1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

N.C. Marriage Amendment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by giddyup, May 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

And thank God all of those things are illegal. :rolleyes:

Seriously, what good Christian Republican is going to push for laws making adultery and sex outside of marriage jailable offenses? Let's not forget the covetous. All those Occupy Wall Street protesters should be in prison. And kids that don't obey their parents should be sent off to juvenile hall.

2. mclawson

mclawson Member

Recycled from ages long past:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from you and understand why you would propose and support a constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage. As you said "in the eyes of God marriage is based between a man a woman." I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination... End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is, my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2. clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev.21:20 states that I may ! not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle- room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

5 people like this.
  3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

To be fair, most Christians believe that Jesus fulfilled the laws of Moses and that once that happened, the old laws were no longer applicable. Instead, they're only bound by Jesus' New Covenant. That's why that they can be saved simply by accepting Jesus as their savior instead of having to strictly adhere to Mosaic law.

So it's always odd to me when Christians cite Leviticus in the gay marriage debate. If they believe in the New Covenant, they shouldn't believe that we need to follow the laws given in the Old Testament.

4. mclawson

mclawson Member

But cherry picking (by both sides) is tradition that dates back to the days when Jesus rode his veliciraptor all over the desert while his 13 disciples (I count Chris Rock) were stuck on ankylosaurs.

5. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

The word homosexual does not appear anywhere in any Bible I've read. What version are you quoting here?

6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

What a vapid post. This is a thread about a ban on gay marriage. How can religion not be a part of the conversation when it is the religious right that most fervently opposes marriage equality? Do you hate fat chicks for being anti-equality? If not, stupid analogy.

Also, good for you, giddyup. Here comes your rep.

7. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

+1

fv santiago, if you're such a proud follower of your religion, and truly have the lord on your side, you won't ignore the questions being posed to you.

the first being: do you believe eating shellfish is an abomination?

answer that question and maybe you'll give people around here a reason to take your faith seriously.

8. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

texxx's e-jizzing duly noted.

ironic that it's over a state vote on one law, but to each their own e-jizzing preferences.

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Well, the people of North Carolina certainly laid a massive egg today. Congrats on passing a redundant amendment that would have affected absolutely nobody that voted in favor of it had it not passed.

And shame on the black voters for voting so poorly on a civil rights issue. 70%. Really? I guess a job-well-done award should go out to the NOM since clearly they targeted the right group for spreading their bigotry and hateful propaganda.

1 person likes this.
  10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

No... won't be there.

I have a friend who's on one of the police forces around here. Last weekend we had Michelle Obama on Friday (?) and Laura Bush on Saturday for local commencement ceremonies. A few days earlier the president had been close by for a visit.

My cop friend says that they have been told to expect the president to be in NC about 50 times between now and the election in November....

11. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

This bill is not about gay rights, NC already bans that, this bill is designed to limit the rights of all unmarried couples. Women can't seek or expect help in abusive relationships. Any unmarried couple are essentially denied any reasonable considerations under the law regarding health care or child custody. I don't think the president will get through this election -- hell, I don't think he gets through this month without taking a stand on this.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

It's time to put to rest the myth that this is a civil rights issue. MLK is rolling over in his grave...

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Why? Civil rights guarantee equal rights under the law. Civil union is recognized for several legal benefits: favorable tax status, rights of visitation, rights of survivorship etc. Why would you deny American citizens the right to peruse life, liberty and happiness? Why would you deny them the right to interpret their own religious beliefs?

What difference would it make to you if two or more citizens entered into a contract for mutual support and shared responsibility ?

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

First off we do have equal rights on this topic: any man can marry a woman, and vice versa. All have that same right.

Secondly, the idea of favorable tax status, visitation, survivorship can be achieved through other means outside of marriage.

they can "peruse" life liberty and happiness all they want!

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

A Christian quoting Leviticus to condemn homosexuality is the funniest thing ever. You cherry pick a portion of Mosiac law that fits your stance and apply that to modern day morality.

I would like to see a Christian quote Leviticus to support a Muslim who honor kills his daughter because she forgot to cover enough of her forehead cleavage in public. Oh wait, that would never happen because any moron can understand that old archaic laws for Jews have no bearing in modern times because we've evolved from the Dark Ages.

Get some new hatemonger material you backwoods hillbilly Bible clenchers.

1 person likes this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Clearly (and I mean it seriously), FV Santiago and his/her ilk reject Christ. You can't cling to the old and new testament with equal fervor and have any sort of consistent faith and moral compass.

I keep wondering if todays radical social (and economic) conservatives want to take us back to the gilded age, or maybe pre-enlightenment, but maybe if you're quoting Leviticus, they seek a before common era timeframe? :eek:

17. Hightop

Hightop Member

End all of that too.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

They hate the liberals so much they just want to completely oppose them in everything possible.

Liberals go forward? Conservatives go backward. They might as well just put it in their campaign slogans.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Modern conservatism is extremism in some way. Hopelessly clinging to the past.

And then we get trolls like Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, bigtexxx, Sarah Palin, etc. I don't think these people actually believe the insanely illogical bull**** that comes out of their mouths (well maybe they do), they've just become so frustrated by their anuses being repeatedly obliterated by the logic of progression that they've resorted to antagonism in which they will make idiotic claims and generalizations to incite reactions because its really the only way they can even stir up a debate anymore.

20. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Nature, nurture or choice.

Let me put it simply. I know it's not a choice.