1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com]Beyond Linsanity

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WaitForIt, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Grace33

Grace33 Member

I'm a Lin fan and I am ok with any decision the rockets made for what they think is good for the team although I might not 100% agree with them.
    I only want Lin to play happliy on the court and I believe he is a team first player and will try everything he could to help the team win no matter what the role is.
    It didn't seemed that Jlin had already know this preseason experiment plan before the Asia tour. If the rockets was going to do that, why not announce that before the preseason start or after the first preseason game?
    Don't make Jlin do all the promotion things, let him do the speech in the reception party and then make him come off the beach next game. It is just disrespectful to me. It just like a slap on someone's face and I don't think anyone will happy about it.
    Just Jlin is too kind to say anything to hurt the team...

1 person likes this.
  2. Caris

Caris Member

LOVE the essay.
    I do suspect it is part of perspective management by the Rockets.

3. Caris

Caris Member

I agree with your sentiment.
    Basic common courtesy should have been given to thousands of Asian fans and Jeremy as well.

4. Matt78777

Matt78777 Member

Always enjoy reading Friedman. We are really lucky as a fan base to have him. He manages to blend human interest, stats, and basketball knowledge perfectly.

5. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/nasalgun">@nasalgun</a> That's a fair question. For me at least, the relationships one naturally develops are a far bigger challenge in that regard than</p>&mdash; Jason Friedman (@JasonCFriedman) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonCFriedman/statuses/388697871437938689">October 11, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Sorry, missed the second part in the previous post:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/nasalgun">@nasalgun</a> any gift ever would be.</p>&mdash; Jason Friedman (@JasonCFriedman) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonCFriedman/statuses/388697915784298497">October 11, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. JBar

JBar Rookie

Thanks for posting that CasaDolce. I'm interested that others had the same reaction.

P.S. I've always admired your realm of Lin fandom. Passionate but friendly and reasonable!

8. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Thanks for the kind words! It takes a lot of self-restraint lol...

Jeremy breaks stereotypes. I hope his fans do too. I'm trying to follow my role model :).

9. kcd

kcd Member

Sorry no, I though your reaction was pretty cynical and never cross my mind until you mentioned it. I just don't believe Lin would do that and I don't think Jason seems like a person to be influenced in that way either.

10. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Considering lin fans believe he is an allstar and should be the main guy here, they are just as deluded. Atleast Kobe is an alltime great

11. JBar

JBar Rookie

Sorry, KCD, it may never have crossed your mind, but it would cross the mind of journalism ethicists. From the website of the Society of Professional Journalists:

"Act Independently
    Journalists should be free of obligation to any interest other than the public's right to know.

Journalists should:

—Avoid conflicts of interest, real or perceived.
    — Remain free of associations and activities that may compromise integrity or damage credibility.
    — Refuse gifts, favors, fees, free travel and special treatment, and shun secondary employment, political involvement, public office and service in community organizations if they compromise journalistic integrity.
    — Disclose unavoidable conflicts.
    — Be vigilant and courageous about holding those with power accountable.
    — Deny favored treatment to advertisers and special interests and resist their pressure to influence news coverage.
    — Be wary of sources offering information for favors or money; avoid bidding for news. "

http://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp

Note: I went out of my way in my earlier post to make it clear that I didn't think that there was any ill intent in this case.

12. JBar

JBar Rookie

Of course the point is that Friedman isn't purely a journalist, and I mentioned that too.

13. Reach

Reach Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY9HjNWbJvA

Not quite yet, my friend.

14. Reach

Reach Member

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

so he can take gifts?

16. JBar

JBar Rookie

Honestly, I don't think he should since he seems to refer to himself as a journalist. He is paid by the team, but that falls under that category of "disclose unavoidable conflicts." He's up front about that. But I don't think he should accept gifts from players. But it's not as bad as it would be if he were a writer from an newspaper taking a gift from a player. After all, everyone knows the team is writing his checks.

17. Grace33

Grace33 Member

Thank u for your words. "Basic common courtesy"
    It's like when u are going to mess up with someone, at least let him prepare...
    Especially those who actually at your same side!

It's not about WHAt they do but HOW they do. Maybe it is just the culture difference??

18. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Lol jeremy lin the matyr

19. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Agreed.

20. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

No, it's not the culture difference. Things got screwed up on the "how" department, intentionally or unintentionally. I think you hit the issue of "disrespect" on Lin and his Asia fans right on the head.