1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NASA Funding: what percentage of the federal budget?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dmc89, Dec 6, 2014.

?

What percentage of the budget should NASA get?

Poll closed Dec 6, 2015.
  1. Less than the current 0.5%

12.7%
  2. Keep it at 0.5%

18.2%
  3. Increase, from 0.5% up to 5.0%

40.0%
  4. Increase, 5.0% to 10.0%

10.9%
  5. Increase, over 10.0%

18.2%
  1. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I think funding for NASA should be one of the top priorities for this nation along with campaign finance reform, public education, infrastructure, and the environment/climate change. Had a healthy discussion at work today while we watched the Orion launch. It's NASA's way to get the public's interest rekindled for Mars and beyond.

Currently, NASA's annual budget is 0.5% of our Federal budget. Here's roughly what it used to be over the years:

1960 0.5%
    1965 4.3% ~$38.5 billion today
    1970 1.9%
    1975 1.0%
    1980 0.8%
    1985 0.75%
    1990 1.0%
    1995 0.9%
    2000 0.75%
    2005 0.63%
    2010 0.50%
    2015 0.50% [predicted] ~$17 billion

I think the 1960s should be a baseline and not the zenith as it is now. The percentage should go up from there (if we can reduce costs from other areas). I vote 5.0% at the very least, which would be $170 billion.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I voted to keep it the same, but that was only because there wasn't a less drastic increase available. I'd be fine with giving them more, but not 10 times more unless there was a specific goal in mind that required that much.

3. rudan

rudan Member

increase to 5% after cutting 90% of welfare entitlements.

4. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

This. My first thought was to double it to 1.0% and go from there.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

don't stop there. Medicare, Medicaid, food stamps, teacher salaries reduce them all.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Is this the part where we start quoting from Atlas Shrugged?

7. Major

Major Member

Which $153B worth of programs would you cut to get there?

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Find out what you cut out of a $2-3 trillion budget first before expanding spending to enhance curiosity in an individual topic. The '40s, '60s and Greenspan era are never coming back; we can't just blindly spend on defense and aeronautics and bet on economic gain to cover the sunk costs and additional debt.

9. dmc89

dmc89 Member

This question should've been, if all other Federal budget sectors with overspending were tackled, and there were money left over which NASA could use, how much of a percent of that pie should be for NASA?

To get there, as in within 10 years, I would eliminate:

The federal crop insurance program. $90B saved.
    Subsidies to oil & gas. $100B saved.
    Eliminate the F-35 JSF program. $37B saved.

That's $227B right there and I haven't started on SS/Healthcare/Pensions/Defense/Taxes overall.

See above. Also blindly spend on aeronautics/space (defense I'll agree with)? Bet on economic gain to cover the costs? Do you have any familiarity with the benefits that NASA has brought since its inception i.e. GPS? I believe you work in the energy industry so I'll assume your pat-on-the-head attitude towards space funding as "enhancing curiosity on a an individual topic" is why you wrote that. Spending on NASA is R&D which helps our economy, enables our understanding of existence and our universe, and potentially the survival of our species.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Private sector companies and universities can subsidize it and ascertain the economically valuable incentives. We don't have the money to do that anymore. Aeronautics, space and defense contractors employ the same talent to provide similar services, so you can't bifurcate and cherry pick between them.

11. dmc89

dmc89 Member

NASA needs that kind of money if we want people on Mars, rovers to places like Enceladus/Titan/Europa, advanced propulsion systems, fusion power, and so on.

I'm noticing a disheartening problem. This is a Space City forum. Yet, this topic doesn't click as do threads on race and Islam. How are so many of you ignorant of the benefits that NASA has brought to our world economy, and that it has programs ready-to-go which simply lack funding?

12. Major

Major Member

What? So you cut 10 years' worth of programs to fund NASA for 1 year. How do you fund them for the other 9? If you're going to use 10 year budgets, then you need to cut $1.53 trillion over that period.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Do we really want people on Mars that bad though? What benefit would it have other than being super cool?

14. dmc89

dmc89 Member

If we make the right cuts as I mentioned above, there's plenty of money. As far as cherry-picking, I'd rather waste some money on NASA contractors rather than the status quo. Anecdotally, the programs which defense contractors specifically have for space have less waste than conventional defense programs.

More importantly, I believe you and I are on fundamentally different sides as far as space funding priorities. We'll just have to disagree. The hurdles needed for things like better jet propulsion systems or building better space-based-telescopes ($200B at least) cannot be touched by the private sector and universities. I believe there are some thing which only governments can afford. I believe that somethings are so significant to society, indeed the entire human race, that leaving it the private sector/universities is irresponsible.

15. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I will get back to you. Those were the low hanging fruit which immediately came to my mind. I will look at my old posts from the debt ceiling thread on where to trim the fat. I remember there was plenty of fat to trim from healthcare alone.

16. dmc89

dmc89 Member

To quote one of my favorite shows on this very topic:

Super cool has less to do with it as it our destiny. I'm an astronomy junkie. Our Earth is just a stepping stone to the Cosmos. Practically speaking if you don't like this Interstellar rhetoric, then inhabiting two planets roughly 130 million miles apart.

17. dmc89

dmc89 Member

* then inhabiting two planets roughly 130 million miles apart is better for the survival our species. That inter-planetary travel gives us a warm up to exploring further out in the Solar System, then interstellar/intergalactic travel.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'd rather spend that money on a train system for Houston. Houston we have a problem.

what would NASA do with 10x more money? The Shuttle really did need to be scaled way back.

You know United Space Alliance (a for-profit company) employed 10,000 people, pretty much to work solely on the Space Shuttle program.

I'm not anti-NASA by any stretch, but they don't have enough useful ideas/programs to warrant 10x right now. That said, in ten years if we start colonizing something,,,then yes.

19. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I voted for the most modest of options to increase. Don't get me wrong --I'm irritated I'm not living in an O'neil Cylinder in Legrange Point 5 that's powered by Helium-3 in a fusion reactor. I'm all in for space exploration and funding science in general, and I understand that the payoffs are often very long-term, and often have unforeseen benefits in innovation, but I don't know how realistically you could get Congress to budge on it.

1 person likes this.
  20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I second this question.

What are we cutting?

Or what taxes are we raising?