1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Myth Busters] Comparisons and Analysis on Montrezl Harrell's Measurements

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jun 28, 2015.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

I like everything I hear about Harrell and I'm sure he'll be a fine asset for the Vipers for the next couple of years.

2. Rokman

Rokman Member

Does anyone have a goof comparison of Harrell 's college stats to Faried's? I don't have good access right now.

3. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

4. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you look at other players' measurements, most of them will increase their height from high school to college. For men, your plates can close up anytime from 18-22, so it's probably not an error in measurement.

It is very interesting that he only gained 0.5 in w/ shoes, as most players gain 0.75 - 1.5 inches, but he may have been wearing very thin shoes. As you pointed out the other end where Cole Aldrich wore high heels and gained 2.25 inches.

These measurements are unlikely to be wrong though, as they are checked by multiple people and can affect a players value.

5. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

The measurements are all taken from Draft Express.

My guess is that AD has wider shoulders and a longer neck. Even though AD is skinny, analysts said he could put on at least 25-30 pounds due to his frame/shoulders. Of course, I'm not 100% sure, but it's just my guess.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

OP? Why did you leave Clint Capela's stats out? All his measurements are same or better than Harrell.

Clint Capela

2014 Hoop Summit
    Height w/o Shoes 6' 9.5"
    Height w/Shoes 6' 11"
    Wingspan 7' 4.5"
    Reach 9' 2.5"

Too bad Clint isn't shorter, because we can't play small ball with him like we can Harrell. :rolleyes:

7. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

They can be of whatever height. Just agile for defensive purposes, and skilled for offensive.

KG in today's era would still thrive at the four.

8. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Heypartner, I left Capela's out because he's a center; not PF. Capela has great length, no doubt.

Sorry, what is your point posting this though?

Edit - I think you're implying that people think teams won't draft "bigger" centers anymore due to their inability to play "small ball". I'm not sure where you got that from, because I never said anything about bigger centers being inadequate. I was just pointing out that we can match up with Golden State or other teams that play small ball if we need with Harrell at center, but only during those times.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sorry, was thrown off because you mentioned Greg Monroe (a C until Detroit went twin towers with Drummond), and Dorsey (always a backup C).

btw: GSW primarily want to play Bogut, so that isn't small ball. We can say they do small ball as a second unit or against Lebron, apparently. But sitting Bogut is not their primary objective. GSW doesn't go small ball anymore than many other teams (like the Rockets) who do so as a second unit. This strategy to not play backup Cs is nothing new to this era.

Not sure how the media is advancing this idea that the NBA is small ball now. What happens is every champion becomes an example of what the NBA is. Last year it was team ball. Before that for like 5 years it was you had to have a Big Three. Before that ... you needed the best player on the court, and so on.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I've seen more than a few people suggest that this guy could be our Draymond Green, like those guys are so easy to find.

11. ironariza

ironariza Member

u r right.

I doubt his height too, I think he did some tricky things

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Get him some of these and we're gold...

[​IMG]

13. NotChandlerParsons

I could use some of those...

14. Raven

Raven Member

Summer League can't start soon enough.

15. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Looks great but can he put the ball in the basket consistently with a jump shot. If you can't shoot we don't need you. We already have enough non shooters at the 4 spot...

16. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Oh okay, I see what you mean. I just put Dorsey out there because he was capable of guarding Cs, so Harrell with better length could guard PFs.

I do agree with you on the media and their small ball narrative. It's not that GS just loves to play small ball so much, but it's just that their best 5 players given the situation was with Iggy on the floor. Bogut was an elite defender, but him and Green both couldn't shoot, so spacing was horrible.

In general, I feel that it's still a big man's league, but we just don't have that many good big men out there. If Cousins was on the Warriors, you can bet that he'll be playing 35 minutes per game.