1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA Draft] State of the Cap: Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsMAN!, Jul 17, 2008.

1. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

We're never going to hear the end of the injury plague until Tracy/Yao survive an entire season together and break through the playoff's 1st round.
    I pretty much agree with what he said. DAMN I'm ready for the season. If you're just reading my comment, there's no new information about anything that a regular Clutchfans.net reader/poster hasn't picked up already. :D

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Nice overview, except that part. Whoops. Perhaps he meant Steve Francis.

3. luisantonio1014

We can't really use Mike James at all cause I think he's with the Hornets.

4. luisantonio1014

and if he meant Stevie, then that doesn't make sense cause he was injured most of the season. I think Steve can still make a contribution to this team.

5. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

I thought the same thing about his 'James' comment and I was ready to FLAME :mad: the guy because anyone of us here would have known that James is no longer on the team. But I held back :)

6. Th3 Drunk Goat

Yeah he was probably playing nba live 08 or nba 2k8 when he wrote this.

7. Th3 Drunk Goat

Look at the lakers, their best point guard is Derek Fischer. Also the Celtics don't seem to have a problem not having a great point guard either against the west. The point guard position hype i think is getting way to out of control. I think the bulls are going to regret passing over michael beasley big time.

8. x3ldonx

x3ldonx Member

Rafer is good enough! I agree that we could pick up a better back up PG, one with good experience but not such a shooter like BJ... As Far as Aaron Brooks, I don't know, I still don't think a PG his size can make it in this league against player like Chris Paul... Especially when we are always going up against Derron and his Jazz. I like Rafer he played phenomonal in the playoffs, obviously his presence was felt winning the 2 games he did play in. Its about confidence and reputation... Going up against Aaron Brooks or BJ will not give us conf or rep. But maybe Stevie... if he's healthy. Man I can't wait to see him play again!

9. JOHNNYN

JOHNNYN Member

if you didnt know, derek fisher is more than what his stats show him to be. he is also a defensive presence against his opposing point guards with his amazing basketball IQ and also very clutch. and their back up PG being jordan farmar is said to be capable of playing starting PG if derek wasnt there by lakers coach phil jackson. and farmar even has his own clutch moments

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Our bench has gotten better but some of the guys who are starting like Rafer and even to a certain extent Battier aren't starter material. I'm not saying that all 5 players need to be all stars( which would be harmful) and I'm aware of Posey's and Bowen's contributions too but we aren't that good.

Head hasn't been reliable of the bench in the playoffs and Novak is limited in what he can do as well.

We can beat average to above average teams but we do struggle against elite teams barring some good wins over them.

11. ghost

ghost Member

I am surprised the author didn't just make an assumption and give Barry the bi-annual exception of $1.91M the first year and then add 8% of that amount to get the 2nd year of the deal. All the financial info is speculation anyway, unless you have access to the annual NBA audit.

12. lastmanstanding

What amount does the lux tax start at?

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

So funny. I was really buying into his analysis, but he lost all cred with the Mike James statement. He probably thought Mike James was in the dog house the second half of last season and never saw the floor. Too funny.

14. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I agree with the article in most parts. Especially that Rafer is a terrible shooter, a sub 40% shooter, and not that great of a passer, and being our best PG that indicates a problem for us.

Get Mo Williams! With Sessions/Lue, I'm sure they'd be willing to move Mo and his contract to get playing time for Sessions and Rafer as backup.

15. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I like Mo as an upgrade. One problem is that he has a 4-year contract plus two years of player options.

Perhaps, this is a deal that could materialize before the trade deadline. Bobby J's contract would be close to a match numbers-wise. Maybe, we could throw in Head if they want him.

Jackson for Williams straight up is legit: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=376~2178&teams=15~10&te=&cash=

Of course, there may be better options for us.