1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[nba.com] Rockets' rookie Capela embraces unexpected role

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ipa, Apr 20, 2015.

1. marky :)

marky :) Member

I said before the playoffs started that if McHale gave Capela significant minutes in the playoffs we shouldn't expect to have good results since he's raw but I'm really glad Capela/McHale proved me wrong.

Hope this game gives Capela the confidence and motivation to play better and work on his game moving forward in his career.

2. PeppermintCandy

Wishful thinking but these articles should give some credit to the d league and Jack Sikma for Capela's improvements.

I bet he learned a ton about making defensive rotations, working the pick and roll (with Nick Johnson) and overall playing the right way from all that time in the developmental league with a former NBA big man coach by his side. Even in his d league highlight videos, you can see his improvements this year.

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

He has a very Mutombo-est body type. Very skinny and lanky.

Not a bad thing of course, because Mutombo is a double double machine who could lock down the paint. He also converted free throws at a very respectable rate.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Capela is the Rockets secret weapon. Mavs weren't expecting to have to deal with him. Mavs have no backup Center, having to play Dorsey would have given them a complete pass as they could go small and lose nothing.

5. i3artow i3aller

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Glad we finally got someone to put Dorsey back on the bench.

DD

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

There is truth to this; however, JSmoove's overall bring is much greater than his faux passes er pas. He ain't perfect, but the man has skills and makes his court time interesting, always interesting...

8. onreego

onreego Member

Lol. He's going to have to update his comment routinely to lure them away.

"That's not a very good team over there. Except for Harden. Oh and Clint. Oh and TJ....also Nick....*****..."

[​IMG]

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

How long before Chad changes his grade from a C to a B?

10. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

To ipa, all taken care of. Thank YOU for the article and video.

1 person likes this.
  11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Sneaky snake Fran taking a shot at McHale in the process

12. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I like his approach.However, the missed rebounds frustrated the life out of me while he was in there.

I can't blame him as much as our decision,possibly forced due to injuries, to play a rookie in the playoffs. That's raw talent playing in the most important games of the playoffs. His energy was good. The missed dunk was awful. Hopefully, he learns, but I'm not sold just yet. Tarik was another good big, but was raw as well. We miss DMo so much out there.

Can Pig Miller suit up? ;)

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

check out dirk's shove in josh's back, what a flopping POS scum

14. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

I remember when we drafted Clint, I expected him to be a "Euro-stash" player so Morey would continue star-chasing in the off-season. I was disappointed (at that time) when he was so adamant that he wanted to stay in the US and be a part of this team, because I thought it threw Morey's plans down the drain.

THANK GOODNESS I WAS WRONG ABOUT CLINT!!!!! I like how he has progressed in the D-League and was ready when he was called up to the main roster. I really like that he acknowledged in the video that ipa posted, about knowing his own strengths and weaknesses; THAT (from a 20-year old) is a great sign of maturity because he doesn't want to feel like he's jeopardizing the team by going away from what he knows he does best.

15. ipa

ipa Member

I agree he is good for us, and helps us alot!

BUT, think about how much better we would be if he would play within his strenghts, and not overplay his strenght.

I mean, he's a great passer for a big man, but think about those type of passes, that even some elite pointguards won't try...

Capela, is playing to his strenghts, and it's great.

I remember last game, he got the ball in the post, and imediately passed out, and then ran for a pick and roll...

16. bfunw

bfunw Contributing Member

Something I noticed just now: Dirk pushing Josh in the back in the moment it looked like he might shoot.

17. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

I reall think the sky is the limit for Clint, if he could be even close to Deandre Jordan in 2-3 years I'd be over the moon. At the moment I am just happy to watch him develop.

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

With Howard's health and foul trouble Capela could be playing some vital minutes.

Kudos to McHale for parking Dorsey's butt where it belongs.

19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

First playoff game, first significant NBA minutes coming in the last month, matched up against Tyson Chandler. The kid was a net positive despite some struggle. I think this gives him confidence and I expect we see a big game from him over the next 2-3.

20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Nice catch

I'ts good to renew my hatred for that flopping b****