1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Name the player who got you hooked on basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ParaSolid, Aug 29, 2010.

1. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

2. YaosDirtyStache

Reggie Miller. There was not one player in this league who played bigger in the 4th. The guy sheer willed his team to victory with a limited set of skills...shame he never got his ring because if anyone deserved it, it was him.

And he was LOYAL to the Pacers in the good times and bad. Dude had swagger.

3. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

Both my favorites back then also.. not as ashamed of tmac as I am of Vick. Tracy shouldve retired after 07-08 tho. I had a man-crush on him.

4. Hball

Hball Member

I always watched and played basketball here and there but I became obbsessed with it when T-mac got here in 05, I was hooked the night him and dirk went at each other for 48 and 54 points.

Ever since I've taped every game to get my fix... :grin: guy was the complete package, length, range, handles, quickness, athlecticism, court vision, shot-blocking(in Toronto) and a good rebounder for a SG.

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Pete Maravich. Got me a pair of beat up old socks and some low-cut black converse and met the kids at the playground.

6. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

First player I liked was Toni Kukoč
    First player that got me hooked on basketball? The Dream :cool:

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Thats more an age thing than a ignorance or snub thing. It seems most people who watched those guys ball just don't post in sports forums that much. Good, it allows me to look like a b-ball historian :eek:

For me in order it was
    Magic
    Bird
    Dr
    Ralph
    Hakeem
    Clyde

Who got me into the college game?

"Never Nervous" Pervis (Ellison) ... lol

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Great basketball game. When players would transform into afro-perm guy and his pic came up while you were shooting, you knew it was lights out.

Someone shares your opinion on Dell Curry
    http://sauerssuite.blogspot.com/2009/06/ode-to-dell-curry-tecmo-titan.html

9. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Kevin Johnson

10. yaonow

yaonow Member

same here i first started watching bball when reggie made it to the finals and i went outside and practiced buzzer beaters lol

11. dropshot001

dropshot001 Member

hakeem. watching a big guy move with the grace and fluidity that he did was just amazing. the nba was also a more center dominated league back then so watching his battles with o'neal, ewing and robinson among others was pretty awesome

12. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

damn this thread is making me wonder if most of the members here are born in the 90's.

13. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Magic Johnson

Beautiful brand of basketball. Could get you whatever the team needed: 40 points, 15 assists or 15 boards.

2nd - Dominique Wilkins - The Human Highlight Film ... Got cheated out of dunk contest in Chicago because everyone was on MJs nuts. Player that taught me it doesn't matter how much talent or heart you have if the other team is just better by far.

14. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

Olajuwon when I was a little boy then I forgot all about basketball a couple years ..then I bought NBA 2K for dreamcast and that was when I discovered Francis and little by little I began to love basketball.

I live from a non basketball country (Sweden)so youre kind of an outsider when u like basketball overhere..

15. albuster

albuster Member

John Havlicek and Walt Frazier

16. RocketsFan09

RocketsFan09 Member

Allen Iverson with the 76'ers he was the smallest guy on the court and, at times took on the entire opposing team...

Great player, bad choices/ego

17. adammendoza4

adammendoza4 Member

What go me hooked was watching the whole team play when I was around 9 years old..i was young so my parents made me sleep early,and I didn't watch alot of games..but when I got older and was able to sleep late,cuttino mobley was my favorite player...I remeber I would say I would name my son after him..when he got traded to Orlando,it sucked because that was my favorite player,but I hated tmac when he played against us,so to know he was on our side,made tmac my favorite player...cuttino got me hooked though

18. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Grant Hill. Dude was sick in his prime its damn sad to see what injuries can do to a player.

19. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

I'm young and started really taking interest during the '94 season and it would have to be non other than Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Hakeem for sure. I was 6 years old during the first championship and attended every single playoff game.