1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com] Sam Smith suggests an Asik-for-Rondo trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Contingent, Nov 14, 2013.

1. trock

trock Member

Dwight would get more touches and Harden would have to play off the ball much more, but Rondo could fit.

2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

He also shut down rumors for a Ray Allen trade which was in the works, a Doc Rivers trade which did happen, plus the Pierce Garnett deal which did happen... So yes I would say it's still an option.

3. bws

bws Member

You do realize your "back-up" PG is your starting PG coming off the bench. Right? Your starting C tried to play with your 10 year superstar starting C but the results weren't good.

4. grandad1

grandad1 Member

Now hearing a Shumpert for Asik trade

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Saw that on Twitter too but struggling to find a source

6. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

@MySportsLegion

Report: Knicks offered Iman Shumpert to the Rockets in a trade that would involve Omer Asik going back to New York.

7. Play07

Play07 Member

This account is not a good source

8. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

I know. It's the only thing I could find.

9. seeingred

seeingred Member

whoa. we're knocking Lin for getting hurt ? has rondo even played a game this season ? there's a good chance rondo won't be healthy by the trade deadline and I don't see any way morey trades for this guy without making sure he's recovered.

10. trock

trock Member

That would make little sense on its own. Asik doesn't want to play behind Tyson Chandler and where would we find playing time for a guard that is still developing an offensive game?

11. photojoe

photojoe Member

I didn't say overrated, I just don't think he's a good fit for us. There is a difference.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think we could for sure find a spot for Shumpert. Shoots the three ball well. Rebounds. Plays some defense.

But it clearly isn't a position of need, and any idea that Asik straight for Shumpert would be a fair trade is crazy... unless Asik has really torpedoed his value that much.

Still, where there is smoke there is usually fire. DM is talking to NY about potentially facilitating a trade, that's for sure.

13. trock

trock Member

I like Shumpert and he's been working on his 3, but it's not reliable. He also doesn't finish well at the rim. The other big thing is that he's a 3rd year player who has had issues with his knee every year so far. It's a bit of a red flag.

Asik needs to get us a good pick or a PF in my mind.

14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Asik for a power forward has to be the main point of focus. It's our weakest position and an area where we really could use an extra shooter.

I dont see why we would trade for a guard.

15. jms99

jms99 Member

rondo and howard free throw percentages at the end of important games might be a problem. but still, it would be awesome to have rondo/howard as opposed to harden/howard.

get rid of harden or lin or beverly or parsons or asik. or any combination. Get better players or get team players. we're one trade away from a championship.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

NY is probably trying to find a way to include Amare Stoudamire.

17. jayland

jayland Member

Lin and Asik for Shumpert and Amare?

18. trock

trock Member

You can't be serious.

19. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

If this is the case, Bev might be in the package to make room for shump. Shump is significantly better than Bev on defense and will need his roster spot. Knicks might get stuck with the two worst starting point guards in the league. Sucks cause knicks is my home team. Can't wait to see asik b**** once chandler comes back from injury. Bad trade for Asik.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

We're getting close to the point where that is something you take back if its the right deal - that is you are getting what you want otherwise. Like if you could get LMA or Horford.

Doesn't Amare's contract only go 1 more year? If so, could be an attractive $23.4 million expiring for some team this offseason/next trade deadline...

Of course, it's Les' luxury tax money, considering he may have to pony up for Parsons this summer, too.

Sure, I think to the extent the Rockets are involved in this, it's because the Knicks are interested in Asik, and some 3rd party might be interested in Shumpert ... but again, Shumpert shouldn't be enough to return anything of value to the Rockets in a three team trade.

I suspect much of the talk is the Knicks trying / begging to do something with Shumpert, and DM at least listening... creating rumors of which likely nothing will come.

#300 JayZ750, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013