1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Naomi Osaka withdraws from French Open, cites mental health

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 1, 2021.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Seems to me like this episode was a bot of a non-story except that Osaka won't be in the French Open. She didn't want to do the job, so she's not doing it. Great.

In the future, however, especially given her clout, it seems reasonable that tournaments give her reasonable accommodation. That should not mean she gets to just skip her promotion responsibility (if all athletes skipped out, none of them would be making any money), but surely some smart people can figure out a way so can serve in promoting the sport without causing her unacceptable mental burdens. Then write that into the contract.

Rocket River likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Am I a little boy or a little girl?

Can you clarify that so I know how to feel about your post?

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How is a press conference promotional responsibility?

I understand what press conferences are supposed to be about but there is no way those things affect anybodies bottom line that much.

And with the gotcha culture every reporter is just trying to outdo each other to ask the question that will get the most reaction.

It is amazing that people who have probably not watched a complete Tennis match let alone one by Osaki feel so strongly about this.

4. JuanValdez

Sports is entertainment. Fans of sports (I think there are many here at the bbs) like to watch games, but they also like to look at stats, hear opinions, analyze, hear from athletes about their strategy, mindsets, and emotions. It's a much more immersive experience than just watching players play. If basketball gives you all that and tennis doesn't, some may be of a mind to follow a more immersive basketball experience with interviews and analysis and the who shebang than watch strangers hit a ball on a tennis court. So you do the press conferences, the interviews, the meet-and-greets, the twitter, and everything else to entertain the sports fanatics and keep them coming.

Slyonebluejay, tinman and JumpMan like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree with this but that's not what happens most of the time in press conferences, did she say she did not want to do anything with the media?

Did she say anything about meet and greets or twitter?

Maybe I missed something but you seem to lumping a lot of stuff together.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The only press conference I want to see is one with the umpires or referees from the respective sport and have them be confronted with the obviously bad calls they made and have them explain what they saw. That would be entertainment.

#126 bobrek, Jun 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The French don’t want athletes who don’t talk or rap

8. JuanValdez

I don't know and it doesn't matter. The point is they do these things to support their revenue streams. The time to address it is when you're signing a contract.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have no idea what that has to do with what we were talking about.

I don't see how PR's is supporting anyones revenue stream.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It does. PR is a huge part of sports. The athletes sell the sport and drive up interest and ratings.

11. Buck Turgidson

JK Simmons is swoll as hell

jiggyfly and Invisible Fan like this.
  12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Especially when they are from Belgium.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Same thing

14. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I don't really see the issue. If she's unable to meet her obligations then let her take the time off she needs.

Slyonebluejay and tinman like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

I really have no idea why anyone is criticizing her, or really gives a crap in general.

King1, jiggyfly, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

Certain jobs require you to appear in public and talk .
    Kawhi talks. Sometimes

17. DonatelloLimestone

You really don't think PR, press access, interviews have anything to do with the revenue stream? You think they just do them for fun or to teach the true emotion behind the game or just for the press and players to spend time after sweaty matches getting to know eachother? All of that is air time, all the interviews we read, the featured highlights pieces all feed in to the entertainment and drama side of sports and building characters, branding and brings in different views and connections. The access and story telling there are major things they use to sell sports.

Now I also agree she should be able to opt out take time whenever she wants but in the long run folks like her and kyrie are going to have to go through players associations(tennis doesnt have a strong one) and try to see if they can quantify and challenge the status quo. i hope they do for me personalyl especially in hoops they give too much access to point less interviews: the coaches interviews in between quarters and also let human beings change in locker rooms before they have to deal with people crowding them.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You'd quit watching your favorite sport if the athletes didn't participate in press conferences?

You think an enormous amount of people would quit watching? I can't remember the last time I watched a post game/match press conference. Granted, that's my personal viewing habits, but if all mandatory press conferences ended today, I just didn't see interest waning in the particular sport.

19. VanityHalfBlack

Where's Sharapova at? She still competing? With her fine ass.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

PR is press conference not Public Relations.