1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NASA Study] Earn $17,000 for 90 days

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by famicom, May 8, 2008.

1. famicom

famicom Member

Linky

Need a break from the working, walking, and standing required by the demanding and stressful life you lead?

Well, pack your bags for Houston because NASA wants to pay you $17,000 to stay in bed for 90 straight days.

The bed-rest experiment, to take place in the Human Test Subject Facility of Johnson Space Center, is designed to allow scientists to study some of the effects of microgravity on the human body. We read on the Bed Rest Study website:

Participants will spend 90 days lying in bed, (except for limited times for specific tests) with their body slightly tilted downward (head down, feet up). Every day, they will be awake for 16 hours and lights out (asleep) for 8 hours.

It's unclear, however, whether you'll be allowed to read with a flashlight under the covers.

Jokes aside, astronauts who've spent lengthy stays in space have suffered serious repercussions. Our bodies have evolved mechanisms to deal with a certain amount of gravitational force--namely, the amount present on Earth; reduce g and blood pools in the feet, muscles atrophy and bones lose their density. It can take astronauts (or cosmonauts) months to readjust to the Earth's gravitational force.

If you're still interested, feel free to apply. You'll have to pass the Air Force medical examination standards and take a blood test, which we assume means that you won't have any help from recreational drugs to alleviate the boredom of lying prone for 2,160 hours.

Here at Wired Science, we can't decide if this is the sweetest way to make five grand a month or the worst punishment you could inflict on a person. The deciding factor seems to be the inclusion of a World of Warcraft subscription.

2. WWR

WWR Member

I'm not sure that's worth the money.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

If only I had 3 months vacation. :(

4. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

A whole new meaning to "spacing out".

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm lazy and enjoy laying in bed, but that would totally suck. I think I would go insane.

6. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

muscle atrophy is totally worth $17,000

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I wouldn't even do it for $170,000 . I would do it for $1.7 million, though. :)

8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I'm out of shape anyway so I'd do it.

But I don't pass drug tests for work I'm not passing one to lay in bed for 3 months.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Holy Crap! Don't think I could do it...I need some human interaction, if you know what I mean...

10. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

It's enough money to be interesting, but not enough for me to quit my (low paying) job and do it.

I've been working out pretty consistently for a couple of months now, so seeing that go to waste and then some would really suck. Plus it would destroy my relationship being completely isolated from my gf for that long. I also doubt there's a lot of time to "take care of business" there, and there's an even slimmer chance that there's any helpful materials for such a thing.

Then when it's all over you have months of adjusting to do just to get back to normal. You'd be lucky if you could even go back to a job that requires any amount of physical activity. So in the end, it's more like $17,000 for 6 months of torture, which I know for a lot of people here is basically just like going to work anyway.

EDIT:

Then again...

If the money is tax free, and you're not paying any bills (cable/electric/rent) or buying food...it's essentially like saving $17,000. Hmm...

#10 ClutchCityReturns, May 8, 2008
    Last edited: May 8, 2008
  11. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Summer of George!

12. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

3 months no sex? I've suffered through that before, but that's actually 3 months without the possibility of sex. :eek:

13. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Look at crappy NASA trying to low ball us.

$17,000 aint SHIAT for THAT

Give me $1.7 Mill and maybe I'll think about it

14. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You beat me.

15. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Too much me time? :cool:

16. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Like that's not old yet...

Come on!
    [​IMG]

17. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

A big FAT no.

I'm gonna waste all of my hard work of weight training.

Nope!

18. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Your muscles remeber so the length of time for getting back in shape is significantly shorter. I'm sure the nasa fols will put you on a healthy diet so your not likely to be vegging out and eating Ding Dongs. Plus, your $17,000 richer.

19. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

I lol'd

20. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

give me a 360 and 3 games along with broadband access and id do it