1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Myth or Fact] "Adelman doesn't develop young players"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Mar 9, 2011.

?

True or False: Adelman doesn't develop young players

1. True (you believe Adelman doesn't develop young player)

22 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. False (you believe he does)

84 vote(s)
    79.2%
  1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Member

Are you being sarcastic in that both coaches develop players similarly or trying to make the point that Adelman develops them better?

If it's latter, I don't see how you can reach that conclusion.

2. BleedRocketsRed

THE NEW TOFs (could even be the old TOFs who think that he is post-surgery Tracy with the #1 jersey and lack of effort).

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its not that Adelman doesn't develop talent, obviously he does. My problem with him is:

1) He doesn't teach the finer points of defense

2) He plays favorites and doesn't really keep track of his own players' progress

What I mean by this is because they're young, players' skill level can go up rather quickly. PP for example was trying to do too much during the summer league. However IMHO he didn't need half a season just to get on the court, Adelman was just too lazy/ignorant to track his progress and realize that, hey, I'm getting destroyed in the front court, maybe I should try out that rookie.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Member

Good list but you forgot Scola.

5. heypartner

heypartner Member

All,
    I guess their is a distinction between "develop" vs "playing time." My use is in the form of a Quote, note. I'm trying to recite a common phrase on the bbs. So don't direct the distinction at me, direct it at people who say "Adelman doesn't develop young players." or "play his rookies."

Which is a clear myth, no matter how you slice it.

Are you talking to me? I am actually defending Adelman, smh. I think he's great with rookies and other young talent.

Haha. I actually struggled with how to word it, based on wanting to use the negative in my thread title, to express what I believe is a myth. I guess I should have continues with "Myth/Fact" vs "True/False"

6. meh

meh Member

Disagree with both points.

1. He has made top 5/top 10 defenses out of a starting lineup that includes Bibby, Peja, and Divac. He made Webber into one of the top defensive bigs in the game.

Adelman's style, which is that he generally let his team dictate the game rather than micromanage, can be construed as not teaching defense when his players decides to slack off a bit. But he can obviously get his players to play defense when he has the right players.

Also, Adelman's OFFENSE includes lots of guards cutting to the basket. This is generally bad for your defense, because they can't get back in transition fast enough. Also Adelman wants our forwards to crash the boards. So you can say that JVG "teaches" defense by making sure we don't cut to the basket, and everyone runs back on D whenever a shot is put up. Yes, that limits transition baskets. That also neuters your offense a great deal. There's a reason why JVG-led offenses are so easy for opponents to deflect even when we had two superstars(Yao in his prime uninjured played at superstar level). It's because the offense does not give players opportunity to shine.

2. This is true with all coaches. It's not like Phil or Pop don't have their favorite guys that they play for no reason other than they just do.

Also, players always say that constant rotation changes HINDERS their play, because they don't have a rhythm. Not to mention that most player improvements come from the offseason, not in-season. Plus you need time to adequately judge players before you can say he suck or not. Adelman may sit guys for long time, but when they come in, they're generally ready to contribute.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Oh definitely NOT directed at you lol I'm just so sick of people on this board blowing TWill up to the point of the next MJ, and bringing everyone down with it. Especially questioning one of the best coaches today's offence system?

I mean are you kidding me, It's just ridiculous a second year player that hasn't shown shet is getting so much credit. It's like Tmac nuthugging all over again, except TWill sucks.

As you stated in the thread, the only example of a rookie not being used by RA is Wallace.

8. red rocketz

red rocketz Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nHH_7zFBesA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

LTF, no sarcasm meant (I usually try to avoid it here).

RE: JVG - I seem to remember younger players just sitting on the bench with little playtime (comparatively speaking against Adelman)....though I suppose in retrospect, perhaps there's less difference between them than I remember.

My impression though is that Adelman does in fact give more playtime to younger/greener players than JVG did back in the day.

10. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

He did a better job at it then Van Gundy that's for sure. If Van Gundy was still on the team when we had Scola in his rookie year, he wouldn't even gotten off the bench, since if you remember, Scola struggled for the first couple months before Hayes got injured and he found his groove. Van Gundy would of never gave him the chance. Same with Brooks and Landry. And don't get me started if he had Bud. Some people might think because he didn't play Gerald Wallace and now T Williams he doesn't know how to develop talent is out of their mind. The reason why he didn't play them is because they don't fit. If you notice all the wings Rick plays during the years, all can shoot the three. Lowry didn't shoot it well when he first got here but he did other things well. T Will is just out of control and low on bball iq.

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Member

Yeah, it's a common sentiment. But I think JVG has the D'Antoni syndrome: they don't like bad rookies.

In the summer that JVG took over, our draft pick was Malick Badiane; the next year we got VSpan; next year Luther Head; and in his final year we got Steve Novak.

JVG didn't exactly have any rookies to develop when you look at it. The only player on that list that still has more than a 10-day contract is Luther Head, who played important minutes for us on a playoff team. JVG didn't even have a first round draft pick in his first two years.

To contrast, Adelman's first year coincided with Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry and Luis Scola joining the team. I really like both coaches, but I think JVG sometimes gets a bad rep for not playing young guys.

12. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

I want T-Will to do well, but that was in garbage time.

I trust Rick Adelman. When he didn't play Steve Francis, we all were unhappy.
    He let Aaron Brooks get more PT.

It turns out that Steve had nothing left. It was confirmed by every team in the NBA waiving him and even a Chinese team!

13. heypartner

heypartner Member

What are you talking about? Hayes never got injured. He played 79 games in Scola's rookie season. What you are confusing is Hayes stopped playing PF, and becoming solely a backup C to Yao. This was due to emergence of Scolandry. This had absolutely NOTHING to do with an injury.

As for what JVG would have done...JVG actually gave Hayes only 22mpg, the year before,and that was forced by injury (Yao only got 48 games). So who would JVG have used in Scola's rookie season as Hayes backup to start the season? Landry? Well, then that would still prove you wrong. He was damn sure going to use Scola in game one.

14. saleem

saleem Member

Your point may be right,but JVG is a micro manager. This makes things harder for the players on the offensive end. They are afraid to learn from their mistakes with JVG. He is a better defensive coach than Rick. Adelman lets youngsters play more freely as long as they don't disrupt the system. At times,Adelman becomes lackadaisical with his substitutions though.

15. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

False, although he has benched more talented young players than Jeff Van Gundy, who is the one that usually gets stuck with this rep.