1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA 2k14 vs Live

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Jan 2, 2014.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm not anti-2k at all..maybe you are thinking of RC Cola?

I love 2k, I have bought every NBA 2k game since release.

But I have a MAJOR issue with VC. A MAJOR MAJOR issue with it.

Microtransactions in games aren't bad...but this is the worst possible example of it...because...

You need it for everything. Want to change your roster rotation around...VC...and the whole 'Server crashes but you can't play your franchise or career mode.' thing is unacceptable.

It was down for the entire weekend.

That means a weekend I couldn't play NBA 2k14 because of this VC mess.

I personally wouldn't buy a next-gen system for NBA 2k14. Can't speak to ghosts though as I've never played it.

2. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I have absolutely no problem with how they use the VC system. The "change your rotation" argument is crap because it costs 500 VC (which they give much more than that for free when you start your MyGM), and once you get it the first time... you never have to buy it again. It transfers over to every new MyGM that you start. So you're required to spend 500 VC one time.

And with the 2k14 App on your phone, you can get free VC every day (You choose a random envelope and it includes a certain amount of VC you get... I've only opened one envelope with less than 1000 VC once). You get over 1000 VC every game you play. And they give away free VC with Locker Codes almost every week.

I started a MyGM with the Nets last Tuesday (the day before Christmas). When I started, I had about 8000 VC.

I've played 7 games, have opened a random envelope every day on the app. I've used all of their free Locker Codes they've given out, and I now have over 40,000 VC in my account and I haven't spent a dime.

It's really easy to get VC.

This is the biggest problem I have with NBA 2k14 on the PS4. Yesterday our router died and I couldn't get a new one until today. Playing 2k14 would have been completely pointless because I couldn't continue my career or MyGM.

3. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Ps4 is great. No ads online or on the home screen. TONS

4. Awesome

Awesome Member

IMO
    Its not even close

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/q0m4-VbVGDY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FOP4U09hLsw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Live 14 is a foundation EA needed to get out and build upon. They have stated they will improve the game with patches. Live 15 will be a better game. I expect Live 16 will push NBA 2k series which has always had online problems. EA has always been much stable with their online than 2K.

6. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I wouldn't even classify myself anti-2K. I think I share the same opinions you and many others have (though I might be very vocal about it). I love the core gameplay in 2K. Graphics are really nice too on PS4/XBO. I think I've bought most of their recent versions (since 2K9 I think?). Some great ideas being implemented. But as you pointed out, it is just really buggy and/or poorly done. Plus the servers, VC, etc., stuff. A lot of that stuff seems pretty easy (IMO) to fix/get right, so I'm not a fan of how Visual Concepts have handled the game (and series).

I won't even give Live and EA Sports much thought. 2K is so far ahead in quality IMO. But I think in comparison to other games, 2K could/should be much better.

I wouldn't recommend either game at this point. If 2K fixes some things eventually, you can go with that (and MAYBE it would be worth buying a new console for, but not in its current state IMO). Visual Concepts has left things unfixed for years though, so that might be easier said that done.

7. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

I wish 2K had a mode online where you can connect with users and basically play a 2v2 matchup with control of the entire team.

8. Awesome

Awesome Member

Theyre lucky to be making a 15 since this game has sold like crap

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yes, but they understood it would be a challenge this year. 2k fans are itching for an alternative....just like a lot of Madden fans are.

10. Awesome

Awesome Member

It wouldnt have been a challenge if they didn't continue to lie then release another sub par product, basically right where they left off and what got them in this predicament in the first place.

Fanboy crap aside, people buy games because they're good, not just because its not some other game. Make a good game and people will buy it,not coming out with gimmicks like dribbling in a gym thats not even in the game.

11. YourSecretLover

Buy 2k14 if you want a basketball game. I passed on both and will be waiting for next years basketball games. Both feel like unfinished products especially Live. Can't believe they actually released that game, what an embarrassment.