1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nate Griffin: 'Back the day, every NBA team had THIS, starts with an E ends with a R'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Jul 18, 2023.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Clickbait thumbnail. Ja Morant's actual opinion:
    Ja Morant on Twitter: "♾️" / Twitter

"The League" doesn't like an all-NBA defender who plays with edge. Shocking.

The Grizzlies tried to resign him and he said no. What other reason than it was a lowball offer? They wanted to max up Bane and didn't have the space for him too, even though he's been a core member and contributor for 6 years. THAT is the "real reason". He wanted to be paid like the guys he had run with, that were getting the bag.

He went ham on the mic and had a rough series. Don't understand why the Grizzlies let out that statement though. At best it's extremely unprofessional. This guy probably deserved more money than they offered him and knew it, said some stupid **** into a mic. Ja Morant is waving guns and getting suspended, with a max contract. How does that work? Feels like they needed something to distract from Morant's continued idiocy with alcohol and weapons.

BamBam likes this.
  2. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Pop is pop, zen is zen, Tommy's still Tommy, they're HOFs, nothing's changed except they're getting older like us.
    As i said in our last debate, first tier coach plus generational player are key recipes to cook for a championship caliber team. Pop's been wasting no time by searching for their next franchise player (ever since retirement of spurs trio), yup he won zero things doesn't prove to be he in a regression, unless yo can prove those kids in past yrs under his wing got generational talent as good as TD/TP/MG.
    So my point is, Ime has been there, he saw how pop cook, it's no shame for Ime who is from 'pop tree' to cook same cuisines in town, say tryna search for an enforcer for our boys, if he does believe thats important for this team, we should give credit to.

hmmmm…there is a liiiiiiittle bit controversy here:
    'who those around you are teammates.' - 100% agree
    'Draymond is a defensive extroadinaire.....' -
    Nah, sure…draymond is unique, he's different…but like yo a/m, without his teammates splash bros, bogut, Iggy etc., without kerr's structure, he would've been nobody (like wht he was in Philly).
    That's why i believe it's way too early to say Dillon Experiment gonna fall short, amof many players in league history once they changed an environment they clicked with new teammates n got blossom right away.

my conclusion, it seems no matter it's during off season or weeks before playoffs, we always encounter 'agree to disagree' situation, say 'MDA's small ball', 'silas incompetent', n this time is 'whether dillon villain fit in well'. We got 8-month to go, Ime will gI've us an answer.

BamBam likes this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

You don't know Dray

There are a lot of players that criticize Pops.
    Kawhi Leonard, DeJounte Murray, Vernon Maxwell, etc

#83 ApacheWarrior, Jul 19, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2023
    DeBeards likes this.
  4. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

bruh yo do know nowadays kids right?…Pop born to be a soldier (served in military), old school, i wouldn't feel surprise he can't get along well with some of those new generations, vice versa…anyway i respect all hard-nosed coach.

BamBam likes this.
  5. kpdark

kpdark Member

seems like I can't survive this loooooooooooong waaaaaaaaaiiiiittttttt

DeBeards likes this.
  6. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

I know him, i dunt like him.
    im not a big fan of GSW, splash bros n Kerr. They are exaggerated, their 'dynasty' is typical hand-made bubbles by created nba officials.

BamBam likes this.
  7. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

[​IMG]

BamBam and kpdark like this.
  8. NewAge

NewAge Member

Adam Silver had a very good interview on the topic of physicality in the NBA, you can look it up. The guy has thought deeply about it and I completely agree with his views.

Basically, he says in the 90s the league was way too physical and it was turning some fans away. But now he thinks they have gone to the other extreme and they need to find some balance.

That's my view, too. I would like to see players skills on display, but would not want them overprotected and turning basketball into a non-contact sport. The best players in the past, like Dream and MJ, managed to play with fluidity through heavy physical contact. I wouldnt want an NBA that is all non-contact Skills Challenge and acrobatics. Players like Jalen Green, Ty Maxey and Herro who many consider as top players, to me they are just meh...

9. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

100%
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BamBam likes this.
  10. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

If Adam stands in players' shoes, he could easily understand, firstly, nowadays the season is longer, players play much more games than those in 70s n 80s; secondly, since players present more live games to fans, the league can make bigger pie (more sponsors more profit) which make many players joining billionairs club at a very young age, once they become billionairs they'll think about how to stay healthy, less injuries n secure a longer professional career (more $$), ONE of many ways to make games easier is to stay away from paint, more dribble dribble, throwing more 3s, lower down 'unnecessary' contact, (in some games)keep the defensive intensity at a low level.
    That's why defense-oriented players in the market (say Dillon) are countable as well as being pursuited by serious contenders.

BamBam likes this.
  11. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

They’ve had 82 game seasons since 1967 and didn’t they actually reduce preseason several years back? Playoffs were expanded but that only impacts a few teams. I’d be curious if data backs up your assertion that injuries occur more in the paint than elsewhere — seems like it could be right, but there’s also a ton of ligament tears that occur on the perimeter.

Yung-T and DeBeards like this.
  12. kpdark

kpdark Member

13. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

14. prs325

prs325 Member

If Dillon is Artest part 2, this is great deal for the Rockets

clos4life likes this.