1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Finals: Dallas Mavericks vs. Miami Heat

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, May 25, 2011.

?

What do you expect to be the result

1. Dallas in 4

6 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Dallas in 5

12 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Dallas in 6

113 vote(s)
    30.5%
  4. Dallas in 7

43 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. Miami in 4

10 vote(s)
    2.7%
  6. Miami in 5

40 vote(s)
    10.8%
  7. Miami in 6

115 vote(s)
    31.1%
  8. Miami in 7

31 vote(s)
    8.4%
  1. what

what Member

The thunder were the best offensive team in the playoffs this year, please don't tell me that you are comparing the Heat's offense to the thunders. REALLY?????

That's crazy talk.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Is the format still 2-3-2?

I'd say this actually helps the Away team more than the Home team.

If the Mavs take either GM 1, or 2, or both, it's hard to see this series going back to Miami.

3. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Have you seen Dallas play this postseason? No way in hell I can believe that Chicago team is a tougher challenge than Dallas (I am sorry but that is the dumbest statement I have read all day and no matter the outcome of this series, it will remain a dumb statement). Dallas is more experienced (very important in the postseason as Chicago just proved in this series), they are deeper, their offense is much better, they have two future HOFers of their own (both of which playing great, especially their most valuable player), their defense is much better than people seem to think it is (coached by Carlilse/Casey, was ranked 8th overall in opponent FG%, they have strong defensive bigs in Chandler/Haywood and solid perimeter defenders in Marion/Stevenson/Kidd/possibly Butler). Miami is the favorites but I think that you are really underestimating Dallas.

Chicago played like utter ****, they had many chances to win games and they just choked (missed freethrows, bad turnovers). Don't get me wrong, Miami played well, but Chicago really played horrible (their star played horrible). They were not a tough challenge for Miami. That is bull**** and you know it.

4. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

i hate the heat but the way theyre playing and with the help of the refs, Dallas needs to make no mistakes and Dirk needs to turn into Bird in order for them to win. Go Mavs. please pull a Rockets 95 finals run.

5. SacTown

SacTown Member

So you think if the mavs win 1 in Miami, they will go home and win 3 in a row?

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

who did the thunder face? nuggets, memphis, and dallas.

denver was 16th in defense, memphis was 14th in defense, dallas was 8th in defense (i'm using fg% allowed)

chicago was #1, boston was tied for #2.

the thunder wouldn't have the best offense if they had to play chicago or boston man.

7. t_mac1

yes, and dallas has been extremely impressive. but i always take a team with elite defense and 2 elite wing playmakers.

8. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

portland and LA suckd thats why.

9. PeppermintCandy

It's going to be tough. The Mavs' depth can be a huge advantage, but depth matters less in the playoffs when the starters are playing the bulk of the minutes. And while Terry's playing great D and doing the intangibles, he hasn't been that same offensive game-changer off the bench that we Rockets fans have come to loathe.

But my biggest question with this Mavs team is whether they can play good enough defense to stop the Heat when it counts. As some other posters have noted, the Heat have gone up against two of the best defenses in the league and have made mincemeat of them down the stretch.

I think Dallas's defense have gotten even better and tougher as they've gotten deeper into the playoffs. I'm just not sure it will be good enough when the games are tight.

Regardless, I'l be rooting for this band of veterans to find a way to beat the superstar gang.

10. what

what Member

Neither boston nor chicago nor the heat can shoot a lick. The shooting percent just like offensive numbers can be influenced by who you play.

I'm not going by statistics IN the playoffs when I say that the thunder were the best offense. I'm going by the personnel and the type of game they play.

Lebron is a terrible shooter and that's why in clutch moments he sucks because if he sisn't getting bail out fouls he can't hit crap. Wade, theoretically, is a good shooter, but hasn't been in the playoffs and bosh is a girl.

The heat are going to be owned by dallas.

11. Mr. Space City

12. t_mac1

have you watched the finals in the past 10 years? it's all been ugly dominated by defense.

13. amaru

amaru Member

I've said it once and I'll say it again.

I don't think any real Rockets fan should be rooting for any team beside the Rockets.

But do what you will.

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The format helps the home team because it's very hard for the road team to win all 3 of the middle games.

15. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Yeah but it also involves great players making plays. Dirk and Kidd are both clearly on a mission this postseason (it is more than likely their final chance and they both realize that). Both of them have the ability to step up when they need to. Rose was intimidated by LeBron, I can guarantee you that Dirk will not be. Their experience can be key in this series. No denying that Miami has great players capable of stepping up, Dallas needs to find ways to contain them.

Dallas' defense is more capable than you think it is. They cannot stop LBJ/Wade, no defense can. But with guys like Stevenson/Marion/Kidd/possibly Butler, they can try and slow them down. With defensive masterminds like Carlilse/Casey, they are capable of throwing many different creative defensive sets to try to throw them off.

I get what you are saying and you are bringing up alot of good points, I just think that you are underestimating Dallas.

16. Kurupt the Kingpin

The "Lebron is not clutch" argument just needs to stop already. Has he not done enough this postseason to put an end to this?

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Despite being in a decrepit state, I can't underestimate Jason Kidd on the defensive end. He might not even be a third of the athlete he once was, but he's still a crafty defender. Among the best at the guard position, IMO.

He might have a field day if Dwyane Wade is still hung over....

18. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Seems like Clutchfans members belong to two groups:

1) Those rooting for Dallas cuz it's a Texas thing
    2) Those rooting for the Heat cuz they hate the Mavs

I fall in group 2, F the Mavs!

Heat too much firepower. Heat in 6. Cuban, Terry, and the Mavs cry again. :grin:

19. PeppermintCandy

Miami's played some stifling defense this postseason, but how good are they really? They've gone up against the Celtics and the Bulls, two teams with elite defense but problems on the offensive end. They have yet to be really tested against a great offensive unit like the Mavs, one where they can't just focus on shutting down a few players.

Hmm, maybe the Mavs have a better chance in the finals than I initially thought.

20. NewBigThree09

NewBigThree09 Member

hate the Mavs, but HATE the heat
    I can't stand my friends who are bandwagoners...
    they suck the heat's **** everytime the conversation even comes close to basketball