1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

National Review claims racism after firing writer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

and yet Al Sharpton has a primetime cable news show

2. Apps

Apps Member

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/04/06/459961/derbyshire-avoid-concentrations-of-blacks/

(10a) Avoid concentrations of blacks not all known to you personally.

(10b) Stay out of heavily black neighborhoods.

(10c) If planning a trip to a beach or amusement park at some date, find out whether it is likely to be swamped with blacks on that date (neglect of that one got me the closest I have ever gotten to death by gunshot).

(10d) Do not attend events likely to draw a lot of blacks.

(10e) If you are at some public event at which the number of blacks suddenly swells, leave as quickly as possible.

(10f) Do not settle in a district or municipality run by black politicians.

(10g) Before voting for a black politician, scrutinize his/her character much more carefully than you would a white.

(10h) Do not act the Good Samaritan to blacks in apparent distress, e.g., on the highway.

(10i) If accosted by a strange black in the street, smile and say something polite but keep moving.

(11) The mean intelligence of blacks is much lower than for whites. The least intelligent ten percent of whites have IQs below 81; forty percent of blacks have IQs that low. Only one black in six is more intelligent than the average white; five whites out of six are more intelligent than the average black. These differences show in every test of general cognitive ability that anyone, of any race or nationality, has yet been able to devise. They are reflected in countless everyday situations. “Life is an IQ test.”

His article, apparently: http://takimag.com/article/the_talk_nonblack_version_john_derbyshire#axzz1rBeqdcIl

I say we should wait for more facts before making a judgment call. ;)

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What is your comment on the subject at hand? Was the writer wrong and should he be fired?

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The whole article, particularly this part, is unflattering but seems like useful market research. My black, immigrant parents never gave me any goofy ass talk but I'd wonder; and I say that with equal parts skepticism and curiosity, if older white, and generally tolerant parents felt the need to pass this advice on to their kids.

5. Commodore

not sure if the data he cited is wrong (it was just government crime statistics iirc), but using it to justify racism is wrong, and he was rightly fired

6. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

While blacks do commit crimes at higher rates than non-blacks, I think I'll just take my chances. Who would want to live like Derbyshire suggests? Just treat people as you would want to be treated and see what happens.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Blacks committing more crime than non-blacks means little to nothing.

In any given population, if you group people by race, some races will commit more crime, some less, things have to be disperesed some way. The possibility that a random population of humans classified into races exhibit roughly the same amount of crime is as likely as winning the lottery.

To "prove" that any race is more/less criminal than other races, you would have to go above and beyond the idiot statistics and somehow decipher who's crime statistics are clearly deviating from any sort of norm, and then you have to rule out all external influences (access to education, financial stability, generally things which may influence a person to commit crime) and THEN.... MAAAAAYBE you could try to make an educated guess about whether a single group committing more crime is just statistical randomness or indicative of a racial problem.

Before you ask, yes you do have to care about external influences because you are directly involved in the decisions which lead to those external influences. No one chooses to live in a bad neighbourhoo,d no one wants a horrible school, no one wants to have to sleep with a gun. These are consequences of government policy, and it is the people who you vote for who enact these policies. You get a vote and they get a vote, you can affect it just as much as they do. If we start voting for things which will increase crime, and then we tell our children to separate from the influenced criminals, then we are just brutal savages in suits. We are just cowards who won't yell out "slash their access to education, and I will shield my seed from them" This is like when animals feed on the weak. Like when hyenas eat other animals alive after harrassing them.

Frankly, to those parents I say: the safety of your kids is lower on my personal agenda than the safety of kids who do not differentiate between people based on randomly inherited characteristics. There are kids getting shot because of this type of parent and this type of child, because of the type of parent who takes the easy way out by teaching their kid how to rate people by colors. If anything, the children of those parents are making a mockery of those parents by picking up the most advanced gadgets available to civilians today and working them just fine. My nephew is 6 years old and knows how to use an iPad 2 with his eyes closed, and he can also walk AND TALK you through almost every MMA move you can imagine. There is absolutely no need to damage a child even temporarily just because your lazy dumba$$ can't figure out a way to teach a child how to be safe without invading their brain with your own racism.

To me, this kind of family is free to do what it wants, but they are unwelcome and personally I will do my best to marginalize them because this is the group that has power and marginalizes others. IMO we can't have that.

If your child was old enough to know it, he/she would be begging you to focus your parenting on locking up your own bias, while unlocking their mind. But I guess we wait till they are old enough and yell at them "I did what I had to do because I loved you so much!!"

Yeah right. Maybe part of it is because you love them. But the reality is you're worshipping yourself, just not man/woman enough to admit it.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Oh no, this is extremely useful. Don't let your kids around white men because they're statistically more likely to be pedophiles. Don't let your kids around the blacks or the latins because they're statistically more likely to be gang members. Be smart, play the odds. A guide for life.

10. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Indeed.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

13. Commodore

It's not how likely relative to some other group that matters, it's how likely in general.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Wait a minute....

People still read National Review?

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As I understand it, it is propped up by a rich conservative backer, and consistantly looses a whole lot of money.

People never read it in large numbers.

16. amaru

amaru Member

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

You have two unsupported premises here that are pretty critical for your argument. The first is that government policy is responsible for those problems. This is the big one. The lesser premise is that the government who makes policies is voted for by the people who rely on those statistics. Unless both of those are true, your entire argument is baseless.

18. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I forgot were I read it but the socio economic statistics for first generation immigrant black Africans are pretty much equal to suburban middle class whites.

So I guess the caveat in his study is African immigrants.

Of course I highly doubt the writer can differentiate between a Nigerian or Senegalese black and Tron Carter from Detroit.

19. amaru

amaru Member

lol @ tron carter.