exclusive.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

so when Redick is discriminated again, Sterling's a weirdo, not a racist?

[lil John]OOOOOOOKAAAAAAAAYYYYY[/lil John]

6. i3artow i3aller

Both of you failed to see the not so hidden humorous element. Bravo!

7. Precision340

Precision340 Member

the dude is just old and ignorant.. I wouldn't label him a racist.. he's more of an old world "classist".. he feels that his kind is better and minorities are beneath his type of people. I'm pretty sure a lot of people of his position in life feel the same way he does.. I was expecting to hear the 'n' word laced all over the recording. He still needs to go though.

8. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Race and class intersect strongly in U.S. history. Through history, race has been a marker of class/economic/social position. Even what you described is text book racism.

He is racist. I don't even think he is ignorant. He articulated his position very well, and it made racist sense in his social world.

Any who, rumor is Sterling really unleashed a tongue lashing on his "silly rabbit" in an elevator before the Barbara Walters interview. http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...tial/spencer-curb-gma-drama-article-1.1777799

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

JJ Redick trying hard to fit in with his teammates ...is another victim of Sterling too.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...5/?AID=10709313&PID=6155705&SID=1x52xay701txr

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Who said being a racist and being a weirdo are mutually exclusive? You should know this better than anyone else.

2 people like this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

lay off the personal insults to other posters. take that trash to the D&D. thanks

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I think no one felt like you made an attempt at humor.

14. noone

noone Rookie

Donald Sterling is a 90 year old man with prostate cancer. You have to consider that with his comments and with computers today you can edit things.

15. torocan

torocan Member

You do realize that thinking that one minority is superior/inferior to another is one of the DEFINITIONS of racism?

Let's see what the dictionaries have to say...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/racism

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/racism

1. The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

And sorry, I don't buy the "old school" mentality excuse.

Did you know that Michael Jordan stated that he was a racist in his youth? However, unlike Donald Sterling, Michael Jorden learned how to change his view of the world.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/b...all-white-people/story-fni2u9cl-1226908171598

People make choices. They choose to listen to the voices of others and see the world through their eyes.

Yes, our backgrounds can shape us and sometimes lead us to darker paths, but ultimately the choices are ours. Sterling owned a NBA team for 33 years. He was surrounded by minorities. He saw for his own eyes the rise of highly successful individuals like Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Quincy Jones, Oprah Winfrey, Barack Obama, Kenneth Chenault (CEO/Chariman of Amex), Donald Thompson (President and CEO of McDonalds), Colin Powell, Condoleeza Rice and countless others.

It was Sterling's choice to NOT recognize them as equal in spite of the living proof in front of his eyes. It was his choice to cling to his outmoded worldview.

Just because you were taught to believe that the world is flat, does not mean you have to accept it as the eternal truth especially in the face of contradictory evidence.

16. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

17. Major

Major Member

For those of you debating the legality of the NBA kicking Sterling out, here's an article about the NBA's strategy:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...d-sterling-los-angeles-clippers-owner-emerges

Excerpt:

While the league's constitution, publicly revealed for the first time by the league last Tuesday, made it clear that grounds exist to remove an owner if that owner "fail(s) or refuse(s) to fulfill its contractual obligations to the Association," it remained unclear what contracts Sterling might have violated when he made his racist statements in a private conversation with his mistress V. Stiviano that was later published by TMZ.

But sources with knowledge of the league's strategy say there are, in fact, actual contracts that it will maintain Sterling violated should he choose to fight the league's desire to force him to sell the team if the league can get the required 75 percent of owners to agree to make the move.

One of those documents, which Sterling signed when he first bought the Clippers in 1981, and signed various amended versions since, states that an owner will not take any position or action that will materially and adversely affect a team or the league. Owners also sign morals clauses, which state that they will be upheld to the highest standard of ethical and moral behavior.

When morals clauses are enacted and result in termination of agreements, including endorsement deals, the courts are often charged with interpreting who was right, but sources with knowledge of the NBA's legal strategy believe that they have enough to force Sterling to sell.

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Off Topic: But MJ's hands are clearly a 1/3 bigger than Lebron's. I like the handshake technique to cover over the discrepancy. You think it was on purpose?

[​IMG]

19. Nook

Nook Member

You are one really ignorant dude....

20. i3artow i3aller

^

As stated before that post was made in jest, but feel free not to read before making asinine comments because that's always smart.

TMZ Update: Sterling is now saying he made racist comments towards V. Stiviano because he thought it would make her horny.

[​IMG]