1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My thoughts on trading up to near the top of the draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jun 4, 2010.

1. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Very slim? I think we have at least a 25% shot, which is worth taking. As far as S&T'ing being "very difficult," I think we can easily make that part happen, once Bosh agrees that he wants to come here.

2. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The trades/FAs of Artest, Allen, Garnett and Wallace were all on the downside of their careers. The only 'build around' players, Kobe and Pierce were drafted. The potential buildarounds are Rondo and Bynum which are also draft picks. Is that just agreeing with what you said?

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Where did you see that whiteside have attitude problems? Aldrich isn't even on my radar. I do like favors and monroe, but i wonder about a guy like monroe. He's probably better suited at center if thats who they're going to get. Witht the right center , he can play pf.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What about Udoh?

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

It's been reported in a few different places that Whiteside has attitude problems. I like Aldrich, but I like him more as a Pryzbilla type than a future star. For those wanting to swing for the fences, I doubt Aldrich would be their pick. Monroe certainly seems to be the most complete of the centers, but his lack of athleticism is the red flag that I keep seeing. I'd love him as a PF.. but if he isn't athletic enough to handle the position, you have to play him as a Center.

6. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I don't understand the athleticism concerns people have on Greg Monroe. No he can't jump like a Dwight Howard, but the guy can run the court extremely well, and is extremely mobile with good conditioning. Not to mention his a legit 6'11 and skilled.

Also ... "he isn't athletic enough to handle the (PF)position" come on dude, Luis Scola can sure handle it, and Monroe is sure as hell more athletic than Luis(no offense to Luis of course)...

--RB

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I know you don't want to be troubled with stats but...brooks is 2nd to last in assists per game for pgs playing over 30 mpg. Beno is the one behind him but him and beno are tied in assists per 36. So he is pretty much dead last.

not good for a pg.

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I don't think Monroe is noticeably more athletic than Scola -- you're selling Luis short here!

I'm not basing this on my keen eye, but from all the reports I've seen about him. They all say the same thing: athleticism at the next level is a big question mark.

That said, he measured in as being taller than I would think -- a big plus for him at the center position.

9. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

No Im not selling Luis Short. I just think Monroe's is being seriously underrated by many scouts, who think having a high vertical is all there is to athleticism ... SMH

They're not taking into account his ability to run the court and his high endurance. Not to mention he has a really quick first step of the dribble for a 6'11 guy.

With that said I think he would mesh perfectly with Jordan Hill(PF) of the bench(if we move up to draft him), by playing the back up center position. The combination of Monroe skill's and Jordan's Athleticism would be sick.

--RB

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You could take those 4 and probably do 3 different trades. I would target Minny#4 or #16, Memphis(#12) and G. State(#6). Target Minny and Memphis because they each have 3 1st rd. picks and probably,probably would not require us to give up the 14th.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

That's 'cause the Adelman system isn't run through the pg. If you look at stats you'll see that a significant portion of AB's shots were assisted. This should tell you that someone else gets to create with the ball so naturally his assists would be lower.

Apg don't really hold that much water when evaluating players overall. Being dead last Conley Jr. has a higher apg than Brooks, however can you assume that Conley Jr. is a better pg than Brooks?

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why do you want to sacrifice our players for more picks in just one draft? This draft has a lot of big men but it isn't LBJ's draft. Apart from Wall, I actually don't see anyone with superstar potential.

Anybody who thinks giving up the 14th and Hill/C-bud/Brooks for one of the riskiest players in Cousins is insane. if cousins bust you didn't just waste a lottery pick, you also got rid of one of our core players.

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Congratulations! you are one of the few who can see the historic mistake and are willing to comment on it. :p

DD Brooks is a pass second Point Guard!!! No debate!!!
    I just hope that with sufficient coaching & practice he can change this way of playing. :p

#93 Yetti, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

And this is wrong why? Was Fisher wrong when he was hitting shots that won LA a game or two? Was Bibby wrong when he was hitting the clutch shots for the Kings? How about when Billups won Finals MVP for Detroit? Parker? The list just goes on and on...

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I am not looking to this draft to get a superstar. What intrigues me the most about this draft is its abundance in great quality role player types. If you can't see the talent past Wall, that means that you are not looking hard enough. Players like Evan Turner, Cousins, Monroe, Henry and Favors are equal if not better in talent at thier respective positions. After doing decent, not great, research i have concluded that it would benefit us greatly to take full advantage of the draft. There are good players all the way into the 50's that are considered good role players. We have everything we need to have a very successful draft. As i mentioned in another post, the CBA has created a very lucrative opportunity for us and it has been mentioned by many that we are in as good a position as any to come off big in the off-season in one way or another. The Bosh thing imo is way overblown. IMO, Scola cancels out Bosh and D. Lee. They are not necessities. What is needed is size in the post. Now i am not saying that i would only take Cousins. As a matter of fact i would probably take Monroe.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If i said it once, i'll say it again. Losing Brooks will not hurt this team.

17. spressa

spressa Member

you lost credibility when you wrote that.

multiple allstars, multiple all nba teams, led the league in rebounding

career avg. of 21/10/4/1.5/1.5

avg-ed 20/10 after microfacture......

18. spressa

spressa Member

webber that is.....

19. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From Feigen's blog :
    And finally, with no further ado, our latest mock draft.

20. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I read where the Spurs (who are not stupid in evaluating talent) are trying to move up from #20 to #10 and pick Ed Davis. You gotta figure Morey's trying to move up as well. Oh, if Adelman had just sat Scola and the rest of the veterans at the end of the season to develop the rockets youth, they would be picking near that area.