1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com] Sam Smith suggests an Asik-for-Rondo trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Contingent, Nov 14, 2013.

1. jms99

jms99 Member

What about bringing Carmelo to the team. Is that a no-brainer?

2. bws

bws Member

You're name is chemistry. My main point is not only about Lin but about a bunch of guys playing together, developing together, and I think it is short-sided to think of Rondo. He is not a chemistry guy and my point is to play together for a few years and this team will win. I don't like the quick-fix mentality that some of you guys have. This could be a great team, the main elements are there and one of the guys, Lin is one of them (the others are Harden, Parsons and Dwight). Let them develop and gel. Good guys in the locker room are just as important as player's games. Look at the talent in the Lakers last year. Where did it get them?

3. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Rondo absolutely is a top 5 pg. I could easily make the case he's the 2nd best behind cp3. He's one of like 3 players to avg. a double double from his position over the past 5 yrs and he's done it every yr lol. On top of that he's the best defensive and rebounding pg in the game. Rondo is so good at running an offense, he's the only player in the league that could possibly take the ball out of lebrons hands and make him a finisher instead of a facilitator. I think this is what DM is envisioning with harden and Howard if you throw in rondo. One thing we do know is Harden and Howard are elite finishers. Who Better to get the ball to them then rondo.

I like Lin a lot and have been impressed with his play this season but with that said if you have a chance to get rondo for him and asik you have to make the deal. The rockets would have a legit big 3 and solid role players around them.

Another thing before I end this rant is nobody performs better in the playoffs then rondo and that's when the real season starts. I want him and I hope the rockets can somehow get him but I'm not holding my breath.

4. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

http://vorped.com/bball/index.php/player/shotchart/829-Rajon-Rondo/season/2012-2013-REG

53.2 from the left elbow, 51.5 from the free throw area, and 47.5 from the right elbow. Chris paul is 55, 47, and 52. roughly the same, perhaps a little bit better.

this is better than kobe, lebron, and D wade, deron williams, kyrie irving, stephen curry, russell west brook. His overall shooting percentage is 48 percent. he's a very good mid range shooter. not on steve nash's level, but who is? he's more than decent. he's very good. Please, do me a favor and find guards who are better than paul and rondo from midrange, i don't feel like wasting my time.

A point guard does not have to be a good 3 point shooter. I think he realises it, and doesn't chunk a whole bunch of them. all other positions would have to be good three point shooters.

5. trock

trock Member

Rondo for Asik-Lin would be a steal. It would move Bev back to the bench where he belongs and it would take the ball out of Harden's hands which would be huge. My only concern would be Rondo's ability to be productive this year.

6. torocan

torocan Member

First, a good mid-range jump shot is fine, but it still doesn't make him a great shooter if he can't hit from the 3 point line. Ask 100 people what makes a person a great jump shooter and the vast majority will say mid range AND 3 point shooting.

Second, his good mid-range does NOT make up for the loss of spacing (affecting ability to drive for Harden and crowding Dwight in the post), nor does it make up for the efficiency of shots at the rim.

Rondo's TS% doesn't even crack the top 40 PG's last year.

http://www.hoopdata.com/scoringstats.aspx?team=%&type=pg&posi=PG&yr=2013&gp=20&mins=15

And his EFG% *barely* cracks the top 30 PG's last year.

http://www.hoopdata.com/scoringstats.aspx?team=%&type=pg&posi=PG&yr=2013&gp=20&mins=15

So let's consider the 2 most common scenario's.

1) Harden dribble, drive and pass to open man. Pass to Rondo useful there? Not really. His man just cheats off Rondo when the ball isn't on him and makes Harden's life harder. Then when Rondo gets the ball, he cheats WAY off Rondo knowing that he can't hit from the 3, leaving the defender able to move to help defend or scramble and adjust more easily.

2) Rondo dribble/pass or drive/pass. Rondo's passing as useful on the Rockets? Harden doesn't spot up shoot typically. He's more likely to dribble for a while, then drive or dribble and pull up. A chimpanzee can do that. Dump to the post? Dwight catches off the low blocks, then turns and drives to the rim or dribbles and posts up. Rondo's passing helpful there? Not really... whether it's Parsons or Rondo or Felton tossing it into the post, it's the same impact.

So, unless you're talking about retooling the entire offense I just don't see the fit. And let's not forget Rondo's 64% FT shooting. We're already in a black hole in FT shooting. Now you want Two players that we need to cover for at the line?

Still, Rondo is a very good PG. He's still not top 5 in my books. That's not a bad thing, he just is what he is.

Now, if Rondo found a 3 point shot and fixed his FT shooting, I'd put him solidly in the top 5. Until then, he's going to fall short.

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

All I am reading oh this thread is "derp derp derp, derpity derp derp...

Rondo to Houston FTW! I actually want us to win a playoff series idk about you guys.

8. Play07

Play07 Member

slow down there not a steal with LIN who is averaging 18 points off the bench, and is arguably the 2nd best scorer on the team right now.

that’s why I say if it is bev + asik you do it 100%... but lin + asik im not so sure about that.

I always thought morey wanted to start bev to include in the right package if somethign came along so it would make the other team feel like they are getting the rockets STARTING pg also.

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

But can Lin play like this against elite competition, in a 7 game series when he is forced to run a half court offense and there is constant on ball pressure?

Or will he get hurt right before the playoffs start again?

10. trock

trock Member

Rondo for Asik-Bev would be highway robbery unless picks are involved. Ainge isn't brain dead. Including Lin would also mean we take on probably another longer contract as well which gives more incentive for Boston.

11. trock

trock Member

Let's be real, Bev, nice player, but he doesn't start on any other team in this league. He's not much of a trade chip.

12. Play07

Play07 Member

thats real good question! only time will tell, I like rondo and want him here, people keep talking about the HOFs he played with to get the assist . They never bring up his rebounding. Perimeter defense is a big need for us. Some thought bev was that guy but he is not. Rondo is and will force other players to stay on their man also. Rondo will guard cp3, rose, Westbrook whoever does not matter to him.. Harden talked a good game this summer saying I want to guard the other teams best player !?!!?? When playoffs come around players like rondo get in a zone on offense and defense.

Who will bring us that offense off the bench when harden is not in the game or has to take a night off if lin leaves is my only worry???

13. photojoe

photojoe Member

I couldn't agree with this more. Rondo is a good PG, and in the right situation may even be an elite PG. However, with our current roster I just do not see him being a very good fit. Especially not at 12 mil per season.

14. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

I think its a good trade for both sides.
    Houston makes an exelent upgrade at the PG position and keep LIn as 6th man
    And Boston get a proven still young C and a young PG with potential

maybe Houston can add NY 2014 2nd (can be an exelent pic)
    and Rondo's contract is not too long endeed after the next season, the same than Aldridge and Love contracts

I dont know what team with PG need, can make a better offer for Rondo

My PG list

CP3
    Parker
    Rose
    Irwing
    Lillard
    Rondo

15. Play07

Play07 Member

rondo contract is up in 2015 which means he would be here to help us with playoffs this season and next season. Then him, lin, parsons will all be FAs morey can then handle it from there.

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Who cares what he is getting paid? Our back-up PG and C are getting $40 million over the next two years, but adding an all star for $12 million is
    Bad?

17. photojoe

photojoe Member

I'm sure it is all matter of opinion, but in my opinion he doesn't fit here. The fact that he is getting paid 12 million only makes it worse.

18. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

4 time All-Star
    2 time All-NBA defensive first team
    2 time All-NBA defensive second team
    2 time NBA assist leader
    1 time NBA steals leader
    1 NBA champion

But Rondo is the one that's overrated... Makes sense.

19. trock

trock Member

C'mon, they already have a better version of Bev who also is not a starting PG. Patrick is useless to them. Asik and Bev won't get you Rondo. We'd have to add multiple picks.

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Is this trade still a real possibility or not because ainge is shutting down all the rumors for rondo