1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA coaches of next year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HtownRocks3, May 27, 2003.

1. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

My friend who has almost gotten a job w/ the Chronicle as a reporter for sports, he told me the following:

Jeff Van Gundy: Will go to coach Cleveland.
    Mike Fratello: Will go to New Orleans to coach the Hornets.
    Paul Silas: Will wait to be head coach of the new Charlotte expansion team.

He doesn't have any information on the Raptor's new coach but he said the 3 top prospects for the Rockets

He said the top 3 candidates for the Rockets coach is:

1. Larry Brown
    2. Mike Dunleavy
    3. Kenny Smith (yes, Kenny)

I just wanted to pass along the little information Ive heard.

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

So these are his opinions or this is definitely going to happen?

3. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

Interesting. I wouldn't mind Kenny as an assistant but I hope he doesn't get the head coaching spot.

4. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

Well I wouldn't go as far as to bet my life on it, but he talks to other friends he has with the Chronicle and somehow they came up with this information. I would just say that these are his opinions but I wouldn't be surprised if they happened.

5. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Of course they're opinions. These guys and these teams don't know what's going to happen yet. And if they don't know it doesn't much matter how close your guy is to reporters. Some team/coach combos might know something, but no one actually involved can forecast three or four of these right now -- it's a domino thing. Everything's happening fast now because every one of these situations depends on another.

p.s. No WAY that's right about Kenny Smith. No. Way. With the guys available right now there is no way Les is thinking for a second about handing over the team to a rookie coach. Your friend's friends' guesses might be sound elsewhere but that one's ludicrous.

6. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Kevin O'neill is going to be the Raptors new coach. He's an assistant on the Pistons right now and there have been some reports that it is a done deal.

Of the three listed for the Rockets opening, I'd go to bed saying prayers that the top guy gets it because the other two...scary.