1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

National Signing Day Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Bama finishing strong. Per usual.

2. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Saban rained on Les Miles parade again

4. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Bu bu but WRTS!!!

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What are L's? Texags.com is digitized aids. TAMU put together most of its class during the year. It's a fine class that addressed positions of need quite well. TAMU & UT need to do something before the fans start yapping at each other again.

They both look like legitimate basketball schools going forward though. At least there's that. Lulz.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Auburn finished strong. I am pleased.

I also cannot wait for Nick Saban to retire...my God...

7. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

He will retire after couple more 'chips so he can be the GOAT.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He already is the GOAT, but yeah...he'll win a couple more before he hangs it up

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Off topic question for you. Did you and fellow Auburn fans think Cam would be that great when he signed with Auburn? Just was curious how you guys felt that year on signing day

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'd imagine so, he was the #1 overall QB HS or juco, haha

11. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Texas had one of the greatest National Signing Days ever when you consider we were 5-7 last season. Strong is giving a lesson in the ABCs of sales: Always Be Closing.

12. Hustle Town

A&M was in a position of power/prestige the past few seasons given the vacuum caused by all of the turmoil at Texas. Sumlin and Co effectively squandered their best shot in over a decade at actually running the state. Aggie fans will claim that they at least have the SEC to fall back on, but they should admit that getting 8th in the SEC in recruiting is an embarrassment.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

having 2 of your quarterbacks transfer is pretty embarrassing

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He was the #1 JUCO QB and a 5 star out of high school, so the expectations were that he'd be very good, but nobody expected Heisman/Championship/what he's doing in the NFL. Granted...it's impossible to ever expect something like that, but he definitely surpassed the wildest of hopes.

15. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I mean they knew this was a risk and seemed happy enough to just get away from Texas and be in the SEC. They knew it could take a while to get their footing and they were still ok with it. Still, finishing 8th, 9th,7th, and 5th can't be easy. I just wish it didn't open up so much exposure to the SEC in Texas markets. It's going to make recruiting the state a lot harder. 3 of the top 5 high school players in Texas left the state. Two went to the SEC. That's not awesome.

A&M will be fine. They're happy where they are.

16. Hustle Town

Fair points. In addition to the SEC gaining ground, lesser players (sorry, it's true) in the power structure of Texas like Baylor, TCU, and UH have really exploited the absence of a strong power. Ed Oliver to UH, Patrick Hudson to Baylor, Isaiah Chambers to TCU...those recruits don't choose those schools a few years ago. It really represents a fundamental shift in the recruiting landscape of Texas. All of this makes A&M look even worse. Sumlin's days at A&M are definitely numbered (or should be).

17. Newlin

Newlin Member

You guys are making it sound like the Aggies had a disastrous recruiting season. It doesn't look all that bad to me. I'm a little surprised they did as well as they did with all problems they had at the end of the season. I see where the Longhorns are coming in with about a 11th ranked class, while the Aggies are at about 18. Not that big of a difference really.

The Aggies have recruited well ever since they moved to the SEC. It's true that the other SEC teams are tough to beat in the recruiting game. But, the Aggies national recruiting ranking has improved overall. I think 18th is their lowest ranking since they moved to the SEC. Not horrible in my opinion.

Have to hand it to Charlie Strong though. The Horns just didn't look good at all on the field this year, so I thought that may hurt the recruiting. UT needs to get back to having those top 5 recruiting classes. Some success on the field should take care of that.

The team that is coming on strong is Baylor. If Baylor keeps having strong recruiting years, then look out. In recent years they've been performing really well without getting the top talent. They've upgraded their facilities, and Briles seems to be building a consistent winner. I see continued success for Baylor.

Too bad the Coogs couldn't finish strong. It looked like they were going to have a top 25 class for a while. I guess most of the Coogs recruits had already committed before today, so there wasn't anywhere to go but down. Meanwhile some teams like UT had a lot of players hold off on committing until today, so they made a big jump. Still a solid class for UH.

Pretty amazing what Bama can do year after year. Winning National Championships just keeps attracting more and more talent. Bama has a great coach and the best talent. It's almost like every player on the Bama team is destined for the NFL.

18. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Good point. Also, they're both disappointments on the field.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I think some feel it is disastrous considering the class they had (believe it was number 1 at some point). They had 4-5 big time decommits and lost out on a lot of prospects most thought were A&M leans (mostly to UT as well). But I agree, the class isn't that bad on paper.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Good insight here. Tired of UT/TAMU fans playing pee-pee games back and forth when they both suck on the field. UT did a good job and I like Strong in general. TAMU's been doing well in recruiting for several years now. Now someone other than TCU and Baylor needs to win.