1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com]Beyond Linsanity

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WaitForIt, Oct 11, 2013.

1. WaitForIt

WaitForIt Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/beyond-linsanity

2. WaitForIt

WaitForIt Member

Nicely done Friedman.

3. matthewsq

matthewsq Member

but what about Beverly? Lol

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Great article from one of the best in the Biz, and so spot on to call out to the passion from his fanbase and how it is understood why Lin coming off the bench in a preseason game can cause so much uproar. He's a very easy person to root for on and off the court.

However, you take the bad with the good with Lin because he is who he is, and that's not a bad thing even if there are is a segment of his fans that will forever go to great links for this guy in ridiculous fashion.

The fact is, Jeremy Lin, the person and player deserves to be judged separate from his somewhat crazed fan-base. He seems like a great guy, and is a player I genuinely root for as much as any other player in the game.

OP- please do not post entire Rockets.com articles in the thread. They track how popular and the amount of reads per article so we need to support Jason's work here by giving him page clicks.

#4 dobro1229, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yep. I love Lin as a person, respect his game and believe he can be very very good, and hate his fans. I thought Yao's fans were bad, Lin's are are worse than Kobe fans.

6. JBar

JBar Rookie

Like Friedman I think Lin is really good kid and a great ambassador for the game (and also a good player).

I can understand his trepidation for sharing this story, however. I think that Lin was giving him those shoes out of kindness, but one could put darker motivations on it and call it a bribe: you know, I give you the shoes you want and you give me better coverage.

Now their relationship is different from the standard player-reporter relationship because Friedman works for the team. But if I was advising NBA players, I would tell them not give presents to regular members of the media because of the potential of people perceiving it the wrong way.

But let me make two things clear:

1) I think Lin had good intentions only.

2) I think Friedman does an exceptional job as someone who is a blend of reporter and PR person. He manages to play that role but still write intelligently. Not an easy feat at all!

7. torocan

torocan Member

Now that's an exaggeration.

I know plenty of Kobe fans. They really don't get worse than that except for maybe some of the Heat fans.

Kobe will play like crap and Kobe fans will still say he had a great game. It truly is a sickness... :grin:

8. kakaman

kakaman Member

Kobe fans think it's "arguable" that Kobe is better than MJ. LOF know Harden and Dwight are the stars on the Rockets. Let's not get it twisted.

9. steady

steady Member

Yep, I totally love Jason Friedman's articles too, and am impressed by how he treads the line between insider and observer so well. He's practically the only person whose articles about the Rockets I enjoy reading anymore.

10. WaitForIt

WaitForIt Member

Shhh. But yea my bad. Thought I only got part of it, but hoped those periods at the end would throw people off into thinking there's more. Thanks a lot! :mad:

Picture in the actual article though. Click on the link people! ;)

11. jbasket

jbasket Member

Beyond the scope of basketball, I think the majority will agree with my statement that he is a genuine person, a very "down-to-earth" individual, and a role model who stays true to his words and actions.

12. rockbox

Kobe fans don't jump on a website I've been visiting since 1996 to tell me how great he is.

13. Fighton

Fighton Member

wow great read. thanks.

14. Simone78

Simone78 Member

They would if Kobe joined the Rockets:p

15. Caris

Caris Member

Jeremy is starting grade school in 1996. :grin:

16. WNBA

WNBA Member

You should have a more positive view of the life around you and stop using 'hate' casually.

17. ada32

ada32 Member

[​IMG]

18. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Great article...good read!

19. rockbox

I don't use hate casually. My dislike of LOFs approaches Karl Malone level, so hate would be an appropriate description.

20. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Wow, I don't know what inspired Jason Friedman to write this, but toward the end, well, let's just said, where did all this dust come from. I hope Friedman never becomes jaded and burnt-out like Jason Quick.