1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA D-League to experiment with 4- and 5-person crews

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by 92i, Dec 12, 2016.

1. 92i

92i Member

2. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

I think it will improve.

You'll get a ref on each side plus a ref close by.

ramotadab likes this.
  3. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

It's gonna be a ref infestation on the court, with players constantly crashing into them, which will result in ejections, then suspensions, then disbandment of the league as no players are left to play.

Bad idea.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

i think we need at least 5 on the court so each match-up gets its own ref (pg, sg, sf, pf, c). then two extra refs to watch out for traveling and flops.

TheMystery008 likes this.
  5. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I think it's a good idea to try it and see if it works. Of course, they have to stay out of the way of the players, but if they can do that and get more correct calls, and less bullshit calls, then it will help the game and it's integrity. Refs should also be able and willing to correct bad calls by officials who are out of position and/or make the wrong call....especially when reply will confirm it. And a coach's challenge system would be great and awesome I think. Ultimately we all just want the correct calls made so that the game is fair for both teams.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

They should have 50 refs court side and take a quick poll for every call. We have the technology.

7. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

They should have an extra ref but he should be on the sideline, reviewing the game as it happens.

3 refs on the court, doing as they do.

1 ref on the sideline that monitors calls and offers quick reviews in the case of out of bounds, fouls, etc.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Great ideas. We don't really need refs on the court when we have cameras following each match-up. They just sit in a sound-proof room (to eliminate crowd induced pressure) pushing buttons. When more than half the refs have pushed a button, an electronic whistle will go off. Computer will announce the verdict on the call.

Do we have fast enough servers to make sure the lag time is below 5 mini-seconds?

You do need some enforcers on the court to intervene when fights happen.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

a much better solution for rockets games is to have cf ref the game through the game thread. then have tinman ref lin games.

RudyTBag likes this.
  10. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

I think I'd rather have only 2 than 4 or 5. There are more unessassary calls than missed calls. Unless somehow by having more refs it allows each one to have less to monitor, resulting in less imagined infractions, then, no, I don't think so.

11. marky :)

marky :) Member

Nice. Can't wait to see 6 refs do the charge/blocking motion but 3 do the charge motion and 3 do the blocking motion at the same time.

TracywtFacy, Jontro and I am a Donut like this.
  12. Rox11

Rox11 Member

In addition to those have one on every corner of the court as well as body cameras on the players!

13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I think its actually a good thing. Keep one ref under each basketball hoop and one on each sideline. Gives 4 angles at all times.

Only problem is I could see a serious increase in foul calls, which the league won't enjoy because its not entertaining and slowing down the game.

14. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

this would create a black hole in the universe

16. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Would love to see six refs do this in unison:

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

17. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I experimented with 4 or 5 person crews in college once. It was a crazy night. Will not disclose the male to female ratio.

18. clos4life

clos4life Member

No disclosure? All sausage and no buns.