1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My thoughts on trading up to near the top of the draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jun 4, 2010.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Michael Jordan -Draft
    Magic Johnson - Draft
    Hakeem Olajuwon- Draft
    Kobe Bryant- Draft
    Larry Bird - Draft
    Bill Russell- Draft
    Tim Duncan- Draft

-Championship teams can be made up of good players from trades and Free agency but the true icons of the sport have almost all been with one team during their glory years and were drafted by that team.

If the Rockets want to aquire a Free agent that is an all-star that is great and maybe we compete for a championship, but can you see any of the available free agents ever reaching the status of anyone near that list above? Maybe Lebron, but he would only make it to that list if he won with Cleveland IMO.

I say the Rockets need to trust Morey and his staff to get the player they want in the draft if they can get them and if not compile the best available team with the assets you have through trade or FA. I trust Morey that if he sees superstar potential in the draft he will do what he can to get them in a Rockets uniform for years to come.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

That alone doesn't mean anything because it doesn't really say anything.

Suppose our scouts graded out the following.

4 players with 95+ scores.
    20 players with 80+ scores.

That would be a very deep draft. But it also would be a draft where getting a top 4 pick is very useful. Morey could very well have both a trade up and a trade down scenario. If we can't get that can't-miss star prospect, then indeed, given the depth of the draft, Morey can move back.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Kobe was traded for Vlad Divac, right?

Either way, he was acquired on draft night.

The problem is that you have about what a 33% chance that one of the players you draft turns into that star player?

What about Yao, was or is he a superstar?

I think you have about as much chance of getting a great player in trade as you do in the top 5 picks of the draft.

Personally there is more than one way to skin a cat......and if there was a true superstar you could get in the draft then try....but who from this draft fits that bill?

DD

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Mr. Gasol and Mr. Billups would like to have a word with you.

I would agree with this, though. With Morey at the helm, a top 5 or 6 draft pick is as close to a sure thing as we'll get if Bosh goes elsewhere. Waiting for that talent to develop is another matter, because Yao ain't gettin' any younger.

5. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

I would have to agree with DaDakota on a lot of things. Some of you are trying to put words in his mouth. He's just saying that there is no point in taking a risk that has a higher chance of not panning out. Beaubois to Tony Parker? lol I don't think you realize how high Hill's ceiling actually is. Maybe you just can't see potential when its right in front of you. I think you're giving the draft players a little too much credit. Keep in mind Hill was the 8th pick. Give him a few more years and then you can say "I told you so" or whatever... However, I'm not saying we shouldn't trade the players yall mentioned, just dont throw em away. Obviously we'd trade Bud for Turner, thats just a stupid question... Anyway, I see your perspective but everybody on here needs to stop attacking DD on this. He made a reasonable statement and didn't say anything about what we should or shouldn't do... just stating his thoughts

6. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

Valid point, but I think in the situation of our team now, we have a max contract player who only has a few years left in his prime, so the real question is, should we trade up for a rookie player to make sure when Yao retires we still will be alright? Or should we go in win now mode?

I am for trading up, just because I don't think there is much talent in this free agent class (realistic guys that will come to houston, so I excluded all the big time players minus Bosh, and I still view bosh as overrated)

7. herro

herro Member

Ariza hasn't peaked.

8. Raven

Raven Member

I think the Rockets are offering cash to trade up, not talent. That would take the sting out of the pick being a bust, because you're not really giving up much.

Draft day can't get here soon enough!

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

If they are offering cash and the 14th pick and maybe the Knicks picks..then heck yes.

DD

10. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With Morey, you just don't know what he's going to do. That's what I like about him.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It's fun to talk about the past when you are lacking in news for the future, but honestly it's the job of people like Morey to buck the old trends and pave the way for a new style of going about business and winning championships in that manner.

History will never repeat itself exactly the way it used to be. In the same manner it's extremely short-sighted to say "the only way for us to win a championship is to acquire a superstars via the draft" no matter how true it may have been in the past. You don't just stop going after trades for guys like Bosh or Chris Paul because of this. The Lakers would never have gotten Gasol had they not placed themselves in the right position to catch such a break. As a Rockets fan I still feel optimistic about winning and winning now, because Morey has placed us in the perfect spot to receive just a similar break this offseason.

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I wonder when most of the big pieces were acquired, was it during the season as Gasol was, or in the offseason as Shaq was?

Is there more player movement via trade in or out of season, and this season may be different than others because of all the free agents available.

DD

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so you're saying he is a
    [​IMG]

14. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

I can see why you'd think that from what I said, but I really don't think they've peaked, I just don't see thier peak being at the all star level. Well, I think Brooks is pretty much at or near his peak.

I do think there will be improvement in these players, and I can easily see us contending next year as is, but the only player on the Rockets current roster who's going to be wearing an all-star jersey next year is Yao.

Granted, I didn't think Landry or Brooks were going to get to the level they are now either.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree the most common way of getting superstars is through the draft. In fact, the "superstar" definition is a bit too liberal here, imo. If you limit superstars to "top 5 players" then the only superstars I can think of that changed teams in their prime in recent years:
    Shaq
    Kidd
    McGrady
    Nash
    Did I miss anyone?

In this draft, I can envision two guys who will be a top 5 player: Wall and Turner. All the other guys are sort of iffy (not saying that they won't). That's why Philly's #2 pick is so intriguing to me. I think it is worth swallowing Brand's terrible contract.

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

To me Hill is the most raw with the most potential, he has great quickness which is rare for a big, if he has a work ethic, he can really be something.

I agree about Brooks, I think he gets more efficient and improves at passing and running a team, but he made his major stride this year....in....year 3.

Budinger, to me has the best chance to be something really really special, but it is completely up to his mentality..he can do it all and he makes shots, is smart and has athleticism, that is a rare combination, the key will be does he have the mental will to take it to the next level.

DD

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Agreed with this. Plan A is Chris Bosh. Plan B is Stoudemire. They may be very hard to acquire.

Plan C is to move up in the draft. I believe Morey is targeting either Favors or Cousins. With the uncertainty of Yao and our lack of size, we NEED a big man. (Personally I would take the attitude risk in drafting Cousins. He has the physical tools and, as Drexler would say, he's all "skilled up").

If we don't trade up, I see us taking Udoh or Whiteside, the latter obviously being more of a risk.

I don't see the point in getting Turner, we already have a lot of solid perimiter players. Getting Turner would probably require getting rid of Martin or Ariza.

18. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would say more of a

[​IMG]

19. choujie

choujie Member

20. ROCKCITY

ROCKCITY Member

I'm assuming this is a joke? Because I LOL'ed. :grin: