1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My thoughts on trading up to near the top of the draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jun 4, 2010.

1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What DD is really trying to say is.... If it ain't white... It ain't right...

I kid I kid

;)

2. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Plan A the Draft June 24th
    Plan B Free agents July 1st.

Plan A of course could effect what we are going to do in plan B. For example we could be drafting for Toronto in our bid to gain Bosh! :p

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Thread rating Genius !

DD

4. choujie

choujie Member

Why? There is nothing wrong to say a 25 year old who has been in the system only 1 year has room to improve.

5. choujie

choujie Member

LOL, my bad.

But anyway, it's safer to bet on Yao's foot than to bet on AB/Jordan/Cbud to become legit stars.

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I don't think it matters if it's the offseason or the all-star break. Morey already used the ASB to steal Martin and two picks off of NYK. The next logical time for other teams to loosen up on trades is in this offseason.

As far as this offseason being different, I think it can only help the Rockets that so many teams are looking to wheel and deal this year. More free agents + more salary cap space from other teams = more volatility, and Morey has shown us that he thrives in an environment of increased chaos (remember the '08 draft where he made three trades in the span of fifteen minutes to get Greene and 2 2nd round picks? that was balla). While we will be sitting out the majority of the free agent bidding wars, it doesn't mean we won't be negotiating with most teams as soon as their rosters have solidifed with new pieces and old ones become redundant.

The 2010 offseason's gonna be like one big garage sale imo. Morey will be spending months flying around the place looking to trade his current assets into more valuable ones until we hit the jackpot by cashing in all our shiny antiques for a dusty Holy Grail. Or magic lantern. Whatever, I'm done. Too much hyperbole for one day.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I concede that we are already betting on his foot......

As for the rest, which is more risky betting on players that are just in their NBA careers and are already successful and getting better, or on college players that are just coming into the league?

DD

8. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I agree with DD and others that Hill has the most potential, if only because he is more unknown than AB. I think AB has the most chance to become a frequent All-Star, because he is a lot closer to that point than is Hill.

9. choujie

choujie Member

Which is more risky betting on AB in his 3rd year or betting on Lebron/Carmero/Durant/Rose etc. before they entered the draft?

10. choujie

choujie Member

Which is more risky betting on AB in his 3rd year or betting on Lebron/Carmero/Durant/Rose etc. before they entered the draft?

You don't bet on a 14th pick, but take a top 3 pick over AB should be a no brainer. The reward should exceeds risk by a fair margin, especially when DM is the GM.

11. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

I would be happy with plan B, but didn't he not come here just because he didn't want to sign an extension with us? What is the difference between now and Jan.? The fact we didn't make the playoffs?

I understand everyone has these elaborate plans to go after certain guys, but a lot of us need to be realistic and look at a different perspective, Bosh and Amare don't want to come here, so why put them as Plan A & B when it's not likely?

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We decided not to do the trade for Amare because he might not have signed an extension with us. Who knows what he would have done.

Truthfully, we don't know what are chances of getting Bosh and Amare are. Even if they are leaning towards signing elsewhere now, they can always change their mind. Something might convince them.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

On Gasol, well, if you know if CD ever become another team's GM, you can have him give us an all-star too.

On Billups. He was signed by Detroit as a FA. Not via trade. Of course, that's besides the point, because he was available. But he was hardly proven at the time of his signing, being only a replacement starter who blew up for half a season. In the minds of many fans and "experts" out there, Billups was an unproven commodity when he hit the market.

Actually, Billups is the only FA I can recall who ended up being worth far more than his FA contract. They are definitely exceedingly rare. And I believe he's somewhat irrelevant to this topic. How many Billups have become FA since Morey took over? Just because there was an under-the-radar FA that everyone missed, doesn't mean one's available every year.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Interesting points. I did not take into account the massive influx of high school and underclassmen since 20 years ago. But has that really effected top picks? I think when you're talking about the very top picks, unless they're drafted by the likes of MJ or Baylor, they still are fairly solid. I think the younger prospects affects more of the later picks, because teams have to make a huge gamble on potential vs production. i.e. Whiteside may be a huge risk, but Monroe/Favors would not be.

As for Oden, I think that has to do with the Portland medical staff more than their scouting department. If you watch Oden play when he's not injured, you really could see a glimpse of Dream in his early years. Also, Oden unfortunately plays in an era where big men get gazillion tick-tack fouls because they dare stand in front of guards flailing into the paint.

Without the injuries, I think Oden/Durant turns out more like Hakeem/Jordan than Bowie/Jordan.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The Rockets have ridiculous depth and now proven stars are never available via trades. Before you were extolling the virtue of building winning teams with second round picks and depth, how you'd rather have the 42-30 Rockets instead of the 25 year old TMac/Yao version, and now you're talking about how important it is to have great talent. Which is it gonna be man? My goodness.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Oden has worse offensive skills than Dwight Howard and he's roundly trashed for his offensive ability. Now Oden without the injuries is going to be like Hakeem? Oh man...

Just say no to drugs.

17. pacmania

pacmania Member

I hate to be repetitive but it is my submission that some of the trades LA and Boston did were not arms length transactions, particularly the Gasol trade.

The statement still holds true that superstars are rarely available except if you have an insider on the opposing team.

For example, Jerry West was the general manager of the grizzlies and more likely than not used his sphere of influence to orchestrate Pao Gasol's trade to LA in exchange for Kwame brown package.
    During Game 1, they showed Jerry West watching the LA Boston final and he had this wry smile on his face.
    Likewise, Kevin Mchale was the general manager that decided to send Kevin Garnett to boston , his former team.

Kevin Mchale and Danny Ainge negotiating for a franchise player to come to their former team, at that time Garnett was at his peak.

I agree that former players becoming GMs has proven to be a failure but other teams have failed to realize this. On the other hand, our genius Daryl Morey continues to do wonders for our team.

18. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

What potential are you guys seeing in Hill? He showed very little offensive game in the time we had him, though he was active on the boards. Hill didn't show me enough offensive ability to ever make me think he'll develop into a star in this league. When I see him, I think of an Anderson Varejao impact -- a solid player, but far cry from a legitimate all-star.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Morey is still stinging from last off-seasons leftovers deal for David Anderson. He will be looking to draft a legitimate center. I think hes looking for Cousins or Monroe.

20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

West actually did not initiate the Gasol deal, he was already retired.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Wallace_(NBA_general_manager)

I thought their owner had more to do with that deal than anything else, though the deal even to this day looks silly. They could've almost raided Chicago with Gasol.