1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Game Action : 1/25/2022

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DreamShook, Jan 25, 2022.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

did i miss something? lol

DeBeards and i3artow i3aller like this.
  2. i3artow i3aller

The carmax girl lol

yikes
    [​IMG]

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Pretty much everything she said was inaccurate and damaging to the community

She's attractive though, true

5. i3artow i3aller

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If that is her, then she is as much white as she is black. And Herro is for sure not black.

Not sure who she is but if Herro is privileged, then she might be as well.

I see why she is speaking for the minority though.

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this didn't age well

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

[…]

James Wiseman, sources told The Athletic, did not want to come to Minnesota and play behind Karl-Anthony Towns. LaMelo Ball was curiously quiet and short with his conversations with personnel in the interview process, leaving the impression that he wasn’t excited about being with the Timberwolves. Then there was Anthony Edwards, who made it abundantly clear to them that he was ready for anything they could throw at him.

As Edwards rained hellfire on the Portland Trail Blazers on Tuesday night, dragging a dead-in-the-water Timberwolves team by the scruff of their necks to a victory they had no business pulling out, he did it with a belief in himself and his teammates that is so outlandish that not even the cynicism baked into 17 years of dysfunction and embarrassment can bring it down.

When it was all over in Portland, Edwards put up 40 points on 27 shots, nine rebounds, three blocks and three steals, the fourth time in his young career he has scored at least 40 points. Only LeBron James (eight) has more 40-point games before his 21st birthday. It may have been Edwards’ best game yet, both for the two-way brilliance and for the fact that for much of the game, his teammates just didn’t have their A-games. Portland’s funky defense limited Towns to just seven shots, D’Angelo Russell’s handle wasn’t as tight as it has been and the Wolves were clanking jumpers and layups to fall behind by 13 points early in the third quarter.

It was a game the Wolves could not afford to lose with a brutal four-game stretch of Western Conference contenders looming, and Edwards wouldn’t let them. He scored 14 points in the fourth quarter, including a jaw-dropping four-point play over rising youngster Anfernee Simons that gave the Wolves a 91-90 lead with under eight minutes to play. He made 5 of 13 3-pointers in the game, 9 of 14 from inside the arc and shook off an aching knee from a collision late in Sunday’s win over Brooklyn and a calf cramp after a dunk in the fourth quarter on Tuesday night to will the Wolves to the win.

“I feel like Black Jesus,” Edwards said after shrugging his shoulders. “Yeah.”

Sitting right next to Edwards in the postgame news conference, Russell couldn’t help but smile as he listened to Edwards describe what it felt like to put the team on his shoulders and deliver the way he did in Portland.

“I’m gonna sit back for this one,” Russell said.

But he didn’t argue. That is what Edwards has brought to the table in his short time in Minnesota, a personality as bright as the aurora green jerseys the Timberwolves wear on Saturdays, a belief in himself purer than the waters of Lake Minnetonka and stubborn refusal to succumb to the same old excuses that so many players, coaches and executives have used over the last 15-plus seasons as to why you supposedly can’t win in Minnesota.

Edwards is too young to care about how things fell apart late in Kevin Garnett’s first tour with the Wolves. He has too much swag to buy into the belief that players get held back in a market like the Twin Cities. He doesn’t give a damn that Kevin Love, Ricky Rubio, Andrew Wiggins, Jimmy Butler, Tom Thibodeau and so many others have come through this franchise and failed to turn it around.

Edwards lost his mother and grandmother to cancer when he was 14 years old, drove more than an hour each way through Atlanta gridlock every day to attend high school and eschewed more traditional college basketball powers to play at Georgia. Do you think a little thing like going to work at a place with more than 1,500 losses and only one trip past the first round of the playoffs is going to scare him?

He named his pit bull Ant Jr. Does that sound like someone with a shortage of confidence?

“He’s got such a great spirit about him,” coach Chris Finch said. “He’s pretty much indomitable in that way. His teammates love him, and they love him for not only how he plays but who he is as a player because he’s genuine.”

It would be hard to find a franchise that needed it more, a player with a northern lights smile who won’t take no for an answer. Since Garnett departed in 2007, many have tried to assume that mantle. Love put up the numbers but couldn’t deliver the wins. Rubio brought the charisma and the enthusiasm, but injuries and limitations as a shooter prevented him from breaking through. Wiggins had the physical tools but not the desire to be great. Butler had the toughness and the skill but tapped out after one year. Towns has come the closest, putting up huge numbers and professing his love for the city and the team, but the instability around him has prevented him from delivering on the promise he made to Flip Saunders to turn this team into a consistent winner.

In Edwards, Towns has finally found a teammate he can connect with, one who combines the impossible-to-hate youthful exuberance with a lion’s taste for the jugular and a showman’s sense for the moment. It was all on display against the Trail Blazers, who may have been missing franchise player Damian Lillard but had won six of their previous eight games.

[…]

Towns shook Edwards’ hands as the two went back to the bench, and as he sat down, a smile creased his face. He knew at that moment the Blazers messed up. They didn’t put the Wolves away when they could have. The open 3s they hit in the first half started to miss. The slick passes for layups started to glance off their fingertips and fall out of bounds. The offensive rebounds and hustle plays were eliminated. And now Edwards had them on their heels.

“I saw the man in front of me and I saw fear in his eyes, I guess,” Edwards said. “That was all she wrote.”

[…]

There is nothing quiet about Edwards. He grabbed this game by the throat and squeezed until it bent to his will, and there was never a doubt in his mind that he would take it.

“My confidence is through the roof,” Edwards said. “My confidence in (Russell) is through the roof. My confidence in KAT is through the roof. … He won the game for us (in the third quarter). I’m never thinking the game is over when I got them two next to me.”

As his news conference came to a close, Edwards was asked when he figured he would enter the MVP conversation. It seemed like an absurd suggestion to a 20-year-old in his second season playing on a team that is just trying to break into the playoffs for the second time in 17 years. But Edwards didn’t even flinch.

“It might not be this year, but next year, for sure,” he said.

“Talk to ’em,” Russell said.

It may sound crazy to you, but it’s the exact kind of crazy a franchise that has been lost for as long as the Timberwolves have been lost needs to find its way.

i3artow i3aller likes this.