1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA.COM: The Starter's name Patrick Beverley as "The best on ball defender" and more.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jvu, May 29, 2014.

1. jvu

jvu Member

2 people like this.
  2. jocar

jocar Member

Overrated! What a bunch of Lin haters! :grin:

1 person likes this.
  3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He reminds me so much of a young sam cassell. He is all heart. We need a good vet pg to be a role model for the guy.

4. kastuul

kastuul Member

He plays hard.
    He didn't stop elite PG, even in the regular season.

Did his defensive energy motivate Harden?

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

He contained Lillard in the regular season (and post season until his fever), Curry fairly well too, they'd just explode when he was off the court, but he doesn't have the telekinesis power from the bench unfortunately. Wolverine != Jean.

6. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

He plays hard but his defense is definitely overrated.

7. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

He plays hard but his defense is definitely overrated.

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Not since his knee injury. Pre injury definitely in the conversation

9. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I'd give it to Tony Allen. Love Pat though.

10. JazzLakerHater

I love Bev and what he brings, but I'm still not convinced he's a starting point guard on a championship team.

11. TheJet

TheJet Member

These kinds of posts get under my skin. Let me guess, you're one of those posters that equates opposing players box score to the corresponding Rockets player at the same position?

Even the best defenders rarely shut down (stop) elite players one on one. It's been discussed time and time again, defense is a team concept. And the majority of the Rockets, including coaching, fall below par there.

Pat does play harder and with more heart than anyone on the team. Part of the reason he IS such a good defender is his hustle, heart and attitude. He can't help it if someone else makes a mistake going over/under a screen. He doesn't control Harden's mental lapses letting people back cut him all day. He has no control over Jones's awful rotations. But to discredit his defensive ability because he didn't "stop elite PG" is totally unfair.

Pat's defense may be overrated by some, but to insinuate he's not a good defender makes me wonder what you're watching.

2 people like this.
  12. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

When healthy, Bev's easily the best on ball defender. He completely shut down Curry and gave Lillard & CP3 problems during the regular season. Kudos to him

13. bmd

bmd Member

Teams screen the crap out of Beverley. He's not the best at fighting through screens.

He also plays too tight sometimes and gets beat on the drive.

He brings more ball pressure than any other player in the league... but that doesn't necessarily equate to being the best defender. He's a good defender, but I don't know that I'd say he's the best on-ball defender in the league.

14. anchel

anchel Member

Also best off ball defender at his position. Just best defensive PG in the NBA.

15. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Hard to find many examples where Beverley held a good PG under his numbers either pre-injury or post-injury. His real value is in picking up loose balls, overall energy and he seems to be a good teammate who has good rapper with starters and reserves.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He is nothing like sam. Sam could actually create shots and I don't remember his D being that good. Bev is a hustle player without much skill.

17. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

Energy especially on hounding the ball and forcing the other team to take shots late in the shot clock. He is a real value add to team defense in that regard.

18. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

He's an excellent defensive player. He was sick and I wonder if he was actually 100% recovered from his knee injury earlier in the season when he had to play Lillard.

Our team perimeter defense is poor too and Lillard is an elite jump shooter, so it was a bad match-up for us with Bev not totally healthy and no other PG or wing defensive players on the roster.

19. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I know, right? And his tough play didn't exactly improve the Astros, either. Not to mention Peppermint Park closing. What's with this guy?

1 person likes this.
  20. jvu

jvu Member

Literally shut down westbrick too;)