1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.COM] NBA hires Mutombo, who will serve as global ambassador

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lonestar, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Lonestar

Lonestar Member

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/11/17/mutombo.nba/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

NBA hires Mutombo, who will serve as global ambassador

By Official Release
    Posted Nov 17 2009 2:10PM

NBA Commissioner David Stern announced today that Dikembe Mutombo will join the NBA in the newly created position of global ambassador. Mutombo will report to Executive Vice President, Social Responsibility & Player Programs, Kathy Behrens.

After retiring from a playing career that spanned 18 seasons, Mutombo will now work to grow and celebrate the game through numerous international NBA events including Basketball without Borders. In addition, he will work closely on NBA Cares outreach efforts with Hall of Famer Bob Lanier who serves as Special Assistant to the Commissioner.

"Dikembe's extraordinary accomplishments on the court and in the community demonstrate why he is one of sports' outstanding humanitarians," Stern said. "His commitment to using the values of our game to improve the lives of so many is an example of the special role we have in being leaders in social responsibility. We know the impact programs such as NBA Cares and Basketball without Borders have in being catalysts for change on a global scale, and Dikembe's continued contributions will be invaluable in our global efforts to bring attention to important social issues."

Mutombo started the Dikembe Mutombo Foundation to improve living conditions in his native Democratic Republic of Congo in 1997. His commitment to improving the health, education and quality of life for the people in his birthplace, the Democratic Republic of the Congo led to the construction and opening of the Biamba Marie Mutombo Hospital and Research Center, a $29 million, 300-bed hospital in Kinshasa named after his late mother.

His efforts as a global ambassador for UNICEF, spokesman for international relief agency CARE to further HIV/AIDS awareness, and prevention and his work with the Polio Eradication Campaign to protect African youth from childhood diseases that have virtually disappeared in developed countries yet still threaten children in the Congo everyday have earned him numerous accolades. Mutombo has been the recipient of the President's Citizenship Award, J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award, the National Civil Rights Museum Sports Legacy Award, and induction into the World Sports Humanitarian Hall of Fame.

"I am looking forward to working closely with Dikembe as he enters this next phase of his brilliant career. I have seen first hand the impact and inspiration he provides," said Lanier. "His passion for improving the lives of people in Africa and elsewhere is a great example of how NBA players understand their obligations to the global community."

Regarded as one of the top post defenders of all time, Mutombo will also play an important role in the mentoring of current players. His on-the-court honors include four NBA Defensive Player of the Year awards through a career that also saw him named to eight All-Star Game appearances, and a place on three All-NBA teams and six All-Defensive teams.

Mutombo holds degrees in linguistics and diplomacy from Georgetown University. He and his wife Rose have six children.

2. Francis 4 ever

Rockets should have signed him first. He energizes the crowd/team more than clutch does

3. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

what a great thing for deke! that is awesome!

4. tested911

tested911 Member

Will they have a translator for Mutombo as well? I kid I kid but if you read my sig you would understand lol.

5. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

Rock & Roll Mutombo!

6. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

Outstanding! Can't think of a better person for the job!

7. ibm

ibm Member

was wondering what he was gonna do after retired as a player when i saw him in tc the other night... a great position for deke to be.

8. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

Forget MJ, I say we retire his number throughout the league. :grin:

9. ibm

ibm Member

now that's a lot better idea. (anyone else wears #55?)

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

YAY Mutombo!

11. Lonestar

Lonestar Member

Yao would serve as another global ambassador 2 when he retired :grin: :grin:

12. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Congrats Deke. I really love that the athletes in our organization (historically) are much more likely to make headlines with something of this nature, than say getting arrested for spitting on a stripper.

13. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I'm figuring that this has been a while in development considering Deke's relationship with the NBA. I do wish he had been kept on as a sort of coach.

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

That was one of my favorite lines from Rick...

15. hello2

hello2 Member

Congratulations Deke!!

16. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

Just a matter of time before he is commissioner

17. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Battier disagrees. They will run the nba together and the Rockets should win 10 championships during their reign.

18. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

The rockets should also sign Deke as a coach to teach people like landry to play post defense

19. No No Mutombo

No No Mutombo Member

Mutombo says THANK YOU LITTLE ONES!!