1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com] Sam Smith suggests an Asik-for-Rondo trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Contingent, Nov 14, 2013.

1. pnr

pnr Member

This guy knows the deal.

2. dream1222

dream1222 Member

please do it.

3. Play07

Play07 Member

Think you left the #1 thing out (perimeter defense)

4. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

Not really worried about Rondo/Harden, the reason why I would make that trade is Rondo/Dwight.

Rondo is the perfect pg to pair with Howard, he will spoon feed Dwight down low and he knows how to throw the alley oop pass! Rondo would make Dwight a lot more effective on offense.

5. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Yep.Then you have Brooks for offense and Bev to add more for more defense to boot with Rondo who is a great defender. Rondo can be a borderline elite defender who can compliment Hardens defensive woes as well.

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Honestly I would be hesitant to trade even Lin for Rondo right now. The Rockets have little need for a high assist but can't shoot point guard. The Rockets have Lin, Harden and Parsons to shell out assists. And while Rondo is a good defensive point guard advanced stats says that while he is better than Bev, he actually was worse than Lin last season. Not to mention the uncertainty as to how long if ever Rondo will recover from his injury.

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Everybody saying rondo/harden combo can't and won't work because of rondo are mistaken rondo is a true pass first pg he can play with ANYBODY it would be on our franchise player in harden to change his game for the good of the team in order for this to work and it can and it will harden is 24 yrs old but I think he is very smart and mature for his age I'm sure he respects rondos game and I'm sure he's smart enough to know rondo is a better pg than he is so I can see harden making the necessary changes to his game to make it work with rondo and it will pay off in the form of a ring or rings

8. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

Yeah just like Westbrook/Harden wouldn't work, oh and like everybody said Wade/Lebron wouldn't work.

You don't know crap until they actually play together. Quit assuming.

9. maczmina

maczmina Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>On Shumpert, Knicks lack of picks an obstacle in any Asik/Rondo deal. &quot;When dealing w/BOS and HOU, it's all about picks,&quot; rival exec says</p>&mdash; Chris Mannix (@ChrisMannixSI) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixSI/statuses/402243654212780034">November 18, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

So Shumpert is an option for Asik?

Hell give me Shumpert/Hardaway Jr. for Asik and you have a deal now.

Imagine our wing depth.

sg: Harden/Shumpert
    sf: Parsons/Hardaway Jr.

11. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

I'm with you, it's a good move for both the Rockets and Asik/Lin. I'm down with the Rondo trade because I'm tired of iso-balls (yes, calling out Harden) and Rondo will force everyone to move it along. He's a better passer and defender than anyone of our guards right now, would be a good fit for Harden b/c Harden is BOTH effective with and without the ball and I bet Rondo just might force Harden to play better D (competition pushes everyone to try harder). Rondo will probably be much better at getting the ball to Howard. Yes, he can't shoot, but he didn't have to in Boston's championship run & he was still their better player.

I also like this move for Asik & Lin because they can both continue to develop in their natural position. Just based on this year's performance, looks like Lin is a bonafide starter anywhere, the only think that sucks is I think Lin rather be 6th man on a contending team than starting on a lottory team. If we do trade for Rondo, I hope Lin is NOT included in the package.

12. waisoserious

waisoserious Member

rondo on the rockets...........

not enough ball to go around. now you have 3 players demanding the ball....atleast jeremy was willing to relinquish the ball to harden....im not sure rondo would be so generous

13. Play07

Play07 Member

From what it's looking like it could go either way, we may not have to give up Lin. Celtics may just want asik because they are trying to clear cap & want a solid center now. I would pull trigger tonight of that's the case, rondo value is way higher than asiks especially after his situation. So if your morey you don't turn down a Allstar asset. Other trade packages can happen before deadline.

14. Play07

Play07 Member

I rather trade a hurt asik for a hurt rondo vs that young guy in Philly.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

This thread is really odd. I'm 50/50 on a deal that would center around Lin/Asik for Rondo+stuff. But why are people so hung up on offense?

Every game thread and post-game overreaction thread talks about some opponent destroying us. Every thread talks about how our defense is horrible and Harden/Lin/Beverley all get destroyed on D.

Well, now that there's a rumor which would net us probably the best defensive PG and most versatile defensive PG who can guard multiple positions... and all people talk about is offense? I don't know whether his defense would outweigh a potential misfit on offense, but dude is a beast on defense.

4x All-Star
    3x All-Defensive team
    8th in defensive rating among active players
    4x top-10 defensive win shares
    2nd in steal percentage among active players
    4th in assist percentage among active players

Rajon Rondo is a bonafide stud.

16. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Jeremy will be popular in Boston because of his Harvard connection.

Rondo in any uniform not green feels a little weird lol...

17. treeman

treeman Member

Alot of what I'm reading in this thread reminds me of the last time I went shopping with my wife. Se said she needed a new pair of shoes. She was wearing a really expensive, nice pair of shoes that was almost brand-new. It looked good with what she was wearing. She wants the new shoes because she thinks they look better with what she's wearing. They don't really. Me being the guy I am, when she asks "Which looks better? Should I get them?", I tell her "For God's sake, I just came here for an HDMI cable. Your shoes are fine, don't waste your money."

I'm having deja vu.

18. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Boston will be looking to dump the Wallace contract

19. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Any Rondo deal will probably include Lin or Bev, maybe both.

20. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Exactly.. And the only thing he can't do on offense is shoot, but he still gets his points, when needed. His passing opens the game up, especially when they sag off of him.