1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[nba.com] NBA to change All-Star ballot, eliminating center

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Glenyo, Oct 23, 2012.

1. dharocks

dharocks Member

lolwut

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

there are fewer centers in part b/c of stern's changes to the game rules over the years, which were directly aimed at reducing the importance and effectiveness of the center position in the name of league parity (sic).....namely changing the illegal defense rules so that multiple defenders can guard an interior player without the ball.....now years later the focker corroborates his own deeds with official decree that his shifty designs have indeed been suckcessfool

3. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

how i wish that Yao played in the illegal defense era....though the illegal defense rule allowed nba players with marginal skill to stay at the floor longer and be guarded, heck we have point guards back in the 90s who cant shoot..

4. Zboy

Zboy Member

There is no way I would pick Dwight over the following:

Hakeem
    Shaq
    Ewing
    Robinson
    Mourning

And I would not call Dwight a clear cut winner over Brad either. Dwight's defense is much better than Brad Daughtery's was (although his defensive numbers did take a hit due to Larry Nance being on the same team), however Brad's offense before injury was incredibly efficient. He was shooting 57% from the field while averaging more than 20ppg using HIS OWN post moves while making 80% of his FTs. You could rely on Brad to carry an offense for your team. The time that Magic made it to the finals, Hedo was carrying the offense for the Magic, not Dwight.

BTW, I forgot to include Mutombo on that initial list.

#24 Zboy, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  5. Zboy

Zboy Member

Are you sure you are not thinking Detlef Schrempf?

Smits had post moves and a big body which he threw around in the paint. Pacers entire offense was built on getting open shots for Miller and dumping the ball down low to Rik Smits. The rest of the team (Davis brothers, PG rotation) couldn't score.

6. J-Red

J-Red Member

My analysis was a generalization of what he's most known for. A 7'4" Center who had the range of a swing player. So, no, I was not referring to "Dead-lift Shrimp". I know Smits had an inside game, but most people don't remember that about him if they remember at all.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

why you forgetting Kareem

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I would take Dwight over Mourning but would have to think about taking him over a prime Deke. Deke was a defensive monster unless he was going against Shaq.

9. J-Red

J-Red Member

I think most of us are referring to the 90's Centers mainly and he was not a part of that group. If we are naming all-time Centers then D12 isn't even in the top 10 yet, and won't be until he develops an offensive game farther out than right at the rim.

The all-time list would include (Top 10)

Bill Russell
    Moses Malone
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    David Robinson
    Shaquille O'Neal
    George Mikan
    Willis Reed
    Patrick Ewing

Not in that particular order, but note that 4 of the all-time 10 are from the 90's )3 of which drafted in the 80's with long careers)

10. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

i don't know about Robinson. But top 5, yes. Unless you include prime Sabonis who was in Europe at the time.

Dwight is kind of underrated. Just because this era lacks great rival centers, doesn't mean that Dwight sucks. For all his flaws, he's possibly the best 6'9-10 athlete center since Russell, and defensively he's amazing.

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Btw, as a Pacers fan, I love that the earlier lists mention Rick Smits but exclude
    [​IMG]
    Way to go, fellow Pacers fans!

12. J-Red

J-Red Member

how does him being called the best Center in today's game warrant him as being underrated? If he gets some range in his offensive game then he'll be one of the greatest. He already does everything else at an elite level, But adding range would give him more scoring options, make him more dangerous, and help with his horrible free-throw shooting.

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

i don't understand your question. you are in a thread where Dwight has been called worse than Brad Daugherty, basically.

14. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Unreal. WoW. Evolve my hairy bum.

15. J-Red

J-Red Member

Reread what I said then. "Today's game" not back in the 90's. Daugherty was playing for the Cavs in the 90's. Every magazine and TV analyst is up D12's ass because he is the best current center, but that doesn't mean that he shouldn't try to continue to improve his game by developing a shot outside of right over the basket.

16. J-Red

J-Red Member

one person says that he questions Dwight over Brad and you say he's underrated. yeah, um... ok

17. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

tbh, i think you just came into the discussion, read the last post, didn't understand the context and now are arguing just to argue.

We were discussing Dwight vs. centers of the past. Not Dwight's status in today's game. Different subject.

18. Matt_Maloney

Matt_Maloney Rookie

only when you dont have any all-stars at your own all-star game :grin:

19. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

No doubt!

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

This is what I came to say. Eliminating the distinction for center is a step in the right direction to follow the evolution of the game. Centers and power forwards can slide over easily enough. The interchange between power forward and small forward is harder, while small forwards and shooting guards are pretty interchangeable. And point guard is still a unique skill set. Having starting guards of Dwayne Wade and Joe Johnson, for example, would leave you without a distributor.