1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Name the player who got you hooked on basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ParaSolid, Aug 29, 2010.

1. EMAN34

EMAN34 Contributing Member

Larry Bird, to me he had the passion to win. He wasnt really fast or strong, but but just got it done. Made incredible shots and that whole Lakers/Celtics rivalry got me hooked on basketball

2. sefril

sefril Member

Hakeem "Dream" Olajuwon..

he came to my country (Indonesia) when he just got the title (i forgot, year 1994 or 1995, i'm still 9-10 years back then) and even prayed on Indonesia greatest mosque in that time (Istiqlal).. for me he's not only basketball idol, but such inspiring moslem role model..

after he retired, incidentally Indonesia did not have NBA matches played on tv (there is no broadband tv here until 2000).. but i always follow Rockets on the newspapers (only seeing the scoreboard and standings.. sometimes 3 paragraph review..) and internet (since 2002).. luckily, after 2003 or 2004, i have got the broadband tv and sometimes watch the Rockets games on ESPN..

1 person likes this.
  3. jman255

jman255 Member

Scotty Brooks. That lil dude made me realize it was ok to be white.

4. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

I'm pretty sure for the 2002-2003 season he had a higher efficiency than magic or bird ever had, it was up there with MJ...of course it was only one season but people tend to think t-mac was overrated as an inidividual talent these days because it's the cool thing to do. The dude could just flat out ball, it's very similar to what we seen from durant these days. These guys aren't the best winners (although I really think Durant gets it more than t-mac ever will and he's well on his way) but they were certainly players who had uncomparable basketball skills. A prime t-mac had the best basketball skillset he just didn't have to the will dominate with them all the time.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aCeqXBYFctY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aCeqXBYFctY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

he was a little quicker than hardaway....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lUQki8E455w?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lUQki8E455w?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

if this isn't getting up I don't know what is and this was in 2008 so I'm pretty sure in 2002-2003 he was getting a little higher...just sayin'

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4bGGlpkQi_w?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4bGGlpkQi_w?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

5. bwelliott

bwelliott New Member

It's good to see a number of "Moses Malone"'s, because he was the first one to hook me to basketball, followed a few years later by Akeem and Clyde at UH and then Ralph Sampson. (Houston was a great place to grow up to watch good post play.) So, there are at least a few old-timers around.

6. lionaire

lionaire Member

Francis/Mobley

7. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Clyde Drexler. He played the game the right way, was always silky smooth just like his nickname (except when he was kicking himself in the butt during one of his patented three's lol), he resurrected our team in 1995 which was the first year I followed the Rockets hard (I was a 9yr old casual spectator when we won it all in 1994). Plus, he was the favorite player of one of the girls I had a crush on in 6th grade :)

9. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

LOL Sam Cassell. I was a young teenager watching the finals and he was fun to watch.

Jordan and Dream next

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

When I was about 8 years old my father took me to my first Rocket's game at the Summit. During the warmups, I asked him who was good. He pointed at a guy going by Akeem Olajuwon. He did not lie. The Rockets have been a big part of my life ever since. And I don't even like other sports. Were it not for Olajuwon, I've no doubt I'd have no interest in basketball either.

11. c0r0na21

c0r0na21 Member

Same The Franchise....was my inspiration.

12. joegoroxy

joegoroxy Member

my dad got me into watching Hakeem and the rockets in 91' and ive been a basketball fan ever since! :grin:

i used to get so upset when the rockets lost, but when the championship years happened, thats when i got hooked for life! :grin:

13. Lovemachine2000

This.

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

I used to watch Moses, Rudy, Calvin, etc. back in the day, but what really woke me up was Phi Slamma Jamma. After that almost-championship season, I was addicted.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Vince Carter

fricken looooved him when he first came into the league, must have watched that dunk contest a million times

16. psingh34

psingh34 Member

dream all the way .. i would practice fading out of bounds on the side line shooting jumpers, fake going left and then turning around to shoot .. fun times

17. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Hersey Hawkins and Dell Curry on the Charlotte Hornets. They were bomb from downtown on Tecmo NBA Basketball on the original Nintendo when I first starting liking basketball. 92ish.

18. Tmcrcks1

Tmcrcks1 Member

THIS!

19. Steve_Francis_rules

Are you really using a video of prime T-Mac blowing by a broken down old Penny Hardaway as proof that T-Mac was quicker?

Hell, I could probably get by T-Mac these days, does that mean I'm quicker than both of them?

20. rocketman73

rocketman73 Member

i feel that the player who introduced me to basketball most had to be Hakeem Olajuwon. I started watching lots of basketball ever since he was with the team. ever since then I never stopped watching basketball especially the Houston Rockets.