1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jun 16, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

#61 J.R., Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    JumpMan likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

#62 J.R., Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I never understood the deal with franchises wanting Jason Kidd as a coach. He hasn't looked very good in his first couple of stints. I wonder if he learned something now.

TimDuncanDonaut and malakas like this.
  4. H.D.

H.D. Member

He's white- he will get lots of chances.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rick Carlisle May Have Viewed Jamahl Mosley's Luka Doncic Relationship As 'Threat To Him'

Rick Carlisle endorsed Jason Kidd for the head coaching job of the Dallas Mavericks upon his hiring with the Indiana Pacers, which indirectly was an omission for his assistant coach Jamahl Mosley.

"Let me be delicate in my wording here," said Tim MacMahon on The Hoop Collective Podcast. "I think Rick understood the perception of how that might impact who he didn't endorse."

"Right, that's what I was getting at," replied Tim Bontemps.

"Screw it, I'm going to stop being delicate. I think it got to a point where Rick perceived Jamahl Mosley's close relationship with Luka Doncic as a threat to him. I don't think those guys will necessarily send each other Christmas cards. And look, who's right? Who's wrong? Whatever. I do know this: players I've talked to... Luka's not the only guy on that team who is extremely close to Jamahl Mosley. [He's] developed great relationships with players throughout his career."

Jacque Vaughn 'Gaining Traction' As Candidate For Pelicans

The candidacy of Jacque Vaughn as head coach of the New Orleans Pelicans is "gaining traction", according to ESPN's Brian Windhorst.

Vaughn was previously head coach of the Orlando Magic and has been an assistant coach with the Brooklyn Nets since 2016.

"I'm not saying he's going to get his job because Charles Lee on the Bucks' staff is also going to be a strong candidate. The word coming out of Chicago at the draft combine is that Jacque Vaughn, who is close to Trajan Langdon... Jacque Vaughn is going to get a real serious look and has interviewed I believe with the Pelicans."

Sam Cassell, Wes Unseld Jr. Emerge As 'Leading Candidates' For Wizards' Head Coaching Job

The Washington Wizards have a pair of longtime assistant coaches who have never had the head coaching job at the top of their head coaching search.

"Watch Sam Cassell and Wes Unseld as two of the leading candidates in Washington," said Brian Windhorst.

Cassell was previously an assistant coach for the Wizards from 2009 until 2014 before joining the coaching staff of Doc Rivers with the Los Angeles Clippers and then Philadelphia 76ers.

Unseld also began his coaching career with the Wizards and also has had stints with the Golden State Warriors, Orlando Magic and now the Denver Nuggets. Unseld is the son of the late Washington Bullets' legend Wes Unseld.

#66 J.R., Jun 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  7. malakas

malakas Member

You should have made a new thread about this so I could go puke all over it.
    Poor Luka. Poor Mavs fans. I am sorry for you.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. KelvinCato13

KelvinCato13 Member

Billups to POR done deal per Shams!

10. KelvinCato13

KelvinCato13 Member

11. JW86

JW86 Member

Meh unproven guys getting all these chances while Cassell like our own head coach pay their dues and have to wait ages before getting a shot. It's really odd.

KelvinCato13 and BigShasta like this.
  12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Cassell will probably (and should) get the Washington gig. It's always weird, as we know Kerr and Nash hadn't exactly proven anything before getting their jobs but I think a big name former player and one that is working as an assistant coach will probably get a quicker chance at a HC job than a former role player(unless that big name is Patrick Ewing but that's another story).

But I like your post because it brings me to this Becky Hammon ridiculousness I'm seeing online/social media. Ridiculousness not in her getting interviews and being mentioned for HC jobs because she deserves to be up for interviews and in line for HC jobs. I call the part in which some people get upset that she wasn't given this HC job or that HC job ridiculous. They assume because she's been an assistant coach..and for Pop, for a few years now and that she's a former WNBA player that she should be given a job or it's just a token interview. As if there aren't tons of Pop assistants that TOILED for years on the bench in San Antonio and went on MANY interviews for years before getting their first HC jobs. Ime Udoka is the most recent one that comes to mind but we can go down the list of the Pop coaching tree and see it takes a little while for them to get a job. That's the same for the majority of assistant coaches in the league regardless of coaching tree/bench their own. Sam Cassell as you mentioned has been toiling under Doc for years and going on interviews every summer only to be passed up for HC jobs. These things take time but some folks are so eager to see a woman get a HC job in the NBA(which will happen at some point and I'm sure it will be Hammon and it will be deserved) that they think anything otherwise is an affront to her, to women, etc. Ridiculousness.

Anyway, can't wait to see how Billups does with the Blazers( I don't have high expectations).

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

is there a GM carousel thread?

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

Speaking of GMs, some fans are thinking few of the players (*cough* Dame) who go to the olympics may play 'gm' in recruiting.

Maybe a Lavine or a Beal.

#74 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Lol Kidd

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1450422

16. TimDuncanDonaut

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

he's the reason the Clippers keep making comebacks.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...ement-5-year-deal-hire-chauncey-billups-coach

Blazers' president of basketball operations Neil Olshey and Billups's agent, Andy Miller of Klutch Sports, finalized the contract terms on Sunday, sources said. The Blazers offered Billups the job on Friday night, and the sides had been progressing on a deal to replace former coach Terry Stotts over the weekend.

After Blazers chair Jody Allen and Olshey met with Billups in Seattle on Wednesday, they were convinced that he was the right candidate, sources said.

Before making a formal offer on Friday night, the Blazers continued investigating an alleged 1997 sexual assault incident involving Billups, sources said. No criminal charges were ever brought, but there was a settlement in a civil case.

Although Billups had been vetted several times for high-level NBA leadership jobs, including an offer to become president of basketball operations for the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2017 and in his current role with the Clippers, the Blazers used much of the search process to revisit the allegations from Billups' rookie season in the NBA, sources said.

Billups encouraged the examination, sources said, and his answers in several conversations with Blazers officials aligned with findings from an independent investigation, sources said. The Blazers ultimately found nothing that they believed disqualified Billups from becoming the franchise's new head coach.

Olshey has long considered Billups one of the best leaders he had ever encountered in the NBA, and that relationship -- along with Lillard's public endorsement -- played a part in Billups choosing the Portland job over other opportunities, sources said.

#79 J.R., Jun 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member