1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

My thoughts on trading up to near the top of the draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jun 4, 2010.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

It takes alot to get there. I mean the seattl franchise got the 5 for ray allen and dallas got the 5 for jamison. To say we have anyone like that to get there is not really fair.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Sixers GM is saying that it would take a blockbuster deal to get them to deal the #2 pick. Do the Rockets have that kind of deal? Actually, do the Rockets have enough to get #2 and #3? I say we do.

3. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I think the Rox could do it, but could they do it without reaching?

Besides, if we go for #2 and #3, we might as well trade Yao, because he'll be permanently on crutches before we get ready to go for the title.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I've said it once before, we don't need Yao anymore. IMO, he is one more injury away from retirement. Alas, i don't think they would have to go that far. I feel that they should use Aaron Brooks, while his value is so high, in a blockbuster trade. Swap Brooks, Ariza and future picks for Devin Harris and the #3. Maybe throw Bud to sweeten the deal. Or, instead of Brooks, s&t Lowry. I think Lowry would do it because with the loss of Harris he would become the new starting PG for the Nets. Then they could use Hill + #14 and cash to get Randolph and the #6.

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

What? Why? Because his team sucks year after year and gets lottery picks because of it? Because he took Johnny Flynn ahead of Steph Curry, Brandon Jennings, Jordan Hill, etc. last year? You don't know what you're talking about -- Khan is an idiot.

There's no point in us collecting draft picks unless we're rebuilding. And with Kevin Martin, Aaron Brooks, Luis Scola and others, there's no point in us rebuilding. We have a team filled with good to great role players -- we don't need multiple draft picks, all we need is one star (which can be had with only ONE draft pick).

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Never said anything about rebuilding. My whole stance is the Rockets have players who are in their late 20's with the youngest in that group being 25(Brooks). We have injury prone players who could go at anytime. With this draft being so deep, now would be the time to get Yao's, Battier's and Scola's future replacements. At least as 2-3 year projects. By the way, do you know what Khan's first rd picks become in another year or two, assets for free agent signings. This draft has already been projected as being better than next years because of the CBA. IMO, with a decent big man, we already have a contention ready team. We should draft as many 1st rd picks as possible to groom for our future.

7. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I'm not far from agreeing with this.

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Draft picks that are bust do not suddenly become assets for SnT's in two to three years. If you had asked Khan why he drafted Flynn, etc, he wouldn't say it was because he was planning on trading them in two years. Rubio wanted no part of Minnesota, yet he took him anyways... and then refused to trade him. The result? Rubio decides to skip the NBA for the next two years and the Minnesota franchise falls further down the drain.

As far as the Rockets, it just doesn't make sense to stock up on draft picks if we're not rebuilding. If you replaced Battier, Ariza, Scola all with 1st round picks, we would again be in the lottery next year and probably have an even worse record. That plan may pay dividends three years from now -- but you're essentially giving up our present for an unknown three year future. Maybe you are, but I'm not ready to rebuild.. yet.

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

And Minny got the #5 last year for Randy Foye and Mike Miller. We've got that, at least. The only question is whether there's a team out there dumb enough to do that again.

10. leebigez

Why would nj do that? Harris is a good player when healthy, they have lopez who is a stud and they have a top 5 pick in which they can select facors plus they have a boatload of money and a coach like avery. They will be a playoff team next year to me.

11. leebigez

To be fair, people are still using the potential tag on foye who was a top 10 pick and it was a dumb trade. Dumb trades do happen, but last years draft was guard heavy vs big man heavy this year.

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The Celtics traded the #6 pick for Sebastian Telfair, who was not a top ten pick. And Telfair didn't have the potential tag on him, as he was exposed as a small PG that couldn't shoot or play defense on two different teams by that point. We traded the #8 pick for Shane Battier that same year, who was anti-potential. I'd say dumb trades happen more often than not.

13. leebigez

You aint lying about that and its certain teams too. First off, sebastian got a promise from portland when he would have fell to wherever they wanted. Giving up the 6 for him was even dumber. I know this, when thte draft is filled with talented bigs, teams tend to stay put. When there are alot of small guys, it fluctuates. I'm not saying the rockets cant get into the top 5, i think with the talent in the top 10, its going to be difficult.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No, not replace them now. Future replacements. Just get them on the team to groom for replacement of our aging stars. We still need this core to contend with next year.

15. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Lee, Speaking of talented bigs, I've read where several playoff teams like the Celtics, Spurs, Thunder, Heat and especially the Blazers are all showing interest in Soloman Alabi. I see him moving up as we get closer towards the draft.

16. leebigez

I really like the kid and those who are saying 14 is too high are wrong. I watched about 10 games of coaches tape on the kid and he's going to be a good player sooner than it was first projected. He's a true center in every sense of the word. He's a defensive presence already, is long, a high bbiq and shoots 80% from the free throw line. His mid range jumper looks fluid and his jump hooks are ok too. If those teams, especially the celts,spurs,thunder and heat get the guy, he's going to be pretty good. If he goes to the spurs, that going to be a huge problem in rocket land.

17. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree. I like the kid as well. I haven't seen him on film like you have, but in some of the clips he seems as if he's got a nice BBIQ. I believe FSU had the best defense in college this last season due alot to Alabi's presence. Would do back flips if the rockets would pick him, I love his length.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yes, I would not trade Cbud for either Favors or Cousins.

DD

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

what about for john wall?

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You don't mean that. Stop playing around DD. :rolleyes: