1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Theory: High possibility of Nets and Rockets trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MoochiSmoochi, Jan 5, 2024.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

if they want all their swaps + picks back, I wouldn't give Green (just the salary contracts). If they want a Green or Amen + their picks and swaps, then I'd also ask for a Claxton and one of the PHX picks.

Sean Marks has a good draft record; so having good picks plays to their GM's strength.

vince likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

GTFO.

roslolian, 34to11, vince and 2 others like this.
  3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Wait, this is a”theory”? This thread is click bait.

roslolian and vince like this.
  4. justinh

justinh Member

hoping there is nothing to any of this and nothing remotely similar to it materializes

Corrosion and vince like this.
  5. Chayvan

Chayvan Member

Please don't trade Green. He will be a great back up for Whitmore

6. Melik

Melik Member

Keep the thread open. But they should ban you.

7. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i'd give them their pick this year back for Claxton. The only issue with him is this is the last year of his contract. What type of deal is Claxton getting this off-season?

He'd be the perfect back-up big for our team. Gives us the ability to do some different looks and give al-p some much needed rest. I could even see sengun + claxton playing together in a few minutes or for matchups.

He's who I'm targeting in any Nets trade

8. Agent94

Agent94 Member

The Nets aren't good and have no way to get better. Keep bleeding them with those draft picks. One of them could easily turn into a top four pick and Stone has been pretty good with the mid to late first round picks. We will also need to fill out our bench with rookie contracts in a few years.

vince and jcmoon like this.
  9. mightybosstone

I think we can all agree that OP has no real insider insight, and this is just his own personal hope. Ignoring that for a second, this is at least worth discussing given that we all keep seeing it pop in the GARM and I've seen it hinted on Reddit and Twitter as well. I like Bridges quite a bit, and I think he'd fit into what Ime is trying to do on the court really well. He's also playing for a super reasonable contract. But I have three big problems with it:

1. As of today, we've really only identified one young star level player (Sengun), and everyone else is still a mystery. You could be dealing someone with a higher ceiling OR you could be taking away minutes from a guy with a higher ceiling.
    2. Bridges is likely a No. 3 or a very low-end No. 2 on a contender at best. And even with his excellent contract, adding him hurts their financial flexibility as they look to add other star pieces and re-sign any of their young potential stars. If you do this deal, you could be stuck with that core for a minute and plateau as a middling playoff team rather than a serious contender.
    3. You dealt Harden for a superstar package to help you rebuild a contender. If you turn around and give it all back for just a really good player who doesn't move the needle toward serious contention, what was the point of it all? I think they'd be jumping the gun to build around a core they haven't fully identified when there's a still a ton of potential in those picks and the Rockets current prospects.

I'm not totally opposed to the Rockets packaging picks and prospects for the right move. And Bridges would 100% be an upgrade over Green in the starting lineup, but this doesn't feel like the right deal to make. I'd only want them to sacrifice all those assets for a player who clearly pushes them into a top 3-4 team in the West, and I don't think Bridges is that guy.

jcmoon and Plowman like this.
  10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I am currently leaning towards keeping the picks, but I'm not opposed to trading for Bridges depending on the trade. I think the difference is I tend to pretty certain that Bari will be the #2 or #3 piece. FVV / Bridges / Brooks / Smith / Sengun with Eason as a sixth man is a really, really good team, and one of Amen or Cam will eventually slide into FVV's spot.

But, while I would be open to a trade, I wouldn't be open to trading ALL our assets if we're including Jalen. I'd likely be fine with Jalen, this year's first, and a swap, but that's about it. Otherwise, stay patient and keep the picks.

Y2JT and mightybosstone like this.
  11. mightybosstone

I love Bari. If I had to pick the guy with the highest ceiling outside of Sengun who I have the most long-term confidence in, it's him. But I can't say "certain" at this point, which is why I still hesitate to lock in on this core yet and say "We're good to go. Let's move assets and add more vets."

On your trade proposal here, the problem is Brooklyn would be crazy to accept that. If you have a really good young two-way player capable of putting up 20 a night with legit postseason experience playing on an excellent contract, you can't just give him up for Jalen, a weak lottery pick and a swap. Brooklyn would (and should) ask for the 2024 pick, the 2025 swap, the 2026 pick and more—probably at least one of the Rockets six key prospects. And if you're Houston, I just don't know how you make that deal and feel good about it.

That's why I just don't see an avenue for this deal to make sense for both teams right now. Brooklyn is going to want more than the Rockets will be willing to offer. And Houston is more than just Bridges away from being a top 3-5 team in the league. Unless Bridges' value changes or the Rockets suddenly turn into an elite team between now and the deadline, I don't see this deal happening.

12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I think it's safe to say that his run last year with the nets was a one off fluke, and he won't ever produce like that again. For a team hoping to win a title, he's the 3rd guy. He's great value right now because of his contract, so if you're trading for him it's for the rest of this year and 2 more seasons, before he's an albatross. I'm not wiling to give up all of the nets stuff for just him, i would prefer to stock pile picks/young guys to try to trade for a real star in a year or two

vince and mightybosstone like this.
  13. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

The Nets are making that trade...with their current roster, they don't have an identity and merely just a group of exceptional role players. Given that, I see them being patient for potentially trading for a disgruntled star if one becomes available

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

As long as the Nets think they can win, I think a trade is unlikely.
    But 3 more weeks like lately for them might change their trajectory.

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

“I strongly believe” = “Here’s my total guess” ;)

Believe It!, jim1961 and roslolian like this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah I honestly would like Bridges, but the problem is he will be asking for large money in 2 yrs so you just add on the lux tax issues but with an older player than Green.

Claxton is gonna be an unrestricted free agent next season sontrading for him doesn't make sense IMO. Maybe in free agency you can do a sign and trade or just sign him outright.

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

They aren't completely out of options like when they traded all their picks to Boston for KG and Pierce. All of their players are young and on short term deals. They're in a big market, attractive enough to draw KD and Kyrie a few years ago. They have several unprotected future picks from Phoenix (25, 27, 29) and Dallas (27, 29) and $88M in cap space next summer with Simmons' contract expiring.

If Brooklyn really wanted to avoid a rebuild, which is their MO historically, they could try and trade for one of the rumored guys on the market and sign a max FA next summer. Trade rumors are currently around Mitchell, Lavine, Siakam, Murray, Markkanen, Vucevic, and Derozan. I personally hope they see retooling as futile against the current contenders in the East and become sellers at the deadline, but without their picks I could see them going either direction. They can't tank until 2027 anyway so why not try to be a mediocre playoff contender in the meantime?

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why would you give up resources for an unrestricted free agent? Some team offers him more money he is gone. If you like him that much why don't you just offer him the most money in the off-season? If you can't afford to offer him the most money why are you trading for him when as a UFA he will go to the highest bidder?

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't really see that as an issue Rockets already got Tari Eason and will get a lotto pick next year. Everything else is just gravy on top they already got good return for fat suit Harden esp when the alternative is Ben Simmons

20. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets are not the ones desperate or in need here...Nets can NOT demand ****!...Their offer needs to be really good. Otherwise, not acting would not hurt Rockets and may even help onboarding more talent...

vince likes this.