1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com]Rockets ranked 24th on offseason grades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Aug 10, 2015.

1. i3artow i3aller

Hope the Houston hate follows us all the way to our 3rd championship.
    [​IMG]

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

it's not unusual to be hated by any douche

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Now Imagine Ty going to the Spurs. DA would be like "Give the Spurs the title now!!".

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

I thought this was an old thread [bump]/thread from last year.

5. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

haha! a DOF, eh? And I'm sure most people could find other "D" that might apply as well. :eek:

I'm tired of the national scene. I stopped watching ESPN a while ago. NBA on TNT isn't any better IMO.

6. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Do we still care about what the media thinks of the Rockets :/

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

thx OP and those who quoted the article for helping me decide whether to give Aldridge clicks or not.

I don't even want to read his reasoning for his rankings now.

8. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

There is no real methodology to this list it is all about who Aldridge likes. How can Cleveland be number two by adding Mo Williams and Richard Jefferson and resigning Love (who still has a lengthy timetable to get back on the court)? But our offseason has been a wash? Give me a break.

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

Question to the haters (like Aldridge):

Name a team that has a legitimate championship caliber rotation AND several high level prospects on rookie scale (or rookie scale-like) contracts AND not a single player is overpaid relative to the market.

Houston is the only correct answer. In fact, they might be the only team with 2 of the above qualifications.

Rotation excluding any contributions from rookies or 2nd year players...
    Lawson / Beverley
    Harden / Thornton
    Ariza / Brewer
    DMo / TJones
    Dwight / Hayes

Rookies and 2nd year players
    KJ McDaniels
    Sam Dekker
    Montrezl Harrell
    Clint Capela

Contracts
    Beverley will be paid 25% less than Avery Bradley over the next 3 years and we have a non-guaranteed 4th year. Beverley's contract is on a declining scale, whereas Avery's contract is ascending. Also Bradley's contract was signed before the big cap jump was known, while Beverley's was during the summer of "pay me".

Brewer was signed to a 3 year $24 million deal. Compare that to the 4 year $58 million Carroll got.

The most "overpaid" player on our roster might be Ty Lawson, who does not have guaranteed salary beyond this year and is paid at a similar level as Jrue Holiday, Tyreke Evans, Kemba Walker, Kyle Lowry, Eric Bledsoe, and Ricky Rubio.

It is ridiculous to argue that the Rockets had anything less than a middle of the road offseason. Ty Lawson is either a HUGE addition that cements this team as a top 4-5 contender, or he's a big expiring that the Rockets can flip at the trade deadline.

10. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

That's horrible, we added depth and great talent.

We're extremely deep, we go a healthy 9-deep. I'm looking forward to McHale limiting Trevor's minutes during the regular season, and making Dwight rest on some B2Bs.

Go with:

Dwight 33mpg/Capela-15mpg
    D-Mo-28/TJones 20(depending on matchups)
    Ariza-30/Brewer-18
    Harden-38/Brewer-6/Bev-4
    Ty-34/Bev-14

On games where Dwight sits, it's Capela starting but TJones/DMo taking up the crucial minutes.

11. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

If you want to put us behind San Antonio that's fine but we upgraded a need position for nearly nothing - that should put us in the top 10 easily, I would think.

As if I needed another reason to think Aldridge was an idiot.

12. NotChandlerParsons

That sounds like a good idea to me. Major media outlet doesn't like Rockets, news at 11.

13. malakas

malakas Member

I don't get how MINNY is in the top 10 and Houston isn't. Even if you think with the upcoming suspension and his personal trouble Lawson won't contribute too much ,we traded scraps for him and kept almost every fa.

14. heypartner

The team with the #1 pick in the draft is typically going to rank high on off-season improvement. Everyone considers The Draft in rankings like this. This isn't a ranking of just FA moves and trades or how clever your GM is.

But us being 24th is not worth discussing with Aldridge.

15. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

People even thought the Rockets had a very solid draft. Our summer league players were great despite playing with any actual NBA players or Sam Dekker (our first rouneer)

16. malakas

malakas Member

yeah and Philly since they got Okafor who for some was the second best prospect in the draft is worst 10? But Minny who gave KG a ludicrous contract is top 10?
    I don't even think that picking the consecus number 1 with the first pick in the draft gets someone a top 10 offseason but whatever.

17. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

Read this piece earlier this morning, I was surprised l but in the end it doesn't really mean anything at all lol...I don't have a problem with Aldridge he was one of the few media members who voted Harden for MVP and replied him on the national stage without flip flopping

18. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

*Repped not replied ^^^

19. OpenLayup-Why3?

TJones is a stretch 4? He doesn't shoot 3s

20. heypartner

Improvement via the draft is always considered in lists like this. Certainly when you have the #1 pick. I'm just saying that Minny being 10th is not that great of an example of disagreeing with Aldridge here.

Sure, they aren't the same quality every year, so it's not automatic. But Aldridge explained that, that if you picked someone he liked, you'd likely be ranked higher, "but that doesn't mean I'm right."