1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Draft Trade Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 3, 2021.

1. DonatelloLimestone

Allen has been working on his shot, but yea turner is a better player and hes in his mid 20s. He has 2 years on his contract, so are you thinking of a 2 year rental while we're literally rebuilding in bringing in his talent and then what? He'll also command a heavy contract bc money is going up and as you said so far hes a better player.

Right now there is 4 who are almost stuck at the top and they all have star potential, Cade, Green, Mobley, Suggs...kuminga and Johnson among others have star potential as well. you easily risk going from an all star to role player when you dump from 3-6. Even if you don't like mobley, i'm not super high on him but i can see why they feel his potential is there, easily with his physical tools. theres still a lot of potential in this draft, and next year too where we have our unprotected pick before we embark on our okc draft pick journey.

I like mitchell. hes still a 22 year old rookie with a low ceiling in theory. He looked great and posed, but he won't be coming in next year and playing great as rookie and doesn't fit the timeline in then going for mile turner for 2 years. Hes going to b a rookie, one who isn't an elite athlete so he'll take time to have his pace. even if he turns out good, it wont be next year. so then why go for it with wood/turner(who i like) then mix them with developing talent to have a tweener team. As for playoffs? who is falling out? Warriors next year? Memphis? Lakers? Jazz, suns?DEnver, utah? Dallas?...point is there is no 'easy playoffs'. We'd be hoping for the play in but then again based on a rookie mitchell? Even good rookies sruggle to win in the begginning add that to miles turner who is a good shooter/defender but needs to be fed. along with talent in wood and maybe kpj finds his consistency but we're still looking at a team that maybe a hard out, but has no depth, is young as hell, and still working from the bottom and that doesnt account to if wall will stay half injured or likewise with gordon. a very, optimistic outlook to put in bets on and more so letting go of even incremental picks and potential for the cost o 2 years of mediocrity makes no sense for a franchise up and coming.

Especially given where we are as a frnachise, rememeber we were the worst team in the tleagueg last year. We aren't getting any hot shot free agents, unless we lose draft capital in a trade. to go in for 2 year rentals of a guy like turner we are riskign prepetual mediocrity of trying to compete for an 8th seed exactly like the pacers when we have the opportunity to lay the foundation go for teh best talent and next year and then be set to build uipon.

2. H.D.

H.D. Member

Kuminga has about as much "potential" as anyone in the draft, assuming you know what the word means.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rather take Mobley or Green with 3rd pick instead.

Denovo, saleem, jimmyv281 and 3 others like this.
  4. Landry's Tooth

Turner to knicks for 1 of their 2 first round picks.

Now they are at 92 million leaving them about 3+ million under the cap after signing olynyk.

Brogdon might fetch 2 first rounders...

Lavert might go for one... he did before...

They don't have terrible contracts, they just lack a super duper star... sabonis is good on offense...

5. Possum

Possum Member

Don’t get the Mobley dissing in here. He’s a legit young 7 footer with a huge 7’4” wingspan who excels at blocking shots along with the fluidity and athleticism of a wing. He is the closest prospect to a unicorn in this draft. I wouldn’t hesitate to take him number one overall.

D-rock, jimmyv281 and jch1911 like this.
  6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

If we're lucky enough to keep this pick we draft one of the top 4 guys.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  7. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Gotta dunk that, Boban.

8. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Keep our top 4 pick, and get this best available. Trade our 23 and 24th to move up and pick up Jackson don’t think he will be available when we pick. This would give us a Capela type player on our roster we our light on prospect bigs.

D-rock likes this.
  9. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I love the the balance of players Dallas has they can go big or small and are relatively the same team in terms of caliber.

10. Landry's Tooth

I think you're assuming the rockets have all those injuries again and young players don't improve. They were a borderline playoff team last year with pretty good health.

Also, Turner may have 2 years left but so does wood. What you get is a chance to choose who you want and you have picks to replace a big man...

What you don't want is 5 years on a less proven guy for more money. I like Allen. He's a poor man's capela. I'd rather have capela for 25% less cap space. I'd rather have Turner's 3pt shooting and defense.

The upside is less with Mitchell but given his age there's probably less risk. I see him as a marcus smart level player. We need that on our team because it's something we don't have...

We score points. Our defense is awful. We need guys who play defense and fit the offensive system. The elite shooting will also help since wall and porter are striving for mediocrity as 3pt shooters.

D-rock likes this.
  11. DonatelloLimestone

They werent a borderline playoff team, they had a spark of a run to go 10-11 after lifted from the weight of the harden drama. that happens after trades. What we do have is a gritty, chip on the sohulder young team that competes. Thats a hard out for the nba, but its not a playoff team, definitely not a hard playoff out. you need more than gleaguge talent off the bench like we did. Coudl we surprise people sure, but how much use of it compared to actually building a proper house foundation next year to try to reach totwards actually competing is more important.

Like I said, I dont know out of Utah, Phx, Denver clippers, Mavs, Lakers, Warriors, Memphis, portland, will be stepping down or even when you consider pay rolls or depth and talent who we can compete with. So then goign and getting worrse in young assets, spending more on veteran talent in a year where maybe our ceiling is the 7th/8th seed is that really a smart rebuild? Not only do we get lower pick in the draft as you suggested we also get a lower pick next year thats unprotected for us and we still don't make a dent. Do you r

consider the spurs success this year in the playo in noteworthy, is that what you want for the rockets?

I'd take Turner vs allen if its an equal thing, but we're considering as assets. In 2 years Miles turner will be making more than Allen.And what will have accomplished in the next 2 years? Our ceiling is mediocre play in next year even. You literally only gain 3s, a little in blocks as allen is also elite but turner is better. but you lose in boards which is also important tot us. its not as definitive enough to lose an asset for this. Allen is right now a poor mans capela nad look how capela continues to grow, tilman got lucky his agent didnt force their leverage on that contract. Allen is young, elite at what he does, only getting better including his corner 3 hes shown comfort with and more so we can trade the asset with his age almosts any time next 5 years or even a sign and trade. More so we coudl'e showcased him like oladipo and tradedh im the same season without the pressure of no leverage since oladipo was a pure unrestricted this offseason.

The upside is less with mitchell, but if he turns out to be dj augustin who i think is stable, very talented, former highly touted pick who was great in college that doesn't mean much except a good role player. If you're a championship team getting a win now, it makes sense i like mitchell. for us, it makes 0 sense. mine as well get augustin or a young vet to play almost the same role. I would love a marcus smart, or a beverly that we had. Iwouldn't use a 6th pick on that as if its going to be our missing piece. we go from the worst team in the league in to ...mediocre, not exactly what houston needs.

The timeline, the talent, the plan just don't pan out. I give this 0 chance

12. Landry's Tooth

You make valid points but i think you're missing a flaw... you're assuming your high upside guy pans out when the odds are better Mobley is Bagley and not Bosh.

Drafting for need gets results quicker. I'm not worried as much about the next superstar, I'm more concerned about helping Porter be that guy by putting shooting and defense around him which is his weakest area of his game.

I don't think jalen suggs makes porter any better than mitchell would.

I think having rim protection for when porter is beaten off the dribble makes sense while he's still growing...

Yes, i do think a team that had a record number of starting lineups will do much better with health and stability. I don't see how we have less talent than the grizzlies... if drafting players the first pick is morant but the second, third, and possibly fourth picks are rockets...

I think they could be as good as dallas potentially... luka is a great player but his team is mediocre... relying on kp to be healthy is unrealistic...

13. Landry's Tooth

Also, most young teams don't go straight to a high seed and a championship without being a low seed first and getting experience...

Notice the suns couldn't do it until paul came in...

14. DonatelloLimestone

I agree that the draft is almost always a crap shoot. but if you go back in history to all the top 4 picks, look at hte percentage of hits vs top 6, top 10 so on. its much much better. Draft has never been an exact science.

And to bagley's defense, the guy is sitll young and to have a different scenerio and coach with leash might unleash a lot more out of him. so much basketball is about cohesion and the stats are determined based on system, based on spacing,and how much leash you get from your coach. very few players are harden and james who can dominate anywhere.

Likewise with Mitchell. whose to say he pans out in the nba? he played solid in college, but thats college level its always hard to see the translation. He looks skilled, poised, and mainly whats encouraging is he hangs his hat on defense that should transfer over, but top 4 pick Dunn also had the same reputation. So the best on the top 4 over the guy who may go anywhere from 6-16 with hell be 23 by the time hes drafted. Its as much of a crap shoot as you said about mobley, but maybe more so. Mobley you'll know at hte very leasy youre getting size and athletics, but then a lot is dependent on our player development. Whose to say tilman will invest in those details like other teams. Silas seems competent at it, but we need an entire oundation.

We don't need quicker results ,we want em. I get it. this year was depressing, but since we're at the bottom, our house is burned down, lets build it right, lets focus on a foundation that we can build on is my point of view. That means get the absolute best talent and assets and build up right rather than an injection of a spark and mediocre in the future. Thats why giving up assets for a team in our situation doesnt make sense. thats why most teams that draft for need.

Porter is young with little experience. he just showed brilliant flashes in a losing team. I could see mitchel complimenting him well, but i wouldn't be so certain about suggs. Suggs plays in an equal opportunity offense and hes way more athletic than mitchel. The nba open court game will be much better for him to use that athleticism that deems him to be elite and also arguably with the right coaching he can shore up and have more defensive potential in that way as he has the tools. his shot is mediocre but once again his form doesn't need significant change, with nba trainers he can be a respectable shooter and more so get alot more attention to make kpj be able to work and also not have to carry the load on offense ot the point that he can't focus on defense too. Once again we're talking about a 19 year old vs mitchell who is 23 with 4 years of college, the indicment on suggs and him and kpj who may be playing several years and growing together its hard to put a ceiling on him.

Rim protection makes sense, its hard to say mobley can't provide that. allen could've provided that too. I like myles but the timeline, the cost, and the assurance of all this or lack there of doesn't make me take the bait especially trading down a pick in our situation.

memphis just have more depth than us, they have more experience on us and that counts. Its a tall order to put a rookie in mitchell and expect him to start and lead us to playoffs in the most important position, its a very tall order and a bigger leap . Memphis has the non headliner guys like Kyle anderson, dillon brooks, grayson allen and even jonas who dropped an efficient 17-12, while on a nod to jarret allen, now hes upto shooting a 3 a game and being at least respectable where you cant sag off.(22-16 per 36, woods is about 23-11) Dillon is averaging 17 for a winner and is showing a knack for gritty elite defense. And then also ,remember were comparing that to a 9th seed. Is that really the ceiling we are looking for? So maybe ja goes first, kpj goes 2nd, christian wood goes 3rd in your draft....but after that I'd take the grizzlies over our guys. lathough I am huge that Tate and KMJ are keepers(hope we keep them for the logn run, can see them adding so much to a winner)

As good as dallas as in you see us being a 5th seed next year? And plus, luka like lebron is a generational player. we're not talking kpj potential stardom, we're talking GOAT stardom whose picked apart and dominated the court even in his first playoffs and doing it at a high clip. Wow, if that happens ill be excited at the game. this is a fun team to root for. but i'm tryign to understand a tenable way to get back into sustainable contention, not just a steroid injection next year or two into mediocrity and first round exits. The homerism is natural, There was anotehr guy who said he wouldn't trade nwaba and house for Thybulle and Maxey, so ntaurally we connect to our players and hope the best for them, but i just don't see it in this case.

I'd love to be proven wrong and we get that 5th seed and mitchel and myles turn kpj into nba's next star, i'd be excited, but I don't see that happening. I take the top 4 pick, choose the best potential, set a foundation work onour player culture,development actually pay staff and reputable names like the other franchises you mentioned are and rebuild our brand as a real franchise, as a destination. But yea, from this yaer at last place we can only go up with our terrible injuries and with the harden **** show early on. and ill be happy to see what silas can do. even when we lose we had a competitive team. And we also have kelly olynk. I think with cap room we'll have 20 million to offer him where we stay under the tax apron, lets see if it happens he was a joy to watch. Not sure if it fits our timeline, but in your case it definitely does

sydmill and BallaDoc like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Like the Capela comparison.

But skillset, length, perimeter defense and athleticism really reminds me of Ray Spalding when Spalding came out.

And Spalding was able to gain 20 lbs since he was drafted 3 years ago, like Capela.

Unlike Capela, Spalding has a 3ball. And more importantly, Spalding can show and go from the arc.

Rockets should be able to re-sign Spalding on the cheap.

But yeah, big fan of Isaiah Jackson too.

Shark44 and jimmyv281 like this.
  16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

No way you get turner for the 19th pick

17. Landry's Tooth

I didn't say so. I was pointing out if they wanted to unload Turner's salary without taking anything back it would be simple...

There are 3 or 4 teams under the cap who would absorb him and pay out picks...

18. Landry's Tooth

Another thought i had was if we get #1 and okc saw Cade Cunningham as their next Durant and wanted to build around him as a player well known in the state already what they would give up?

Could we move down to their pick and get all our old picks back?

I would have to think about that as an opportunity to reset the mistake of the Paul-Westbrook deal... would be nice to have all our picks back and still get a top 10 pick this year...

Caesar and fattz like this.
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

KPJ
    Cade
    Wood
    KP???

D-rock likes this.
  20. fattz

fattz Member

Yes I would do it. It would reset the clock and make us in control of our future. We still would have a high pick as well.