1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

N.C. Marriage Amendment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by giddyup, May 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It is a difficult situation for a church goer to get his mind around. For centuries the commonly accepted translation of the Bible was clear that homosexuality is a sin. The majority of Christians for those centuries have accepted that as fact. It is difficult for that to change.

I try to take a more rational perspective. Whether or not homosexuality is a sin does not impact whether or not it should be legal. The state (state or federal) is not tasked with the mission of seeing that you comply with God's will or getting you to heaven. If the state recognizes unions for tax or benefit purposes, it should recognize them equally among consenting adults. It should not force religious organizations to recognize them. Individual religious organizations can choose to work to change the hearts and minds of the populace as they see fit or are called to do so.

1 person likes this.
  2. SacTown

SacTown Member

You don't seem like the type who attends church?

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This. I don't get the argument that gay marriage is a threat to traditional marriage as people will still be free to have heterosexual marriages and religious institutions are free to ignore or accept any marriage that they choose to. To me it's like saying that Catholic marriage is threatened by the fact that people are married in non-Catholic churches. The Catholic church is free to recognize or not recognize a non-Catholic marriage.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Bull ****. If you want to play that game, however, OK.

Why do Republican Far-Right Conservatives like to lie in order to kill and maim hundreds of thousands of people?

5. Hightop

Hightop Member

Unless they have a university etc and are coerced to buy health insurance for same-sex spouses.

6. Hightop

Hightop Member

So Stephen King is morally wrong to think that 50% of "rich" people's money should be taken from them?

It's took a village to finance hundreds of Roman crucifixions a day.

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

As I said in a previous thread I would be fine allowing them an exception on that provided they also agreed not to take any government money to fund their operations.

Anyway just because they extend health insurance to same sex spouses doesn't mean that the institution officially endorse their marriage. I mean does a Catholic institution extending benefits to a Jewish employee mean that the church endorses Judaism?

8. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

I haven't finished reading the thread, but I couldn't let this slide.

With as much racist horse**** as you spew daily, you're lucky that Dr. King hasn't risen from his grave to eat your flesh.

Although he probably wouldn't like it, because it tastes too much like *******.

1 person likes this.
  9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I challenge you to post anything I've ever written that's "racist horse****".

As a Baptist minister, I doubt MLK would support gay marriage.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

And I'll put it this way (supportively): if it is a choice, about 500 species of animals also make the choice.

I guess zebras, lizards and what-have-you also get brainwashed by their own liberal hollywood agenda making homo sex look appealing in zebra and lizard and what-have-you movies.

11. Hightop

Hightop Member

Just get the government out of marriage. Simple.

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don't know about zebras and lizards but I know penguins have been brainwashed into being gay because of musicals like Happy Feet. ;)

13. esteban

esteban Member

The never ending race, religion, sexual orientation baiting from you lefties is just so old and tired. The people of North Carolina have spoken as well as the rest of America. We reject you and everything that you stand for.

Barry is having a bad day in North Carolina, I wonder is he still keeping his little convention in that state knowing those people just can't stand him?

BTW-Barry stop abusing Biden, please be kind to the mentally challenged.
    Do your own dirty work Barry!

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don't think you understand what the terms "entrenched" and "institution" mean.

15. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Do you actually look at data? or just spew whatever vapid nonsense that comes into your head?

Latest NC tracking poll

NC President '12

Barack Obama +3.1 46.5
    Mitt Romney 43.4

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wow. That was pretty special... an inspirational piece to all people facing serious late-onset dementia.

Pol Pot approves of your attitude toward other human beings who differ from you in some small way, so congrats on that.

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

but wait! The liberals are claiming they have momentum.

...meanwhile, the truth is that this is now the 30th state that has passed a similar bill. True to form, the liberals are claiming momentum, despite what's going on around them!

19. esteban

esteban Member

I smell desperation in the air brother!

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

8th grade?

There weren't many openly gays when I was in school (graduated 2004). None in middle school. A few in HS. Substantially more have come out since graduation.