1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NAACP invites Romney to speak, then shamefully boos him

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jul 11, 2012.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...ws-boos-applause-from-NAACP-crowd-3699210.php

Speaking to the 103rd annual convention of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney pleaded with his African-American listeners to give him a fair hearing, even though the vast majority presumably support President Barack Obama.

"I believe that if you understood who I truly am in my heart, and if it were possible to fully communicate what I believe is in the real, enduring best interest of African-American families, you would vote for me for president," he said. "I want you to know that if I did not believe that my policies and my leadership would help families of color – and families of any color – more than the policies and leadership of President Obama, I would not be running for president."

His audience greeted him with respectful, if not enthusiastic applause, and applauded occasionally at points throughout the speech – until he said he would eliminate ObamaCare, the Affordable Care Act upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court two weeks ago. The audience responded with thundering boos. His listeners also booed a few minutes later when he said he would be a more responsive president to the African-American community than the current occupant of the White House.

Earlier in the speech, Romney reminded his audience that as a Republican governor of Massachusetts, in a state with 11 percent Republican registration, he had to work with every voter. "We don't count anybody out, and we sure don't make a habit of presuming anyone's support. Support is asked for and earned – and that's why I'm here today."

Romney noted that with 90 percent of African Americans voting Democratic some would question why a Republican would even campaign in the African-American community. He told the audience of about 600 people that he believed his policies and vision would help middle-class Americans of all races, that they would lift people out of poverty and prevent people from becoming poor.

"My campaign is about helping the people who need help. The course the President has set won't do that. My course will," he said.

He noted that a chronically bad economy was even worse for African Americans in almost every way, including the unemployment rate, the duration of unemployment, average income, and median family wealth. He noted that in June, while the overall unemployment rate remained stuck at 8.2 percent, the unemployment rate for African Americans went up, from 13.6 percent to 14.4 percent.

He also promised education reform if elected president, including support for charter schools and opposition to the demands of teacher unions.

"If equal opportunity in America were an accomplished fact, black families could send their sons and daughters to public schools that truly offer the hope of a better life. Instead, for generations, the African-American community has been waiting and waiting for that promise to be kept," he said. "Today, black children are 17 percent of students nationwide – but they are 42 percent of the students in our worst-performing schools.

"When it comes to education reform, candidates cannot have it both ways – talking up education reform, while indulging the same groups that are blocking reform. You can be the voice of disadvantaged public-school students, or you can be the protector of special interests like the teachers' unions, but you can't be both. I have made my choice: As president, I will be a champion of real education reform in America, and I won't let any special interest get in the way."

He said that under a Romney presidency federal education funds would be linked to a student, so that parents can send their child to any public or charter school, or to a private school. "And I will make that a true choice by ensuring there are good options available to all," he said.

"I can't promise you that I will agree on every issue," Romney said toward the end of his 20-minute address, "but I do promise that your hospitality to me today will be returned." If elected president, he said, he would be back at next year's convention.

Chandler Vaughan, executive director of the Juanita Craft Foundation in Dallas and an NAACP member since 1982, said he thought Romney's reference to canceling what he called Obamacare "was a purposeful attempt to solicit that kind of reaction from an audience, which can then be used for his own purposes in his political campaign. I thought that the NAACP audience here today was very respectful under the circumstances."

The Rev. James Nash, pastor of St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church in Sunnyside, said he was glad Romney came, but that he didn't hear any solutions. "Then he had the audacity to talk about repealing Obamacare. That's his plan. ... He should have known he was going to get a negative reaction to that," Nash said.

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

The only time in that speech he was being brutally honest. One boo corresponding to one billion slashed in crucial public service projects.

(I'm sure he got a friendlier reception at the LIBOR-corruption dinner in London with Barclays around. He could be much more sincere about who his policies benefit.)

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Shamefully booed him? Uhhh did you read the article?

They gave applause most of the time.

Him saying he will repeal "Obamacare" is more shameful than them booing him, lol.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think Romney acting of his own accord would figure out a way to politically and administratively cater to blacks.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The only reason he went was to get a soundbite of them booing him

It will help with the TeaPartiers

Rocket River

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Hey guys I know the majority of you support Obamacare.
    Therefore I will repeal it.

No **** he got booed. BigFail by BigTexxx.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think he was fully expecting the boos but I am pretty sure he wasn't there trolling for votes. From what I have heard it sounds like for the most part he stuck to his stump speech and he was just there paying lip service.

8. DaleDoback

DaleDoback Contributing Member

I totally agree with OP. It is such a shameful act to 'Boo' a President or Presidential Candidate speaking to a crowd. Totally classless and........a little too old school for the modern times.

You're suppose to yell "LIAR' and the top of your lungs. That's the classy way to do it now-a-days.

:rolleyes:

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He was there as a show to moderates that that he'll be an "inclusive" president and won't ignore African Americans just because they'll overwhelmingly vote for Obama.

BTW, Mitt had a little Ron Burgundy moment during his speech.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6ubsRRAADTg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Here we go again. Another thread from the D&D resident troll.

How was it shameful, Texxx? Romney made an epic fail of make a ridiculous statement that was not only lacking logic but also idiotic considering the audience. What did he expect?

Don't try to suggest that Romney deserves respect regardless of what he says. Yeah, he heard some boos...It's safer than the extremists that used to bring/threaten to bring guns to Obama's appearances.

I don't know how you can support a man that has little to no understanding of a common American.

Obama is going to mop the floor with him.

11. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

maybe those who booed him are racist?:)
    or maybe he got booed cause he's white?

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Romney is notorious for saying anything in front of an audience for votes.

Hence the stupid things he had to say during the primary in front of various conservative audiences.

It was staged to replay for Tea Partiers or to help with his Etch a Sketch problems.

13. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

This. I can't wait for the debates. It will be like watching "Mitt Romney: The E! True Hollywood Story".

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's a very unique characteristic for a politician.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Romney is sticking to his stump speech so that he doesn't look like the flip-flopper he has been successfully painted as.

This is a huge win for him since now he can go to everyone and say - looks, me gotz conviction! And I be taking it to none other than the very N doube A C ya P. Booyah!