1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA Gossip] Donald Sterling Hates the Blacks, Including Magic

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by percicles, Apr 26, 2014.

1. torocan

torocan Member

The statue of limitations in California depend on the type of suit (wrongful termination suit vs breach of contract vs others) as well as what law you are filing as a basis (California contract law, EEOC/CRA, etc) and the type of relationship that was held between the two parties (employee-employer vs contractor, etc).

For example if you are filing under an employee-employer relationship and you're filing under title 7 of the Civil Rights Act for discrimination, you typically have 180 days (6 months) to file from the last act of discrimination (termination would be considered an act of discrimination), though you can ask the court to give you as much as 300 days.

Other filings (not EEOC) generally are within 1 year as employee-employer.

Contract breach ranges from 2 to 4 years depending on the type of contract breach.

Here's a quick link for reference specific to California.

http://www.christian-attorney.net/california_statute_of_limitations.html

2. torocan

torocan Member

I think it would be reasonable to include it (and a judge would allow and consider it), as the Clippers' previous lack of being able to field a competitive team was not structural. In other words, there were no factors preventing the Clippers from fielding a competitive roster other than luck and decision making. IE, competitive balance in the larger scheme.

The problem that a boycott and free agents/coaches being reluctant to sign with the Clippers presents is it creates an unintended structural barrier to the ability to field a competitive Clippers team. Whereas you could argue that the Clippers' failure to be competitive was due to poor management decisions and bad luck, the current scenario would create artificial obstacles to creating a competitive team regardless of management skill. In other words, a structural obstacle to the pursuit of competitive balance.

And arguing that it's hypothetical falls apart when the NBA gets affidavits and presents testimony from the NBAPA and the players supporting their plans and positions. The court would have no reason to believe that the NBAPA was not sincere in terms of instructing its members to NOT sign with the Clippers in FA.

Per Title 7, the NBA has effectively insulated itself from charges of HWE simply due to the fact that they are attempting in good faith to remedy the situation. However, the pending court case does NOT absolve the Clippers organization of liability under Title 7 (as the Owner is still Sterling).

If I were Silver, I would have no issue at all with the NBAPA filing Title 7 complaints against the Clippers specifically as it simply strengthens the case for the NBA to expel Sterling.

I suspect that the argument that Sterling's previous evidence of bigotry should have prompted legal action would not be a factor, as there was no "smoking gun" to indicate that he was indeed a bigot. Elgin Baylor withdrew his claim of racial discrimination in his lawsuit. And Sterling settled the DOJ complaints out of court and did not admit guilt.

It would be easy for a plaintiff to argue that they did not consider the previous lawsuits to be persuasive or conclusive evidence of Sterling's bigotry vs socioeconomic profiling, general stereotyping or even unfounded accusations by the plaintiffs in pursuit of a favorable settlement. Remember, Sterling was charged with discrimination against Blacks, Hispanics AND families with children. Hardly conclusive evidence of racial bigotry given the lack of court findings or admission of guilt on the part of Sterling.

I agree. I don't see this being resolved quickly unless Sterling dies or they find an unexpected settlement of some kind.

As for Nook's comments regarding this popping up in court from time to time, I actually think this works to the benefit of the NBA's brand image and public perception.

This is already being aggressively position with the "We are One" campaign. The NBA is very adeptly positioning itself as the "white hats" in this conflict. And everybody loves the White Hat when they're fighting the good fight. :grin:

3. Doktor Mndbndr

This is a political case, not a corporate case. The result has already been decided, and the Sterlings have not been agile enough to make the moves that might save themselves. They had to do such things as immediately transfer ownership to the next generation, to take Donald out of the picture completely, donate at least $20 million minimum to the right causes, put minorities and outside monitors on the board of directors, grovel publicly non-stop, and such to make it morally indefensible for the political bigs to keep on going after them.

At the moment, they're sitting paralyzed in the political gunsights, and they're keep taking flack until they go down.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

[​IMG]

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

The ongoing trainwreck that is Donald Sterling is about to get even uglier as the banned Los Angeles Clippers owner tells DuJour Magazine that he should have paid off his alleged “girlfriend” V. Stiviano who recorded his racist comments that resulted in the NBA fining him $2.5 million and banning him for life from the NBA.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Donald Sterling tells DuJour Magazine: “I wish I had just paid her off.&quot;</p>&mdash; Rachel Nichols (@Rachel__Nichols) <a href="https://twitter.com/Rachel__Nichols/statuses/462342720842121216">May 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol woulda been cheaper than the fine

7. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

"These hoes ain't loyal"

- D. Sterling

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...geles-clippers-says-wishes-had-paid-woman-off

http://abcnews.go.com/US/barbara-walters-interviews-stiviano-abc-news-exclusive/story?id=23569035#

<iframe src='http://abcnews.go.com/video/embed?id=23573836' width='640' height='360' style='border:none;'></iframe><br/><a href="http://abcnews.go.com/us">ABC US News</a> | <a href="http://abcnews.go.com/business">ABC Business News</a>

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I'm curious if Sterling made the comment because he is accusing the w**** of blackmail.

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

No doubt Sterling's views are messed up but he's an old fart who grew up in a different time and the fact is a lot of those people's views from that era did not just change because publicly enforced segregation went away. His views are as much shaped by the society he grew up in than anything else imo. What was said even implicates many others whose flack and backlash he gets from others so he's definitely not alone. But, she is a f**king backstabbing b*tch for doing what she did by recording those private conversations. And, the fact that those recordings made it into the public domain is all on her regardless if she wants to blame her friend who she claims released them on her own. If everyone's private dirty laundy was aired in a public domain, then I'm sure it wouldn't always be pleasant and would be quite shocking what people say behind closed doors versus publicly. Is that stuff even admissible in a court of law the way it was leaked like that? I doubt it.

#1371 Surfguy, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
  12. Awesome

Awesome Member

Problem is he acted out things in public as well so its too bad for him.

Looks like he still hangs with her too so his defenders seem more mad about it than he is.

People only tolerate him now because he has money. Other than that the guy doesn't strike anybody as someone you just love to hang with. Ex Wife can lie all she wants...she's only hanging around because of money

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The NBA, in consultation with the Clippers, will appoint a CEO to supervise operations of the team, per an NBA spokesman</p>&mdash; Chris Mannix (@ChrisMannixSI) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixSI/statuses/462719419773227008">May 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Shelly Sterling will be at tonight's Game 7.</p>&mdash; Arash Markazi (@ArashMarkazi) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/statuses/462741814944862208">May 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Shelly Sterling: &quot;I spoke with Commissioner Adam Silver this week to tell him that I fully supported his recent swift and decisive action.&quot;</p>&mdash; Arash Markazi (@ArashMarkazi) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/statuses/462742300599541761">May 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Shelly Sterling: &quot;We also agreed at that time that, as a next step, both the league and the team should work together to find some fresh...</p>&mdash; Arash Markazi (@ArashMarkazi) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/statuses/462742531353362432">May 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>...accomplished executive leadership for the Clippers. I welcome his active involvement in the search for a person of the utmost character.&quot;</p>&mdash; Arash Markazi (@ArashMarkazi) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/statuses/462742671447318528">May 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

#1373 J.R., May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
  14. Awesome

Awesome Member

She is absolutely batty

15. i3artow i3aller

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mx9pXSaAAps" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. i3artow i3aller

-I’m his confidante, his best friend, his silly rabbit

-Do you think Donald Sterling is racist?

-No, I don’t believe it in my heart.

-Why the visor?

-I’m hurting, I’m in pain, it hurts to see someone you care about hurting.

"Holy ****ing **** do I hate this chick. I’m not going to defend Donald Sterling for a second but you know who is the scum of the earth? The person that tapes their “best friend” saying racist ****, releases it to the public, then soaks up every last second of public attention she can get saying he’s not a racist and just misunderstood.

Oh and saying you didn’t release the tapes, that one of your friends did by accident or without your permission. **** off. If Donald Sterling is a racist scumbag you’re a slimeball weasel that is basically everything wrong with our Country.

PS

An 80 year old fat billionaire calling this a “silly rabbit” makes me want to puke for the rest of my life." ~ BigCat

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Born in a different time, having different view on the world.

At the end of the day he is still an offensive old man. In today's term he is one.

He shouldn't own a team he can't handle anyway because of his health issues, mental issues and what not.

18. i3artow i3aller

Stiviano reinventing the mask game.
    [​IMG]

19. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Why does the Native American look like a Filipino?

20. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I hope people realize the media is using the recorded conversation as a diversion to Sterling's housing and hiring practices. The reason being that there are many more that are doing this.