1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[nba.com] Rockets Midseason Report Card - Grade B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ipa, Jan 31, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ipa

ipa Member

Nice grading... Seems fair... We need Omer back, so he can rebound, if he ever wants to get a good contract after this year...

Also, interesting enough but not surprising, our frontcourt is better graded than our backcourt...

Couldn't embed the page. You'll have to click on the link, or someone could embed it...

http://www.nba.com/reportcard/midseason/2014/rockets/index.html?ls=nbahpsplit2

1 person likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

This seems fair. The advanced stats show the Rockets have 2 more wins than they should. While the Rockets have looked very good against some of the better teams in the league, they have lost close games to teams like the Lakers, Sixers, Suns, Kings and Mavericks that an elite team takes care of.

I am not surprised the front court is better than the backcourt. The point guard position has been mediocre to bad, and Harden has been hobbled and his defense was bad for the first 30 games of the year. Parsons continues to improve offensively, but his rotations are bad and he is a below average defender right now. Really, overall the perimeter defense has been bad. Also, what is not discussed is that we cannot hit 3's outside of Parsons and Brooks.

In the post Howard has been exactly what was expected, and Jones has been a pleasant surprise. The ability to block shots by both Jones and Howard have kept the defense from being an overall disaster.

Asik is a key piece for the Rockets, and they need to get a bench that can shoot from the outside and defend.

McHale has not been perfect, I don't agree with his calls at times. However, his team respects him and he keeps everyone on the same page.

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I love how they have Golden State as a superior team and us as just Above Average, we would crush them in a 7 game series.

4. Nook

Nook Member

If you watch GS, they run their sets more efficiently and they switch on defense more smoothly. That is to say they are further a long in reaching their potential than the Rockets.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, that's r****ded. The Warriors are clearly the inferior team--they can't even stay ahead of Phoenix at the moment. I would not be surprised if they finish in 7th seed and lose in the first round.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

with that said, Rockets would crush them in a 7 game series.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Crush? I don't know about that... but the Rockets should be favored in 6-7 games.

The Rockets also have more upside. Once the players spend more time together, and they are on the same page, they will be even better..... GS will still be GS.... they remind me of the Grizzlies the last 4-5 years concerning upside.

8. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

I want to say I misheard but Charles Barkley did say on last night's TNT Overtime that the Warriors were the 2nd best team in the West, so it must be true.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Riiight Chuck....

The Warriors are counting on Bogut staying healthy....

10. AstroMechPLZ

AstroMechPLZ Member

Think he was talking about the clippers with everyone healthy.

11. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

I saw the B+ on Chicago and immediately left the page. Tho this has already been reported.

12. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Even LOF's know more than chuck, and that's saying something ;)

13. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Warriors do have the makeup of an elite team. They have a great offense, and their defense has been great.

14. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

I wouldn't say great offense.. They're ranked very average

15. Terry Teagle

Terry Teagle Member

NBA.com grades below, my comments in brackets.

Dwight Howard is healthy, happy and productive in the middle, Chandler Parsons on the verge of stardom, Terrence Jones surprisingly steady and only Omer Asik unhappy. A [I think the frontcourt grade should be a B+. Howard is productive but has looked lost on the offensive end and is not the defensive beast he was in Orlando. Parsons has been fantastic although he seems to have slipped defensively. Jones is a pleasant surprise but somehow with Howard, the Rockets still allow too many offensive rebounds.]

An improved Jeremy Lin filled in capably until the injured Patrick Beverley returned, and James Harden is still the best two guard in the league. B+ [I'd give the backcourt a B. Injuries have hampered Harden, Lin, and Beverley and their perimeter defense is still putrid.]

Howard protects the rim and blocks shots, but the Rockets collectively and inexcusably do a horrible job of giving up offensive rebounds to opponents, ranking 29th. C- [Defense C- is about right]

While Asik has been in a full-court pout and Francisco Garcia has lost shooting touch, Aaron Brooks has been a lifesaver and Omri Casspi solid. B- [B- is right although it's trending up with Dmo coming alive and the rotation seeming to have settled]

Kevin McHale's attempt to play Howard and Asik together as a "Twin Towers" tandem failed, and injuries have kept him scrambling to cut and paste from the start. B [I'd give coaching a C-, we've lost too many close games to too many terrible teams in horrific fashion]

[Overall Grade C+]

16. yummyhawtsauce

coaching is definitely not a B, I would give it C (or whatever below average is). rest seem pretty good, especially on defense. couldn't agree more about the grading. just terrible.

17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

the nbatv crew just isn't sold on this team.

they made sure to mention it two nights in a row before during, and after consecutive wins against our in-state division rivalries.

and Rick Fox got to tell what he thinks is wrong with us :rolleyes:

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

PHX: B
    GSW: A-
    HOU: B

Our grade is fair but, do people realize that PHX has now surpassed GSW in standings? Come to think of it, PHX may keep getting better once they get Bledsoe back and trade Okafor's corpse.

Oh, and I love this logic:

HOU Defense: C-
    29th opp OReb, though Dwight blocks shots and gets boards
    GSW Defense: A-
    top 5 opp FG%, top 5 overall DRTG, DReb issues hold them back

You justify their mediocre opp DReb with their top 5 DRTG and opp FG%, but make no mention of OUR top 5 opp FG%, top 5 opp DREB and #11 DRTG?

#18 shastarocket, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  19. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Everybody needs to realize that the public and the media thinks Curry is a god and Golden State are the darling golden children this year. They can do no wrong..

I want them in a series so badly we will murder them

20. sun12

sun12 Member

Asik has a contract after this year which will pay him another 8mil.

He would be stupid to play as a backup and average 6pt, 6 reb to reduce his market value and get paid again at 8mil/year after this contract.

Currently, his value is 10-10 as a starter, he will get paid 12mil-14mil after this contract barring injury.

Do the math, at time of the day, Asik won't play.