1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Myth or Fact] "Adelman doesn't develop young players"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Mar 9, 2011.

?

True or False: Adelman doesn't develop young players

1. True (you believe Adelman doesn't develop young player)

22 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. False (you believe he does)

84 vote(s)
    79.2%
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Note the poll, if you want to do it.

Here's a growing list.

Brooks
    Landry
    Budinger
    Patterson
    Hill (plenty of playing time, losing some to Patterson)
    Ish (versus signing a vet temporarily)
    Wafer (never got PT until Rick)

And at Sac:
    2005 -- Kevin Martin

Those are just Rocket's players.

You want more??

2006 -- Francisco Garcia (Rookie, 20mpg)
    2005 -- Kevin Martin, Rookie
    2005 -- Maurice Evans (1yr, not PT Minnesota as a rookie)
    2004 -- Darius Songalia (rookie, 73 games at 13mpg on a 55 win team)
    2001 -- Hedo Turkoglu (rookie, 21yrs old, 17mpg on a 57 win team)
    1999 -- Jason Williams (rookie starting PG)
    1999 -- Peja (21yr rookie, 21mpg)

1998 -- Adelman was not coaching

1997 -- Todd Fuller (rookie, 73 games at 12mpg)
    1996 -- Joe Smith (rookie starter)

1995 -- Adelman was not coaching

1993 -- Tracy Murray (rookie, 10mpg/6ppg, 14 starts)
    1992 -- Robert Pack (rookie, 72game at 12mpg of an NBA Finals team, backing up Terry Porter)
    1990 -- Clifford Robinson (rookie, 82 games at 19mpg on an NBA Finals team)
    1990 -- Drazen (25yr old rookie, played every minute that Drexler didn't...13mpg vs Clydes 36mpg...on an NBA Finals team.

#1 heypartner, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
    2 people like this.
  2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Don't be ridiculous. Don't you know that he let Wallace, Hardaway, and Hedo get away? I'm probably missing some other players here, but those are the ones that comes to mind.

Why would anyone care about the players that flourished under him when we can cherry-pick with Captain Hindsight skills all the ones that got away?

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

Let's not forgot David Andersen. Never played him his rookie season, now he's out scoring almost three points a game for a divison rival.
    Stupid moneyball

4. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

adelman absolutely develops young players.

he plays players with experience and familiarity with his system. it doesn't matter how old you are, if you don't understand rick's philosophy then you aren't going to play. his system is based on ball-movement and if you're interrupting the offensive fluidity the offense falls apart. once you prove your understanding during practice you will get playing time.

an example would be patrick patterson. he was listed as one of the most nba ready rookies coming out of his draft class, but he didn't get any playing time right away. after spending time in the d-league to learn the system (since the vipers incorporate the rocket's philosophy into theirs) he came back up to secure his roll off the bench over hill. hill also has been given plenty of opportunities by adelman for development.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Hardaway??? The dude was a 5 yr vet when Rick became coach...solid in the rotation...28mpg platooner. That was not about developing young talent. Plus he was traded to Miami.

You didn't read my list. He gave Hedo 17mpg as a rookie, 25mpg his 2nd year. He left after 3 yrs because he wanted to start over Peja.

Hedo is a prime example of Adelman playing rookies. You are wrong about that.

And no, I don't think you can find significant examples passed Wallace.

6. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

But...but...he locks up our best player, the squid!

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

"Adelman likes to play the young players, just not the bad young players."

[​IMG]

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Not so clearly disguised Squid thread.

I can't believe there are TWill Only Fans on this board, SMFH... sigh...

9. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Ok debbie downer, how about you name some young players that rick did not play much, that turned out to be some sort of big name contributor?

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

It's hard to really pinpoint someone as "THE" person who developed a player.

Adelman developed Budinger? Chase looked pretty damn good from the moment he stepped onto the court.. and aside from maybe driving a little more, his game hasn't really developed that much.

Lowry has developed a shot this summer.. was it because Adelman was in the gym with him everyday running through shooting drills? Unlikely..

I think the "coach develops players" idea is often overblown.

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I think what develop means is just actually giving the player PT during meaningful times of games, and putting him in situations where he can succeed/hide his weaknesses. The developing in practice is mostly from the assistant coaches and guys like Brett Gunning/Shawn Respert. Also developing also could mean featuring and tailoring the offense to best suit that player, like when Landry was here he was given a lot of ISO moments.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think this is a bad way to look at it. Is it really 'developing' if a guy gets minutes but doesn't learn and doesn't improve? Playing time is just a proxy for an investment in a player's training, and not a very good one. Playing time is valuable, but a rookie can learn and become a better player without seeing the court.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I always hear - JVG doesn't develop young players. RA doesn't develop young guys.

ANd I always laugh. Maybe it's a generational Y thing where young talent is suppose to just be treated like royalty or something but there's three reason why a coach doesn't give a guy PT.

1. He wants to win and there are other guys who contribute more to that ahead of them.

2. They haven't shown enough in practice to warrant PT (learning the system, showing consistency, etc)

3. They want the player "to earn it" as a motivational technique

Guess what - there is other ways to develop players besides PT.

1 person likes this.
  14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

True or False: could you have not made the poll any more confusing (you think it could be more confusing)

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Adelman and Drazen, somewhat famously, did not pan out well. It's one thing to look at the stats, but Drazen had a difficult time getting significant run as a rookie, and was ultimately traded to the Nets his sophomore season.

Adelman does develop/play rookies, but no coach is perfect in that regard, as it is always a battle of trying to win through minimizing mistakes (which rookies, regardless of talent, don't usually do) vs. getting the talent out there.

16. k-money

k-money Member

i recall wafer playing garbage time on a road trip when we were blown out by toronto. ( the game t-mac "gave up". ) he played well so he played him for the rest of the year. so i dont call that developing.

17. Prince

Prince Member

Stop the hating....

18. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

You beat me to it, was going to say much the same thing.

Anyone remember JVG and young players? There's no comparison between the two coaches, IMO. :rolleyes:

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

To me, there is no substitute for game time situations. I agree a player can improve in practice and watching games, but you never know until you put that player in real game time situations and see how they react. For all we know Twill could be a practice freak and is actually paying attention during game time on the bench, but if he flops when given PT during game time, then the coach can adjust his minutes and matchups he's given and the coaching staff/developmental coaches can know what things he needs to work on inbetween games.

20. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

This is true, but wouldn't you agree that after a certain point, there's no substitute for real life experience? After a while of practice and training, a player has to be placed in a game to get the feel of real NBA basketball, and allowed to play out or play through mistakes and learn.

Having said that, I surely wish we would ship Hill to the Vipers and let him do his learning there.....