1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My thoughts on trading up to near the top of the draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jun 4, 2010.

1. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

As long as AB is the starting pg on the rox none of the young bucks will ever reach their full potential with the ball in his hands. He'll try to get his first and foremost then worry about the others. Did you people learn anything from the Steve Francis era?

2. jedicro

jedicro Member

In order for Morey to have moving up in the draft as Plan C behind getting Bosh and Stoudemire, he'll need one of these:

[​IMG]

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Plan C - Draft Night: Trade up and draft a top prospect. Let's call him Player C.
    Plan A - FA starts: If Bosh wants to come here, give Toronto Player C and stuff for Bosh
    Plan B - FA continues: If Bosh doesn't want to come and Amare does, give Phoenix Player C and stuff for Amare
    Plan C - Neither Bosh nor Amare comes here. Holy Crap! Plan C's already done!

Morey is a freaking wizard. You think such small matter such as time-travel is beyond him? :)

4. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

this is exactly what we need to do. we cant control bosh or amare coming here. but we can control getting a top prospet, to a certain degree. this would be a great preemptive backup plan.

5. htownplaya

htownplaya Member

The "young bucks" that you're talking about are all bench players, so they don't even play with Brooks, rather lowry instead. By the time AB gets back in, the young players sit back down as the starting lineup checks back in. So I don't believe he is stunting the potential of the other players at all.

6. jedicro

jedicro Member

Or he could just do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCsHTNP2MaU&feature=related

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

That is just not true, AB is a very willing passer, how many points did Martin average with AB at the point?

Bad comparison is bad.

DD

8. htownplaya

htownplaya Member

Who has more potential, Jordan Hill or Aaron Brooks?

9. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

It looks like getting Rubio for next year is out of the question.

10. htownplaya

htownplaya Member

Obviosuly.it's just been reported on ESPN that rubio will stay overseas until at least the 2011-2012 season.

11. htownplaya

htownplaya Member

In fact, here's the link to the story: http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=5252905

12. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Jordan -- pick #3
    Johnson -- pick #1
    Hakeem -- pick #1
    Bryant -- pick #13
    Bird -- pick #6
    Russell -- pick #2
    Tim Duncan -- pick #1

i just looked this up, because i didn't know.
    nothing particular to prove or disprove.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Just my personal opinion, but I'd rather just draft a big we can develop in the draft, see how yao progress is coming along and make my neccessary move after the season. I like a few guys in this years draft, but it could be like the kwame brown draft. The guy picked at 14 might have just as big of an upside as the guy chosen top 5.

14. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

In order of big men:

I like Favors and Monroe a lot. I think Cole Aldrich and to a lesser extent, Davis and Patterson are solid players. Just say no to Cousins or Whiteside please, I don't care how much talent you have, severe attitude problems are always going to be deal breakers in my book.

15. pacmania

pacmania Member

He was retired but very influential in recommending his successor chris wallace. it is more likely than not that he used his " sphere of influence". As they say most people get a job because someone recommended them.

That deal was so lopsided it definitely shifted the balance of power in favor of LA.
    And Kevin Garnett was demanding to be traded because of a lack of supporting cast. Instead of building a supporting cast around him, Kevin Mchale ships him to Boston. Almost all of the superstars at one point demand to be traded because of a lack of supporting talent. Lebron, Kobe, etc. all demanded to be traded, most GMs would try to appease them by acquiring good players, whatever to keep the franchise intact.

Kevin Mchale decided it was better to ship their premier franchise player to his former team.Hindsight shows it was a very bad move.

16. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

They always say such stuff until the actual 'bye now.'

The point is to keep the locals happy as long as they're there.

Wasn't the word that Scola wasn't coming to the NBA, right up until we got him?

17. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Say, could you or any of the other Jordan Hill skeptics do me one favor, and compare him to Joey Dorsey, or another ho-hum rookie big? I'm wondering if maybe we just look at things differently.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOLwut? Mchale's KG trade was a great move for Minny. They ripped of Boston, its just that Boston was up to its ears in talent due to sucking so long that they still ended up with Allen, Rondo and Perkins.

Both the drafting of KG and the trading of KG was Mchale's best moves. It just doesn't look that way because the new dude Kahn is terrible in his own right as well. He traded so much (mike miller, received bad contracts, that other sg they had) just for the rights to negotiate with Rubio 2 years from the draft. He also didn't trade Jefferson when his value was white hot and might have to pay him a lot of dough this coming season.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Wasn't he staying there his contract had a ridiculous buyout amount, and due to contract rules Minny can't contribute even a dollar to pay it off?

Rubio himself said that if he was taken top 3, he would have been able to use the money to buy himself out. As it is though, he'll be staying there until his current contract expires.

Scola was a different matter, he was actually a FA at the time.

20. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

The Rockets have a better chance of netting a superstar talent by drafting them more than trading for one. The chances of landing Bosh is very slim. So the next best thing is to trade up in the picks to draft a superstar talent. Most superstars are drafted, rarely are traded.

The superstars in the league today are very few. The chances of prying them from another team or signing them through free agency is incredibly slim to none. No teams would trade their Roy, Kobe etc. Expecting to sign a big name is hard for Houston because not many free agents would choose Houston as their destination. Getting Chris Bosh in a sign and trade is very difficult. So don't expect Bosh to be wearing the Houston red next season.

So the only thing Houston has a best shot at is to trade up to draft a big talent and hoping he will turn into the player we hope he will become. Lets say if we can get Philly's 2nd pick but having to take Brand's contract back is a big risk but it will be worth it down the road. Sure his contract is ridiculous, but who say taking the 2nd pick from another team wouldn't come with a price, and this one would be a big price tag. But chances like this doesn't come easily, and if the Rockets have a chance to get the 2nd pick along with Brand's contract, it is well worth it.