1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mystery Priest performs miracle in Missouri

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScolaIsBallin, Aug 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's just something I'll never understand. I can imagine being in Moore, OK, as I'm looking at my destroyed house and greiving over my dead kid. What would I think if I hear someone say "God is great" because their kid made it and their house didn't have any damage? To me, it's just a trite phrase that is honestly used very unsympathetically at times.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I will accept this. :eek: Well said.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Glad that was resolved, kudos to the priest for doing what journalists seemed unwilling or unable to do. Doesn't negate the fallacy of miracles or the dubiousness of the story as originally reported, and as originally posted in a less reputable news service.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Completely agreed. Many of my favorite parts of the Bible are the ones where the speaker is angry with God asking him where in the hell he is given all the crap that's going on. Or Jesus, himself, on the cross asking God why he abandoned him. There's an honesty about that which I really appreciate.

5. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

great story, uplifting indeed.

but what was the miracle that was performed?

6. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I still don't understand Job. :eek:

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

All you've done here is falsely attribute insecurity to a lack of belief in a specific religious concept, attack people for taking a particular side in a forum debate, and dishonestly conflate disbelief in angels and miracles with a lack of compassion for accident victims. Like all the dreadful threads and rancid offensive comments you post about interracial dating and other topics, you demonstrate once again you're only capable of insults and hyperbole.

8. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Doesn't scientific law require observation as well as experimentation? Can you OBSERVE evolution? No, not in a human life time scale. So in essence some science DOES require faith. Yes, science most definitely takes faith.

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

If you are that secure of anything you believe in, there is no need to go after different mindsets with the disdain that you plainly show. Oh you feel insulted i called you a douche for being so condescending? Sorry to have spoiled the 2 pages of pleasure you got out of being a condescending dick.

10. oelman44

oelman44 Member

After reading through this thread

[​IMG]

Now I remember why I never visit the D&D

11. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly. This is why we cant hav nice things

12. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

One that most of us can agree on is that this thread was somehow kept in the hangout and wasn't sent to the D&D. My only guess is that more people needed to read this thread for one reason or another, as you said, this is a great story...;)

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Record keeping,fossil record, youtube

14. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Religion is ****ing funny. If something good happen they all think it's the work of GOD and praising GOD. But when **** happens they are all quiet.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Your problem is that I have and express a differing point of view which you falsely attribute to insecurity. True to form, you've had two posts in this thread; no arguments of any kind, just insults.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If you are that secure of anything you believe in, there is no need to go after different mindsets with the disdain that you plainly show.

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Do you watch, listen to, or read any comedy TV, books, movies, etc.? :cool:

18. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Please let me know where this planet is so that I can invest in a dental clinic there.

1 person likes this.
  19. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

err, yes... :confused:

20. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I had a grandmother (raised in a Catholic orphange, became Lutheran because of my grandfather) who had an extremely supserstitious belief in a very active God in her daily life. My grandmother had a nightmarish childhood as an orphan in Depression-Era Chicago, and I'm sure her faith was the painkiller for some serious psychological trauma that was left untreated.

When I was young I dismissed it as harmless, but as she got older, it became more and more outrageous. She'd spin out of control on a freeway in a flash flood and tell the police that angels lifted her car and turned it to avoid hitting another car. Angels would remind her to feed her dog, and prayers would always be rewarded with action.

When I'd tell her about things like my father abusing his girlfriend, she'd look me in the eye and tell me that all problems could be fixed with prayer. No reason to actually take any actions in life -- God would fix everything. Just pray. I found that to be extremely irresponsible. She dispensed bad advice to people and encouraged a complete outsourcing of all responsibility to a God that "works in mysterious ways." It wasn't just nutty -- it was absolutely unethical.

Obviously not every religious person is that simplistic and superstitious about their faith, but I have very little patience for magic, be it religious or palmistry or astrology or any other kind of irrational nonsense. I understand that religious officiaries play a positive rolein the lives of their parishoners, but if it was up to me, I'd require that every rabbi, priest and imman take at least an Associates degree in social work so that they are actually qualified experts in people's domestic problems.